Threads
Reaction score
Website
offroadalliance.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Premiere Offroad Shop!
Something no one ever seems to talk about on the forums is routine maintenance for their RSI Smartcaps so we'd like to start a thread here just to get the information out there. We want to ensure that everyone’s cap lasts the test of time and performs exactly as it should for as long as you need it to.

It’s great to get into a routine practice of checking your assembly block bolts every 3-4 months to ensure they’re at the proper tightness. Go around to each one and just give it half a turn to retighten the bolt. If you’ve been experiencing any kind of leak or foam peeling out, this should help fix your issues. Anyone who purchased a Smartcap in 2020 and has not done this yet should be due to check on the bolts to make sure everything is as it should be.

As well as checking on your assembly block bolts, lock barrels should be lubricated regularly. This ensures the dust cover plate and tumblers are kept in good order. It also makes sure nothing gets bogged down with dirt and grime and stays working nice and smooth.
Sponsored

GibbonsMonkey

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator; 2020 Ford F350
Also, make sure to wipe the nasty goop streaming done from latches every three days, or every time it rains. Whichever comes first.

ColoradoKH

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
High altitude
Occupation
GM
If mine ever shows up I’ll make sure to take care of it... but at this time mine is being safely stored somewhere in the world in a box where nothing will happen to it.

Rottwheeler

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 1974 IH Scout II, 1946 CJ-2A.
Just curious... why wouldn't you use blue locktite or similar product to ensure the bolts don't loosen?

Deleted member 28696

Something no one ever seems to talk about on the forums is routine maintenance for their RSI Smartcaps so we'd like to start a thread here just to get the information out there. We want to ensure that everyone’s cap lasts the test of time and performs exactly as it should for as long as you need it to.

It’s great to get into a routine practice of checking your assembly block bolts every 3-4 months to ensure they’re at the proper tightness. Go around to each one and just give it half a turn to retighten the bolt. If you’ve been experiencing any kind of leak or foam peeling out, this should help fix your issues. Anyone who purchased a Smartcap in 2020 and has not done this yet should be due to check on the bolts to make sure everything is as it should be.

As well as checking on your assembly block bolts, lock barrels should be lubricated regularly. This ensures the dust cover plate and tumblers are kept in good order. It also makes sure nothing gets bogged down with dirt and grime and stays working nice and smooth.
A Happy Cap is one that you don't have to do any maintenance for that lasts for years makes for a happy customer as well. I had a Leer for years and never had to do anything maintenance on it.

Sponsored

Deleted member 28696

It’s like 10 minutes max guys
It's a topper I've never heard of doing routine maintenance on any topper I've owned until this one, if they are put together like other premium toppers, they shouldn't be a risk of rattling apart or require any maintenance or tightening of bolts other than you may have to check the tightness on the C-Clamps every few years but that should be about it especially on a cap that costs around 5K. I do appreciate RSI letting us know because this was something I've never heard of.

XJFanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL, 2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
It's a topper I've never heard of doing routine maintenance on any topper I've owned until this one, if they are put together like other premium toppers, they shouldn't be a risk of rattling apart or require any maintenance or tightening of bolts other than you may have to check the tightness on the C-Clamps every few years but that should be about it especially on a cap that costs around 5K. I do appreciate RSI letting us know because this was something I've never heard of.
Well other toppers aren’t modular. This is just common sense for anything bolted together. As for lubing the locks, also pretty normal maintenance.

Deleted member 28696

Well other toppers aren’t modular. This is just common sense for anything bolted together. As for lubing the locks, also pretty normal maintenance.
You're basically confirming that this topper is inferior to other toppers.

I've never had to lube a lock on a regular basis. On a rare occasion If it became stuck just spray a little WD-40 on it and it was good to go for another few years. Had a leer for at least 5 years and never did I have an issue with the locks or bolts coming undone or ongoing maintenance. There were other issues with the Leer cap with the glass in the back sliding, so it wasn't perfect. I did have to tighten the C-Clamps after a few years when it became misaligned. Like someone else mentioned maybe they should recommend installers use lock Tite if it's going to rattle apart. That's something you don't expect to have to do from a cap that costs 5K+ Just my opinion on something that needs to be improved. Can't expect customers to maintain these things that should have been ironed out during the engineering process.

Sponsored

XJFanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL, 2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
You're basically confirming that this topper is inferior to other toppers.

I've never had to lube a lock on a regular basis. On a rare occasion If it became stuck just spray a little WD-40 on it and it was good to go for another few years. Had a leer for at least 5 years and never did I have an issue with the locks or bolts coming undone or ongoing maintenance. There were other issues with the Leer cap with the glass in the back sliding, so it wasn't perfect. I did have to tighten the C-Clamps after a few years when it became misaligned. Like someone else mentioned maybe they should recommend installers use lock Tite if it's going to rattle apart. That's something you don't expect to have to do from a cap that costs 5K+ Just my opinion on something that needs to be improved. Can't expect customers to maintain these things that should have been ironed out during the engineering process.
So you shouldn’t retorque suspension bolts occasionally either? It’s normal maintenance to anything bolted together. And honestly I doubt much is going to loosen if you aren’t running lots of weight on top. Either way not a big deal to me, do it once in the spring and once in the fall.

As for the locks, maybe you got away with not lubing them but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t…. I have always done mine at the start of each winter to keep road salt from seeping in or the locks freezing.

FWIW my RSI was closer to 4200 shipped, a comparable fiberglass cap with the backbone to support the weight would easily have met and exceeded that cost.

Deleted member 28696

So you shouldn’t retorque suspension bolts occasionally either? It’s normal maintenance to anything bolted together. And honestly I doubt much is going to loosen if you aren’t running lots of weight on top. Either way not a big deal to me, do it once in the spring and once in the fall.

As for the locks, maybe you got away with not lubing them but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t…. I have always done mine at the start of each winter to keep road salt from seeping in or the locks freezing.

FWIW my RSI was closer to 4200 shipped, a comparable fiberglass cap with the backbone to support the weight would easily have met and exceeded that cost.
I got the rack which was another $800 & paid to have it installed another $250.00 Extra $100 for shipping, I think it was over 5K by the time I was done. I was kind of shocked it added up that much. I also got the EVO A not sure if there’s a price difference between the sport & that one. But yeah there’s what they recommend & what you do.
Sponsored