Sponsored

Are the days of Gladiators holding their values gone?

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I'm currently torn on keeping my JTR or getting myself something more comfy that is better for road trips and such. I'm looking at 2023 Grand Cherokee's.
My JTR is a 2022, 20k miles. 37's with 20 KMC XD wheels and a 3.5" lift, it is immaculate! You can can eat off any surface in the engine bay, interior or bed. It's "like new". I took my 20 JT off road but this one I haven't. Wife has a Wrangler so if I need a fix, I can hop in hers.

Anyway, local dealer has a Grand Cherokee that I'm interested in. Took the JTR in for appraisal....40k and they wouldn't budge. However, told me they do really well with lifted and bigger tire jeeps. Low balling SOB's
$40K - $43K is offers I have gotten on my 2022 JTR. That is with or without mods. Basically told by one dealership they would give $1K more if it traded in as stock.

Market is just correcting.
Sponsored

John Lenheiser

First Name
Trainman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 dr. Willys
Occupation
Retired
I really want a new Gladiator and the dealer prices are way down, almost too good to be true, but still have a hard time pulling the trigger. I feel with dealers in my area with plenty in stock and not selling too well I feel the price is still going to go down even more and Jeep will be offering even larger rebates to help dealers mover these units. I have my 2019 Ram 4x4 sold to a friend for a very good price (27,000 miles perfect vehicle) and he wants it bad and every week I tell him I'm having a hard time on deciding on the Gladiator as of yet. My biggest fear is that Jeeps in general at this time are not holding their values as they did in the past before all the 2021, 2022, problems that effected the auto industry. So here I set with my money in my pocket and can't pull the trigger yet.

STLMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR, 20 JLU, 900whp C6
Well, apparently pre-owned Gladiators can still command some money. I'm now an owner of a new grand cherokee.
At least I stayed in the family.
27k mile 22 Rubi still getting respected. My top range on kbb was matched. I feel it's pretty good considering todays financial climate.

I dealt with some shady tactics by crap dealers on my journey to getting the new ride. It was exhausting. But, when you find a respectful salesperson and dealership that truly wants to help the customer, you spend more.. crap, those bastards did it again!

Truly loved my experience at a jeep dealer in st peters mo.

ZoMojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTM (sold) '23 WL74
Well, apparently pre-owned Gladiators can still command some money. I'm now an owner of a new grand cherokee.
At least I stayed in the family.
27k mile 22 Rubi still getting respected. My top range on kbb was matched. I feel it's pretty good considering todays financial climate.

I dealt with some shady tactics by crap dealers on my journey to getting the new ride. It was exhausting. But, when you find a respectful salesperson and dealership that truly wants to help the customer, you spend more.. crap, those bastards did it again!

Truly loved my experience at a jeep dealer in st peters mo.
Same story on this end. But I traded my '22 JTM for a '23 GC Overland last month. I have a great relationship with my dealer, and they gave me excellent trade-in money for my perfect condition 7K mile loaded Mojave.

Yes, considering the market I feel like I made the right decision at the right time before any more value was lost on it. Used values have really taken a hit. Lots of new JT's sitting at dealers with incentives and dealer discounts approaching 9K on some models.

Needless to say, my old Glad is still sitting on the lot for 3k more than they gave me for it and losing value every day.

Sponsored

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Stuff
I really want a new Gladiator and the dealer prices are way down, almost too good to be true, but still have a hard time pulling the trigger. I feel with dealers in my area with plenty in stock and not selling too well I feel the price is still going to go down even more and Jeep will be offering even larger rebates to help dealers mover these units. I have my 2019 Ram 4x4 sold to a friend for a very good price (27,000 miles perfect vehicle) and he wants it bad and every week I tell him I'm having a hard time on deciding on the Gladiator as of yet. My biggest fear is that Jeeps in general at this time are not holding their values as they did in the past before all the 2021, 2022, problems that effected the auto industry. So here I set with my money in my pocket and can't pull the trigger yet.
Keep in mind that a good chunk of the reason that they’re having to flex on prices is that interest rates are the rough the roof.

If they can’t offer 0.9-1.9% financing to make the monthly palatable, they’ll have to do it another way. I.e. Drop the price, offer rebates, etc.

I got a thing in the mail from Jeep just yesterday offering $1,500 off. That wasn’t a thing when I bought my ‘22 last May.

