Xxtavixx

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Hello all,
I opened a ticket with my Jeep dealer, ive put 60 miles (40 were to/from the jeep dealer) on my JTR, to total 240 miles. There is silica bleed through and rust on practically every weld. Non weldeds items with rust are axles, perches, sway bar, tie rods, some parts of frame, carrier bearing, differentials, one of the rear shields, swap bar caps, knuckles, etc. my front axle is two different colors (a light grey and almost black)

i will me honest, most of it is minor but i wanted to report it ASAP so i brought it on on 10/22. Today i noticed there is a lot more than when i brought it in and talked to them about in on 10/22. Today to show them how it has advanced rapidly. The dealer is basically saying rust is “normal” but theyre going to ask the manufacturer if this is normal on Monday. They refused to unwind the deal (7 days) and left me with no confidence they were advocating for me.

Im in FL. Vehicles basically dont rust here. Thoughts?
Sponsored

Baobab513

First Name
Baobab
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiators 2020
Occupation
Fish
Hello ,

I noticed the same on my gladiator. I bought from FLorida dealer (Douglas Jeep) had it shipped to me in california and was surprised to find rust on it. I asked them, same kind of "non-response).

OP
OP

Xxtavixx

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
This but in lots of places. Four spots in this one photo
Jeep Gladiator Rust at 240 miles? 15DC9ACC-C62F-4CA7-BB5D-F0518C20966D

Deadeye

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
That looks pretty normal to me. In many grades of structural steel, in particular, the surface will oxidize and you will see orange discoloration like this. After that first wave, it doesn't really progress much. In fact, the light surface rust actually protects the metal underneath. Not saying that is 100% the case here, but it wouldn't surprise me. If they were really worried about it rusting, they'd have coated it with something.

Keep us updated on what the dealer says, please.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Xxtavixx

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
That looks pretty normal to me. In many grades of structural steel, in particular, the surface will oxidize and you will see orange discoloration like this. After that first wave, it doesn't really progress much. In fact, the light surface rust actually protects the metal underneath. Not saying that is 100% the case here, but it wouldn't surprise me. If they were really worried about it rusting, they'd have coated it with something.

Keep us updated on what the dealer says, please.

I will let you know. I looked under a few of them there, they had a lightly used 2020 on the lot… The amount of rust underneath it gave me anxiety. It looks like a vehicle that went through three or four northern winters already

dogbreath650

First Name
Bobo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 LJ Rubicon
Just curious about your statement about vehicles not rusting in FL. Not doubting, just curious as when I worked down on the Space Coast years ago it was a never ending battle with rust and corrosion. Something about the salt air and humidity. Maybe modern vehicle coatings keep it at bay?

OP
OP

Xxtavixx

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Just curious about your statement about vehicles not rusting in FL. Not doubting, just curious as when I worked down on the Space Coast years ago it was a never ending battle with rust and corrosion. Something about the salt air and humidity. Maybe modern vehicle coatings keep it at bay?
you were right on the beach with super coastal spray there. We dont have that in most of FL. Even beach Cars in JAX dont really have a problem with rust unless they drive through the salt water at tide. I know plenty of guys who go through salt water and rinse with a garden hose and remain rust free with modern vehicles.

Phred

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Green Gladiator Rubicon
Metal dirt, dust, that is trapped in dirt will rust and run.

I see this as normal...

Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Honestly, looks about normal for most Jeep and FCA frame on body vehicles.

Bothers you too much, throw some rust converter on the worst spots and touch up with some black enamel. Going forward though, might want to look at "Fluid Film" to treat the underside if you want to keep the rust at bay and under control.

Lastly, anything your dealership does towards this will be a courtesy and not a necessity. Nor would it be anywhere near a lemon law or any other buyback claim.

Reactions: Mac

Dewyaw

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, 2015 Jeep Wrangler Hard Rock; 1987 Jeep Wrangler Laredo; 1988 Porsche 911, 2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro, 1994 Toyota Pickup 4x4. Not all at the same time.
Agree....I was curious about that statement too. Vehicles down in Galveston have more rust issues than vehicles here in Houston due to the proximity to the Gulf. I imagine Florida is the same.
Sponsored