Sponsored

Rubicon shocks question - Fox shocks vs standard?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fiat 124 Spider, 2023 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Every time I watch a video on YouTube reviewing a Gladiator Rubicon, it seems to have those fancy Fox shocks, particularly in the rear.

My 2023 JTR came with the factory tow package; it has the standard Rubicon red shocks.

What determines whether one gets the standard Rubicon red shocks, or the fancy Fox shocks...?
Sponsored

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Jeep no longer installs the Fox shocks on the Rubicon which started in 2023. They dropped the Fox shocks. They all come with the red shocks now.

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fiat 124 Spider, 2023 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Oh, I see. Thanks!

No complaints, though. My Gladiator rides amazingly.

Mastro12345

First Name
Tiz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
my gladiator got bilstein shocks with my mopar lift was pleasantly surprised!

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Your not missing anything. The Rubicon Fox shocks sucked.
I've got a set I'd let go for the shipping.
I bought "Rubicon take-off" springs and shocks to put on my 2020 JT - give it a bit if a boost and "assumed" hey, those Fox shocks have to be better than the stock Overland shocks.
HAHA - nope.
When I traded my 2020 in on my 2022, the dealer wanted the 20 put back to stock so I took off the Fox shocks and Rubicon springs and returned it to factory - and decided against putting those shocks on this 22. No way.
I have Eibach shocks on the rear, because the rear factory shocks eventually got bouncy (even though they denied there were any problems) - the fronts are still stock but new because the originals leaked badly and it was obvious there was a problem.
Once the shocks are out of warranty - I'll likely put Eibach shocks on the front.

The Fox shocks are in my garage's loft, sitting looking pretty in a box for the last 1 1/2 years.

gonzoy5

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I just slapped on proper Fox 2.0 Performance Shocks (Kept stock height) on my 2020 JTR that had the Fox Labeled OEM shocks and regret not doing it much sooner. So much better balance and control, both empty or loaded for camping. If you think the stock ones ride nice wait till you make a change and realize how wrong you were.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Mine went straight into the dumpster - where they belong!
If no one wants these - even to put back on a Rubicon to trade in so someone can keep their better shocks for the next Jeep - then that's what will happen.
My wife keeps reminding me "I' don't want to have to deal with all of this stuff when you're gone"
That could be a double-edged warning....... hmmmmm........

Sponsored

saintpauljeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubi, '03 BMW Z4, '20 Mitsu OutSport
Occupation
Software Developer
I guess this is a puzzling issue to me I've seen come up in numerous threads, I've got the default Fox OEM shocks on my 2021 Rubicon and everything seems to ride fine to me. I don't have an understanding why they are so terrible 🤷‍♂️

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
I guess this is a puzzling issue to me I've seen come up in numerous threads, I've got the default Fox OEM shocks on my 2021 Rubicon and everything seems to ride fine to me. I don't have an understanding why they are so terrible 🤷‍♂️
Jeep people are all opinionated dicks. =D Guilty.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
When they were on my 2020 - ride was fine as far as "ride" but they acted weak - bounced after a bump or a drop of any sort - the back end would "bounce" and a good shock should go down, up, settle.
They acted like weak shocks - the sort that if someone came into my shop and asked about their shocks - I'd suggest replacing them because they were not dampening but allowing too many spring oscillations.
But then - I see a lot of vehicles on the road ahead of me where the rear end bounces a bit when they brake or accelerate or hit a bump so I guess people get used to it.
It can "ride nice" on a good road, but you'll feel it towing, in a wind, on rough roads, curves...........

saintpauljeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubi, '03 BMW Z4, '20 Mitsu OutSport
Occupation
Software Developer
When they were on my 2020 - ride was fine as far as "ride" but they acted weak - bounced after a bump or a drop of any sort - the back end would "bounce" and a good shock should go down, up, settle.
They acted like weak shocks - the sort that if someone came into my shop and asked about their shocks - I'd suggest replacing them because they were not dampening but allowing too many spring oscillations.
But then - I see a lot of vehicles on the road ahead of me where the rear end bounces a bit when they brake or accelerate or hit a bump so I guess people get used to it.
It can "ride nice" on a good road, but you'll feel it towing, in a wind, on rough roads, curves...........
I guess the “bounce” in the Rubicon isn’t too much different than what I felt back in my Hummer H3, and that I was definitely used to.
Sponsored