Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT SS Max Tow, 2005 WK Hemi, 2013 Mustang GT
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
Love my James Baroud XXL RTT. Up in a minute, down in 3 min (tuck sides in and be sure to leave zippers open position both sides of RTT. The thing is nearly air tight and is really hard to close otherwise!).

This is hard cover, aerodynamic, great easy ladder instal and long enough for my 3.5” lift and 37’s). Wind is not a problem like a lot of RTTs I’ve tried out before and read about. Pops straight up and then push locking elbows at each corner inside for super tight canvas fit. I also like that it is easy to sit up in, I’m 6’1” tall and length is just shy of 7 ft inside. The mattress is awesome and I am used to sleeping on an expensive memory foam type mattress at home.
The tent offers 360* views and has excellent crosswind flow when opening windows. If they are all shut, warm even in temps around 40*. I’ve not had issue with condensation, though usually keep two windows with top a little open.
Very sturdy and roof inside is lined with soft material. Has built in removable and chargeable flashlight, a nice one.
The weight for this XL is about 250# according to manufacture. This up high hasn’t been an issue for my except the weight on the rear Rubicon Express 3.5” springs is too much. I added a 1” spacer and had to remove the bump stop because the rubber upper portion would hit the axle extended RE bump stop. This made the JT a bucking bronco. With this current rear spring set up it is ok, but again the RE rear springs and shocks are no good IMOP for an overlander set up.
the RTT also has a solar automatic vent fan and it works great but is noisy IMOP.
My rack set up is home built, and works fine, but I want to make changes (I bought this JT in October of 2019 so not much available for rack options then. I am wanting to go full 2.5-3” aluminum tubes contractors rack, tied into a front a-Pilar hoop, would love to have a catwalk across front of JT attached to it. Also thinking about having rack built like the one that allows the RTT to slide out and pivot for leveling. One manufacturer has this but it’s been on back order for 2 years… I imagine they are no longer making these??
My strong vote is for James Baroud and the XXL is wide and long (near queen size mattress).

Jeep Gladiator RTT owners, are you satisfied with.. 831E18C1-D9B1-470F-8E2C-DDA524E32FC6

Jeep Gladiator RTT owners, are you satisfied with.. A441CAF1-D07B-43DB-9FB0-BB4702D9789D

Jeep Gladiator RTT owners, are you satisfied with.. 238F0CF0-F634-413A-BEAF-9065D8689111

Jeep Gladiator RTT owners, are you satisfied with.. E522ADB8-06A5-452F-BBFD-5147E6E08427
Sponsored

Last edited:

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
After 5 years our Tepui is showing age and we're looking at getting a hardshell pop-up, and definitely not a clam-shell.

Why? We want to camp more, but weather isn't always predicable and we can't just camp in "summer" weather. We've camped in rain and wind, and that's not a problem, really. The problem is what we just had in Yellowstone.

Rain the first night. In the morning we had to put it away wet so we could drive around the park. Late night getting into camp, opened the tent, cooked dinner, and went to bed and woke up to a silent park... which meant snow.

Heavy, wet snow. About 3" overnight, and it soaked the tent. The water soaked through the fabric around the zippers, dripping inside a little... but it was right at our heads. Some seams were leaky, too.

When the snow would build up too much it'd slide off the tent, which woke us up. The portion over the entry would bog down and catch the snow, which you had to empty before you could get out.

We discovered from an earlier trip that if you close the tent wet, your sleeping bags will end up getting wet, too. So each morning we'd take out the sleeping bags before closing the tent, storing them in the bear box for the day.

So for now we'll get a waterproof spray like Nikwax and treat the tent and rainfly in case we get more inclement weather.

Alaskantinbender

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch edition
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
Looks to be a pretty roomy tent.
Have you had any trouble with the rain gutter mounted cross bars?

Love my James Baroud XL RTT. Up in a minute, down in 3 min (tuck sides in and be sure to leave zippers open position both sides of RTT. The thing is nearly air tight and is really hard to close otherwise!).

This is hard cover, aerodynamic, great easy ladder instal and long enough for my 3.5” lift and 37’s). Wind is not a problem like a lot if RTTs I’ve tried out before and read about. Pops straight up and then push locking elbows at each corner inside for super tight canvas fit. I also like that it is easy to sit up in, I’m 6’1” tall and length is just shy of 7 ft inside. The mattress is awesome and I am used to sleeping on an expensive memory foam type mattress at home.
The tent offers 360* views and has excellent crosswind flow when opening windows. If they are all shut, warm even in temps around 40*. I’ve not had issue with condensation, though usually keep two windows with top a little open.
Very sturdy and roof inside is lined with soft material. Has built in removable and chargeable flashlight, a nice one.
The weight for this XL is about 250# according to manufacture. This up high hasn’t been an issue for my except the weight on the rear Rubicon Express 3.5” springs is too much. I added a 1” spacer and had to remove the bump stop because the rubber upper portion would hit the axle extended RE bump stop. This made the JT a bucking bronco. With this current rear spring set up it is ok, but again the RE rear springs and shocks are no good IMOP for an overlander set up.
the RTT also has a solar automatic vent fan and it works great but is noisy IMOP.
My rack set up is home built, and works fine, but I want to make changes (I bought this JT in October of 2019 so not much available for rack options then. I am wanting to go full 2.5-3” aluminum tubes contractors rack, tied into a front a-Pilar hoop, would love to have a catwalk across front of JT attached to it. Also thinking about having rack built like the one that allows the RTT to slide out and pivot for leveling. One manufacturer has this but it’s been on back order for 2 years… I imagine they are no longer making these??
My strong vote is for James Baroud and the XL is wide and long (near queen size mattress).

Jeep Gladiator RTT owners, are you satisfied with.. E522ADB8-06A5-452F-BBFD-5147E6E08427

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT SS Max Tow, 2005 WK Hemi, 2013 Mustang GT
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
I have not had trouble but I am checking them constantly. I won’t stay with this setup for long and I need to add a middle crossbar as JB says this XL needs 3.
Trying to wrap my head around the idea that I still need to carry a canoe 🤔, So I am working on a plan for that. Of course that means that when carrying the canoe I will have to take it off to use the RTT.
Probably going to go with the contractors rack I have with 4 crossbars and it is just wider than this XL JB RTT (cut bed legs on rack a bit to lower it). Then tie the rack into windshield hoop (will need rubber isolators for the minimal bed and body flex the JT exhibits). Then have a bar that attaches with welded on receiver tube to the rack in front and rear with quick release pins. This will allow me to put the canoe over the RTT without being too tall.
The bikes will go on side bed mounted racks like JCR’s.

Looks to be a pretty roomy tent.
Have you had any trouble with the rain gutter mounted cross bars?

Browning

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Occupation
State Farm Agent
Jeep Gladiator RTT owners, are you satisfied with.. we2324 (2)

been happy with my CVT mt. shasta on a yakima overhaul hd rack.

ttn333

First Name
Tuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Works pretty well. We much prefer it over ground tent. Faster set up and much more comfortable, not to mention having a little less gear (air mattress and sleeping bags) to carry. Only down side is we weren't able to go explore if we set up the annex. Takes too much time to break down and set up with the annex.

20220529_105447.jpg
Sponsored