Sponsored

RLD designs pic request

Bwatson8208

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Rubicon
Has anyone figured out a way to install the RLD canopy without the trail rail system or built right rails? My canopy is supposed to be here in November and I just realized that the rails are required. I don’t have a need for the rails otherwise. Was thinking about using some universal topper clamps or a short piece of unistrut mounted to the threaded bed nuts where the rail system mounts. Would this work? Other ideas?
Thanks!
Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Has anyone figured out a way to install the RLD canopy without the trail rail system or built right rails? My canopy is supposed to be here in November and I just realized that the rails are required. I don’t have a need for the rails otherwise. Was thinking about using some universal topper clamps or a short piece of unistrut mounted to the threaded bed nuts where the rail system mounts. Would this work? Other ideas?
Thanks!
You'd need something to cover the gap between the bracket and the bed side so that the bracket clears the bed side top cap overhang. I'd say you could just drill a hole in the canopy where the trail rail mounting hole is but I really don't think I'd feel safe mounting this thing with just the M6 screws that fit into the rail holes... you'll want something more secure there.

The canopy overhangs the bed rails (and the trail rail system) by about an inch or inch and a half so there's a lot of metal to play with if you wanted to rig something up. I'm fairly certain unistrut is tall enough and if not, a square washer on top will probably give you the extra you need.

AKGerman

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Gas and ULSD consultant
It’s Finally starting to cool down enough in Texas to mount the Ikamper Mini and do a little camping

1D2D60E9-4C1D-458F-A4F5-CBFC022692DC.jpeg

D11DDFCA-E1A4-44DB-8DED-2C93737DB86B.jpeg
Just got myself an Ikamper mini and they have an RLD available too. Yours looks great! I got the mini cause i thought I'd be putting the tent below the cab level..but this set up looks nice..whats the total height you have from ground to top? 85"? Hows the weight? New suspension necessary? added the airbags 1000? you put any cupboards in? thanks!

MeanMachine

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon JT
Just got myself an Ikamper mini and they have an RLD available too. Yours looks great! I got the mini cause i thought I'd be putting the tent below the cab level..but this set up looks nice..whats the total height you have from ground to top? 85"? Hows the weight? New suspension necessary? added the airbags 1000? you put any cupboards in? thanks!
I have the same set up, took the tent down for the winter so can't get the height, but I did put in the AirLift 1000 airbags, and added the adjustable Falcon shocks - work great as my rear load changes dramatically when I go from full camping to no tent / no gear I can adjust the airbags and shocks.

clweed

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I love the RLD !!! I'll measure the height when I get home, I do have a 2 1/2" EVO lift on it, went down about 1" in the rear. I have a shelf in the front half of the canopy and a bed slide. I'll take some pics

Sponsored

clweed

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I have the same set up, took the tent down for the winter so can't get the height, but I did put in the AirLift 1000 airbags, and added the adjustable Falcon shocks - work great as my rear load changes dramatically when I go from full camping to no tent / no gear I can adjust the airbags and shocks.
I might have to look into the airbags, it does make a difference with the tent on or off. Did you install them yourself?

Lee

Hog1450

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland, Rubicon axles and suspension
I just did some research and ordered the Firestone version. Etrailers did a comparison and I liked the Firestones build a little better. However, I have only seen one Gladiator using them. Hope to install them mid November.

I bought the VIAIR 450P-RV. This way I can take it with me on different vehicles.

MotoBrad

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Subaru STi, 2001 BMW M5, 2014 Yamaha WR250R, 2010 BMW R1200R,
Occupation
Heavy Duty Mechanic
I might have to look into the airbags, it does make a difference with the tent on or off. Did you install them yourself?

Lee
Helper air bags are very easy to install yourself. You don't need a air compressor much, they hold the same amount of air for weeks! Its actually easiest to adjust them with a bicycle air pump.

I'm not sure if air bags work with aftermarket length springs though, but with the stock Rubicon springs I've been very happy with how the airbags perform and adjust for different situations. When I built my bedrack, installed my RTT, and loaded up the truck with camping gear it became very wallowly and swayed a lot from side to side. But when I put 25 lbs in the air bags, it brought the height back and corrected the ride issues. Its an awesome way to have easy adjustability.

I saw that Firestone are a little better, but I went with air lift because I like the red on my Rubicon much better.

20200919_160028.jpg

Sponsored

clweed

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Mine measures 88" with the lift and 35's. I installed the Frontrunner rack upside down using the brackets mounted to canopy. the brackets gives me the clearance for the tent brackets and also lets me take out 4 screws and lift the rack and tent off.
The shelf is from frontrunner that I had in my JKU.

06qcJF0mRpCjZuahVAPHQA.jpg

qJmoE4gcQfaEgA0SeK0JWA.jpg

2vRbQDH0SAWdK9ZdkaKy1A.jpg

O3zevJUQTT+B4rtDqr+pcg.jpg

clMnD6VBQBiUBxa6T2Ioqg.jpg

OneTraveler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Cherokee Trailhawk; 20 Gladiator Rubicon
Helper air bags are very easy to install yourself. You don't need a air compressor much, they hold the same amount of air for weeks! Its actually easiest to adjust them with a bicycle air pump.
Did you remove the coils to install or do the shove through method? Also seems odd they want you to remove the coil separator....unless some component in the air bags does the same thing....

AKGerman

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Gas and ULSD consultant
Mine measures 88" with the lift and 35's. I installed the Frontrunner rack upside down using the brackets mounted to canopy. the brackets gives me the clearance for the tent brackets and also lets me take out 4 screws and lift the rack and tent off.
The shelf is from frontrunner that I had in my JKU.

Jeep Gladiator RLD designs pic request clMnD6VBQBiUBxa6T2Ioq

Thanks! Good information! I’ve got 91” of garage. Lol. I’ll make it! Innovative flipping the front runner over.

bring44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Professor
Does anyone have any resources for the installation of the RLD canopy? Mine is coming in on the 28th and I've been digging for some sort of installation guide to get my ducks in a row.
Sponsored