Vehicles depreciate heavily in the first couple years of ownership. That’s just a reality of life. It just didn’t happen to be the case the past couple of years due to unprecedented economic conditions.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
I'm currently torn on keeping my JTR or getting myself something more comfy that is better for road trips and such. I'm looking at 2023 Grand Cherokee's.
My JTR is a 2022, 20k miles. 37's with 20 KMC XD wheels and a 3.5" lift, it is immaculate! You can can eat off any surface in the engine bay, interior or bed. It's "like new". I took my 20 JT off road but this one I haven't. Wife has a Wrangler so if I need a fix, I can hop in hers.

Anyway, local dealer has a Grand Cherokee that I'm interested in. Took the JTR in for appraisal....40k and they wouldn't budge. However, told me they do really well with lifted and bigger tire jeeps. Low balling SOB's
Sounds like the GC will be better used.

ZoMojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTM (sold) '23 WL74
Sounds like the GC will be better used.
It was really tough to let the JTM go but recent physical inabilities for my wife to enter/exit/drive the Glad was an issue.

The GC is more user friendly for us these days and will tow 6,200 lbs. We have an Aluma UTV trailer for those duties when called upon. ;)

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Why not sell it yourself? I haven’t traded in a vehicle in 30 years.
The answer has been hashed out a few times here - taxes are one reason, and dealing with butt-heads is another. It's a hassle, and it's a risk, and here, you'd have to make out very well on a sell to offset the extra taxes you're going to pay.
For my Silverado- I had to get at least $2,000 more selling than the trade offer just to pay the extra taxes. That means to make it worthwhile, I'd have to get $3,000 or more than the trade offer just to end up with $1,000 more in my pocket. Ain't worth it. I've sold cars privately and the last experiences told me - never ever again. "will you drive to Pella so I can look at it, I'm tied up with work right now" (60 minutes away, one way)
Can I take it so my son can look at it on Thursday (this was on Tuesday)
Can I have it so my mechanic can look it over tomorrow (she lived 30 minutes away)
Will you take...........?
Nope, ain't worth it. And since you pay taxes only on the cash difference, not the whole selling price, that's a big factor.
And you also have to watch that the buyer actually does transfer the title - so that's a hassle making really sure it gets done, otherwise as long as your name is still on it, YOU are responsible for tickets and so on.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase

Grand Cherokee. And the Trail Hawk version is a blast. Even a GC limited has a better towing capacity than a JT Rubicon or Overland in most cases, and the payload of a GC beats my Gladiator.
I love my wife's Wrangler, but if we could have gotten her a Grand Cherokee in Purple, I'd have told her stick with Grand Cherokee. FAR FAR FAR better Jeep for longer drives than almost anything else Jeep makes. It's a capable vehicle, too - beats out any similar vehicles in snow performance, very good safety.
I have to admit, I miss ours now.

Sponsored

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
The answer has been hashed out a few times here - taxes are one reason, and dealing with butt-heads is another. It's a hassle, and it's a risk, and here, you'd have to make out very well on a sell to offset the extra taxes you're going to pay.
For my Silverado- I had to get at least $2,000 more selling than the trade offer just to pay the extra taxes. That means to make it worthwhile, I'd have to get $3,000 or more than the trade offer just to end up with $1,000 more in my pocket. Ain't worth it. I've sold cars privately and the last experiences told me - never ever again. "will you drive to Pella so I can look at it, I'm tied up with work right now" (60 minutes away, one way)
Can I take it so my son can look at it on Thursday (this was on Tuesday)
Can I have it so my mechanic can look it over tomorrow (she lived 30 minutes away)
Will you take...........?
Nope, ain't worth it. And since you pay taxes only on the cash difference, not the whole selling price, that's a big factor.
And you also have to watch that the buyer actually does transfer the title - so that's a hassle making really sure it gets done, otherwise as long as your name is still on it, YOU are responsible for tickets and so on.
Papa that hasn’t been my experience at all. I’ve always managed to get 4-5K more. I’ll just agree to disagree.

The GC is a fantastic SUV. We’ve had 3 and my wife still has hers and loves it even thought it’s 9 years old it is still immaculate. With the coming electrification we may just get one of the last gas versions and ride it into the sunset, particularly if they drop the Hurricane engine into it.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
The GC is more user friendly for us these days and will tow 6,200 lbs. We have an Aluma UTV trailer for those duties when called upon. ;)
I can tow that much too.

Zybane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Occupation
Military Pilot
I was surprised at how low my '22 JTRD trade in value was with 10K miles this February when I traded it in on my new 37 F150 Raptor. Double checked with KBB and Carmax and verified dealer trade in value was legit. Had to cough up $8K cash from what I owed to make the deal.

Was surprised how low the gladiator resale value was.
Sponsored