heyeng

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Hello,
So looking at the rugged ridge snorkel that has the low mount would this not be the best version of a CAI? It really does suck in the outside the hot bed of an engine compartment air?
However on the flip side being a low mount and sucking in the road debris, rain, and snow when traveling down the road, or is the a secondary filter someone has found?
Thanks for the answers
Sponsored

HourlessLife

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
hourlesslife.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow Pkg
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Full-time overlander
Vehicle Showcase
We are running the AEV Snorkel with the Sy-Klone pre-filter which really helps to keep the filter clean. Sorry I can't help you with your brand of choice as I don't have experience with it. But the AEV is definitely worth a look unless it doesn't work with your build. ~ E

OP
OP

heyeng

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
We are running the AEV Snorkel with the Sy-Klone pre-filter which really helps to keep the filter clean. Sorry I can't help you with your brand of choice as I don't have experience with it. But the AEV is definitely worth a look unless it doesn't work with your build. ~ E
Right on thank you will look into that one, have seen your build and a former coastie here too, retired back in 04, safe travels my friend, and will be checking in. You will be in CO soon yes?

HourlessLife

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
hourlesslife.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Full-time overlander
Vehicle Showcase
Right on thank you will look into that one, have seen your build and a former coastie here too, retired back in 04, safe travels my friend, and will be checking in. You will be in CO soon yes?
Semper Paratus Jeff! Yeah, definitely worth looking into. We'll be in Loveland, CO for Overland Expo Mountain West at the end of August. We'll be in the Denver area a few days before as I need to stop back by Juniper Overland too. Will you be at Expo?

Sponsored

AKDrifter

First Name
Judah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
If you want a low mount snorkel look at the River Raider. It's a slick snorkel made in America, contains no plastic, can run your axle breathers to it, contained totally within the engine bay, just a lot of advantages IMO over the external plastic style snorkels. It has an available extension to extend the snorkel to about the top of the windshield for when you need it. No cutting of your hood required and no road debris is getting into it.

20210419_104326.jpg

Puch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Electronics technician
Hello,
So looking at the rugged ridge snorkel that has the low mount would this not be the best version of a CAI? It really does suck in the outside the hot bed of an engine compartment air?
However on the flip side being a low mount and sucking in the road debris, rain, and snow when traveling down the road, or is the a secondary filter someone has found?
Thanks for the answers
I’m happy with the RR snorkel. In the winter I remove the upper part and run it with just the lower because snow and ice build up around and behind it and causes issues with the wipers.
Not the best photos of the snorkel, but it’s the only pics I have on my phone at the moment.
BTW. I modified the air intake tube (the one that comes off the throttle body) and it sounds great! You might want to consider doing the mod to. If you’re buying the CAI for the sound, this is way cheaper and sounds incredible. Basically you remove the goofy sound baffling on the OME intake tube. You will need to be creative to block the holes after you remove them. I used round patches that I cut out of the material that I remove. Then good old plastic weld from JB Weld (not the metal weld). A little sanding and a second application of plastic weld.
Jeep Gladiator rugged ridge snorkel or CAI D0B47A32-D05F-431F-9944-DF27241D80C7
Jeep Gladiator rugged ridge snorkel or CAI 31B41F4E-F772-4B1E-AF4A-DE98DA9DBFF5

OP
OP

heyeng

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Semper Paratus Jeff! Yeah, definitely worth looking into. We'll be in Loveland, CO for Overland Expo Mountain West at the end of August. We'll be in the Denver area a few days before as I need to stop back by Juniper Overland too. Will you be at Expo?
Hello Eric, that was the plan to drive over to the expo, although flying would prevent coming home with a bunch of things in the bed ha. However some life things have gotten in the way and hoping to be better by then. I f i do make it out there will be looking for you to pick your brain and talk some sea stories :) Hope you had a great CG Day yesterday

OP
OP

heyeng

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
I’m happy with the RR snorkel. In the winter I remove the upper part and run it with just the lower because snow and ice build up around and behind it and causes issues with the wipers.
Not the best photos of the snorkel, but it’s the only pics I have on my phone at the moment.
BTW. I modified the air intake tube (the one that comes off the throttle body) and it sounds great! You might want to consider doing the mod to. If you’re buying the CAI for the sound, this is way cheaper and sounds incredible. Basically you remove the goofy sound baffling on the OME intake tube. You will need to be creative to block the holes after you remove them. I used round patches that I cut out of the material that I remove. Then good old plastic weld from JB Weld (not the metal weld). A little sanding and a second application of plastic weld.
Hey Puch that is what I was thinking, with the snow getting it lower onto the hood may detract from getting it in there. I know with the snorkel for the Taco Pro they recommend turning the intake to the back in heavy snow. Have any pics of the mods, and have you had any issue with water settling in any of the low points?
Thanks

Puch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Electronics technician
Hey Puch that is what I was thinking, with the snow getting it lower onto the hood may detract from getting it in there. I know with the snorkel for the Taco Pro they recommend turning the intake to the back in heavy snow. Have any pics of the mods, and have you had any issue with water settling in any of the low points?
Thanks
I remove the top snorkel in the winter because snow and ice build up between the snorkel and windshield. The wipers start hitting on it. That’s the only reason I switch to the low intake in the winter.
I haven’t experienced any significant water in the airbox after driving in heavy rain/snow. I suspect that the small amount that does get to the air box is from car washes spraying directly into the snorkel. Don’t forget, there’s a drain tube installed in the bottom of the air box and it’s left open for that reason. When you plan on going through deep water, you can close the valve to prevent it from filling through the drain tube.
IMO, the RR snorkel kit isn’t for wheeling through crazy deep water long distance. More for a quick dip through a mud hole or stream and it looks good. If you want a truly 100% functional snorkel, you might want to get something else. This is the first snorkel I installed on a vehicle so I don’t really have anything to compare it with.
I can take some photos of the mod that I made to the OEM air tube. It’s not the prettiest thing but it made a big difference in sound and the snorkel seems to amplify the sound perfectly.

HourlessLife

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
hourlesslife.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Full-time overlander
Vehicle Showcase
Hello Eric, that was the plan to drive over to the expo, although flying would prevent coming home with a bunch of things in the bed ha. However some life things have gotten in the way and hoping to be better by then. I f i do make it out there will be looking for you to pick your brain and talk some sea stories :) Hope you had a great CG Day yesterday
Likewise. Hope you are able to make it. We'll be in the DIY Showcase area if you are able to come out. We had a great night. Went out to a local seafood restaurant to celebrate.
Sponsored