Rhino Rack Batwing vs Alu-Cab 270 Shadow Awning

clweed

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Well I haven't made up my mind yet. Pros for the alucab, I think the arms are stronger, better squared off coverage around back of vehicle, material not gray.

OVS, cheaper, more overall coverage, USA based, not sure if made in USA.
made in china
Sponsored

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"

desertfox73

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon LE, 2019 Raptor SCrew
Anyone running the Peregrine 270? That’s the one I’ve been spending most of my time looking at. No poles required.

MotoBrad

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Subaru STi, 2001 BMW M5, 2014 Yamaha WR250R, 2010 BMW R1200R,
Occupation
Heavy Duty Mechanic
Anyone running the Peregrine 270? That’s the one I’ve been spending most of my time looking at. No poles required.
I read that the manual does suggest immediately deploying the poles for the 23zero. I like it a lot too, but it doesn't have the same coverage around the back as far as I remember.

Sponsored

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
The 5 beam design (ovs has 6 I think) doesn't give good coverage behind truck either. I think alu or ovs ias the best for that part.

Rokon

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
I now see the availability of the OVS awning has pushed out from June 25 to July 20th.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I now see the availability of the OVS awning has pushed out from June 25 to July 20th.
DAMN....going camping mid july

T-Rock

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mohave; 2020 WK2 Trailhawk
This thread was helpful, but I would love to hear back from a few of you - what did you end up purchasing?
I want a 270, want the coverage around back. I see myself using this on a day trip even, just to have a snack or lunch in the shade - living in the desert shade is 90% of the reason and the other 10% will be for rare rain days when I am out somewhere in the mountains.
I have been leaning toward the OVS but I saw the alu-cab batwing at Overland Expo and it is sturdy, easy to setup has nice features with the legs and doesn't need them unless it gets windy. That is a big plus for me. I may sway that way unless I get more reports of using the OVS without legs cause I won't set them up every time (I know me) and I don't want to wreck it after a dozen uses.
@Rokon @stephan707 anyone?

Rokon

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
This thread was helpful, but I would love to hear back from a few of you - what did you end up purchasing?
I want a 270, want the coverage around back. I see myself using this on a day trip even, just to have a snack or lunch in the shade - living in the desert shade is 90% of the reason and the other 10% will be for rare rain days when I am out somewhere in the mountains.
I have been leaning toward the OVS but I saw the alu-cab batwing at Overland Expo and it is sturdy, easy to setup has nice features with the legs and doesn't need them unless it gets windy. That is a big plus for me. I may sway that way unless I get more reports of using the OVS without legs cause I won't set them up every time (I know me) and I don't want to wreck it after a dozen uses.
@Rokon @stephan707 anyone?
@T-Rock I went with the OVS 270 and one wall. Great canopy. Use it all the time. The minimal effort to deploy and stow is why. If it is short term, no wind, no rain I don't use the legs. Three of the legs are stowed with the awning itself so dropping them is a cinch. If you use a wall you need the legs. Another tip, my primary set of awning ropes have the stake tied on one end and a carabiner on the other. That makes guy out effortless too.
I'm sure the AC is sweet too. I have their cap and RTT. The OVS came first….

T-Rock

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mohave; 2020 WK2 Trailhawk
@T-Rock I went with the OVS 270 and one wall. Great canopy. Use it all the time. The minimal effort to deploy and stow is why. If it is short term, no wind, no rain I don't use the legs. Three of the legs are stowed with the awning itself so dropping them is a cinch. If you use a wall you need the legs. Another tip, my primary set of awning ropes have the stake tied on one end and a carabiner on the other. That makes guy out effortless too.
I'm sure the AC is sweet too. I have their cap and RTT. The OVS came first….
Thank you sir! I believe that is the best option for me when weighing cost functionality and my typical use.
Sponsored