OP
OP
LaRock

LaRock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S, 2007 JKU, 1989 YJ
@LaRock Do you know what size this unit is? sm/med/lg?
I assume you’re asking about the Mt Hood size, it is the small 50” wide model.

I have since moved on to another camping setup, but I did really like this setup. Its modularity allowed me to drop weight and gain MPGs when I wasn’t actively traveling. The SmartCap was well made and super functional for my needs at the time.

….Spoiler, in the end I jumped to the GFC camper, I just wanted to be able to fully use the interior space which fit better to how we spend our time outdoors.
Sponsored

dotScratchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Mojave
@LaRock any regrets switching to the GFC? I was seriously considering a super pacific, but I just don’t think I could drive it around mounted 100% of the time. It would pretty much be permanent in my case.

I totally understand wanting access to the bed. TBH a RTT with a shell never made sense to me when comparing to something like the GFC, but the flexibility of removing just the camper is sounding more and more appealing. I would most likely go with the ikamper 2.0 as they’re on sale right now and they’re huge inside.

OP
OP
LaRock

LaRock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator RSI SmartCap with CVT Mt Hood RTT IMG_6578

No regrets, it works well for us.

There of course are trade offs, its right at seven feet as it sits now so doesn’t fit in the parking structure at work, dropped to 18 mpg average, can‘t store much bedding upstairs, GFC’s tent design doesn’t provide much ventilation to combat condensation. But, it’s also about 120 lbs lighter than the CVT/RSI combo, always mounted means not having to preplan getting the RTT mounted, the tent is quick to deploy and stow, I can pop downstairs to fix coffee without leaving the truck in the morning, and damn it looks great and makes me smile.

I don’t regret the CVT/RSI either it was a good setup too.

dotScratchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Mojave
Glad you’re enjoying it! I pulled the trigger on the rsi/skycamp setup. We’ll see how it goes!

WFLYNN

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
SALES

She did great on the nearly 3000 mile trip, visiting family in Idaho, camping in Grand Tetons and day trip to Yellowstone in Wyoming, and camping at Bryce Canyon in Utah. She was comfortable both on the road and in camp. No complaints, but may add some airbags to the rear.

We saw and parked next to my gladiator's doppelganger in Grand Tetons.

Today I sold the Go Fast Camper spot I placed a deposit on back in May, no regrets.
Had a question with regards to your awning. What awning did you go with and how did you mount it? ThankYou

Sponsored

OP
OP
LaRock

LaRock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had a question with regards to your awning. What awning did you go with and how did you mount it? ThankYou
I had the ARB 2500x2000 Awning mounted to the CVT using their Mt Hood Side-Awning Brackets.

Having the ARB Deluxe Awning Room gives an amazing amount of living space when not moving often.

cajun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Gladiator Mojave, 20 JLUR, 18 JLUS
The SmartCap didn’t make any change, the CVT caused about 1 mpg drop.

I track my fuel economy with every fill up. Stock she averaged 21 MPG, tossed 33” tires on and it dropped to mid 19 MPG, SmartCap made no difference, load up the CVT and MPG drops to mid 18.
I know this is hard to believe, but my gas mileage actually improved .5mpg with the smartcap, but at a minimum, it didnt change at all. All flat lower Alabama driving. I wonder if the aerodynamic features of the cap offsets the gain in weight?
Sponsored