Sponsored

Seems CB radios are out and GMRS radios are in.

5chema

First Name
Mateo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Canada Launch Edition (1of419)
Vehicle Showcase
I think there is another thread about this article.

But CB is not dead. Itā€™s just another tool to have in your Jeep. And while at it, because thereā€™s so much room and aux possibilities, get the radio devices trio with a quad band vhf/uhf, a hf CB and a scanner. With a licence you can even add you ham to your existing am/fm radio!

Bang! At least five antennas all around the Gladiator! Itā€™s as sexy as a lift and a winch!

prerunner1982

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ Cherokees
And the GMRS license fee is coming down from $70 to $35 in the near future.

Bad Luck Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR Gator, 2017Jeep JK 2dr
Occupation
Ret. Army
And the GMRS license fee is coming down from $70 to $35 in the near future.
It should have already went into effect (30days after the CFR update published), I checked the FCC system and it still shows $70. It makes me wonder if they forgot.

Sponsored

prerunner1982

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ Cherokees
It should have already went into effect (30days after the CFR update published), I checked the FCC system and it still shows $70. It makes me wonder if they forgot.
It's 30 days after it is published in the Federal Register and I have not seen it published yet.

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
As a total noob to GMRS are handhelds good or does it need to be hard mounted with external, antenna? If so can the ā€œtrail ratedā€ badge be removed and added there?

Rubi_Rhod

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR 6MT, '55 Manx Clone Bug
Build Thread
Link
Handhelds are a great way to start. They aren't at all amazing range wise, but you can get several of them for the price for the vehicle one. This is important if your local crew doesn't have coms yet, as vehicle to vehicle they work great.

I started with a few baofengs, and put one in every door pocket so I have plenty for passengers as well as on trail drives. Just doing that, got everyone adopted to radio's as instant communication was very handy. And we are now upgrading to in-vehicle GMRS for the range and clarity. But we all saw the value and need by starting affordably with handhelds.

That said, if the folks around you have a radio already, then a vehicle mounted one will give you many times the range, so you can maintain contact even on the road. As the handhelds sometimes get lossy if you aren't right there.

Together handhelds + vehicle gives you good range and flexibility when at camp and local, to maintaining connection on the trails and road up.

And @GoVR46 I just signed up on Monday as well! But for the full $70. The $35 charge is more than fair for 10 years and family use. So glad its really getting more popular and prices coming down.

And @TheSolarWizard I don't think you get one for that area, at least that I have seen. Although, there are plenty of universal mounts you could get to use that location. GMRS uses NMO mounts, not your typical CB studs, but there's also adapters to convert. But easier to start with NMO.

I got a "ghost" antenna coming and a mount that bolts to the cowl bolts just above the badge. Should be clean and discreet, and its pretty compact.
Sponsored