Sponsored

Adding Foam to CVT Tent

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
Hey all. I've got a CVT RTT in the 56" Shasta size, and I absolutely love it. That is, until it's the middle of the night when I can feel my hip resting on the hard floor because the foam padding isn't thick enough. I'm often a side sleeper and that can get painful. And I know it's not a CVT issue but just something I need to manage.

All that said...has anyone added more foam to these so they're more comfortable? If so, what type and size (thickness) did you add? I'm keen to order some, but my biggest concern is getting something that makes the thing impossible to fold up.

Any experience out there with this?
Sponsored

SightsOfIron

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Rubicon
One idea, if you know FOR SURE, you are going to replace your current foam, is to cut it up and stack it. Through trial and error, you'd find out how thick you could go.

OP
OP
sharpsicle

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One idea, if you know FOR SURE, you are going to replace your current foam, is to cut it up and stack it. Through trial and error, you'd find out how thick you could go.
I'm not trying to replace it, I'm trying to add a layer underneath the current fit-to-form mattress thats in there.

HooliganActual

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
@sharpsicle I don’t have anything constructive to add to the actual question but I’ll throw something else out there.

I have a James Baroud Evasion that has a nice foam mattress and then I actually got a second fitted Baroud mattress to double the thickness and that was even nicer. But then I tried an ExPed MegaMat to replace the double foam and it was a night and day difference. Even with the inflation set to perfection, it’s still thinner than my double foam setup was and allows the RTT to close. They aren’t terribly expensive either…

OP
OP
sharpsicle

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@sharpsicle I don’t have anything constructive to add to the actual question but I’ll throw something else out there.

I have a James Baroud Evasion that has a nice foam mattress and then I actually got a second fitted Baroud mattress to double the thickness and that was even nicer. But then I tried an ExPed MegaMat to replace the double foam and it was a night and day difference. Even with the inflation set to perfection, it’s still thinner than my double foam setup was and allows the RTT to close. They aren’t terribly expensive either…
Hmm, interesting idea. Wonder if I could make that work with the Shasta size. It's 56" x 92".

Sponsored

HooliganActual

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Hmm, interesting idea. Wonder if I could make that work with the Shasta size. It's 56" x 92".
Off the top of my head, I can’t remember the sizes of the ExPed’s but there are multiple options out there; they have the Duo in 2 sizes and the single in two sizes. I wound up using 2 singles, one of the long versions and one of the short versions to best fit my tent’s width. It actually works out well because the wife likes hers a little softer than I do…added benefit is I don’t “feel” her rolling around on her side.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
Hey all. I've got a CVT RTT in the 56" Shasta size, and I absolutely love it. That is, until it's the middle of the night when I can feel my hip resting on the hard floor because the foam padding isn't thick enough. I'm often a side sleeper and that can get painful. And I know it's not a CVT issue but just something I need to manage.

All that said...has anyone added more foam to these so they're more comfortable? If so, what type and size (thickness) did you add? I'm keen to order some, but my biggest concern is getting something that makes the thing impossible to fold up.

Any experience out there with this?
I also sleep a lot on my side and can get hip soreness... I do not have an RTT, I use a Gazelle tent and EXPED mat I can store in the bed of my truck.. I have found EXPED to have the best mats. I use a EXPED Megamat DUO 10 for my wife and myself. They are expensive, but, very worth it. That is 10 cm of closed cell foam that mixes with air. They also have 15 cm ,12 cm, and 7.5 cm - depending on model and size. It folds up to a decent size when you use your weight to get rid or all the air. I am not sure how it would work in a RTT, but, if it works, I believe you will really like it.

jeepers29

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR, GC
Occupation
Domestic engineer
We use the Exped duo in our RTT. I sleep better on that than at home. The Duo is 55" wide and fits perfect in our FSR tent. We got ours at REI when they had one of their 20% off sales.

zuki_dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 miata & cherokee, 06 ram 2500, 15 mustang,
Occupation
Aircraft Examiner
I pulled the factory foam out of my roofnest and replaced with the Exped mattress also. I also sleep on my side mostly and I had the same sore hip with the factory memory foam. The exped inflates to about 4" and you can adjust the firmness with how much air you put in.
Sponsored