Sponsored

Running 37s - 3.6 gasoline w/ 4.10 gears or 3.0 diesel w/ 3.73 gears?

reverse01134

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Looking for guidance here...

Gladiator is going to be my daily driver so I plan to keep it pretty much stock other than 2" lift & 37s tires. (not considering regearing)

I've seen a lot of people running 37s with 4.10 gears on gasoline Rubicons.

Now, the new eco diesel engine sounds very attractive - high torque, better gas mileage, etc, but FCA only offers 3.73 gears with the diesel. I heard high torque from diesel engine allows running 37s with 3.73 gears but I am not sure if this has been proven by actual diesel owners.

Maybe there isn't a true answer to this but I would like to know upsides and downsides of each option. Any input would be appreciated!
Sponsored

adbeck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator JTR
Looking for guidance here...

Gladiator is going to be my daily driver so I plan to keep it pretty much stock other than 2" lift & 37s tires. (not considering regearing)

I've seen a lot of people running 37s with 4.10 gears on gasoline Rubicons.

Now, the new eco diesel engine sounds very attractive - high torque, better gas mileage, etc, but FCA only offers 3.73 gears with the diesel. I heard high torque from diesel engine allows running 37s with 3.73 gears but I am not sure if this has been proven by actual diesel owners.

Maybe there isn't a true answer to this but I would like to know upsides and downsides of each option. Any input would be appreciated!
So I don’t know what tires you are looking to go with but I went with the 37x12.5x17 KO2s and no re gear and the Jeep drives really well. They are a lighter 37 though. The only thing I did was recalibrated the speedometer and I have been getting between 18.5-19.5 MPG

OP
OP

reverse01134

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I don’t know what tires you are looking to go with but I went with the 37x12.5x17 KO2s and no re gear and the Jeep drives really well. They are a lighter 37 though. The only thing I did was recalibrated the speedometer and I have been getting between 18.5-19.5 MPG
What engine is it? Assume it's a diesel given the decent MPG you are getting?
I haven't gotten to the tire selection yet, I need to get a Gladiator first :LOL:

Sponsored

OP
OP

reverse01134

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm surprised, I was expecting ~15MPG with 37s

Are planning on towing 4000lbs+ regularly?
No but I'm willing to pay extra for more torque since I've been hearing 3.6l owners wishing it had more low end torque. If 4.10 were an available option for diesel, I would go diesel without debating.

OP
OP

reverse01134

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I guess there aren't many diesel owners yet who can share first hand experience.
Wish there's more data to compare the two engines with stock gears and 37s, I wanna see 0-60 and shift patterns on highway, etc...

Schreconjeep

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 StingGray JTRD, '09 Prius, '15 Odyssey
JTRD here. 37s will be here tomorrow. Should have some answers soon. Need to get a good baseline mpg on stock tires before putting the big shoes on tho.
Sponsored