Service Fees and Mandatory Passive Anti-Theft

agloom

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubicon; A4
I am guessing my search-fu is crap, as this has had to come up before.
I have my order details all set-
so I am trying the two dealers within 50 miles.

both came back with about 2% below invoice- so not horrible- its not the ones we see here with 5% below, but I also don't have to do a one way car rental and put 500 miles on a new car, get to support my local economy, etc...

but what gripes me is this "Dealership Service Fee" of $199 or $299 from these guys-

and I had one tell me there is a mandatory passive anti-theft for $299.
what the heck is that?
I had one dealer tell me they all have mandatory mudflaps- that bugged me less because I knew the invoice price...

the passive anti-theft I will say no thanks.
These dealership fees- I am going to ask for the itemized list of costs and services required under Wisconsin audit- see where that gets me....

Point of my post is, its a bit petty, but pushing back on these is justified?
Sponsored

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I'll assume the service fee is kind of like the processing fee around here. they usually have reasons for charging it, but honestly it's just pure profit for them.

The mandatory anti-theft is a new one, and I honestly wouldn't take it. I want no device of theirs in my truck that could shut it down or track it. Hard pass.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Passive anti-theft is not a device. There are numbers etched on high theft parts on the vehicle. Then they are registered in a database. If the parts are stolen then the numbers show up somewhere, they can track and prosecute.

So, that's THEIR story for the passive anti-theft.

MrZappo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
I am guessing my search-fu is crap, as this has had to come up before.
I have my order details all set-
so I am trying the two dealers within 50 miles.

both came back with about 2% below invoice- so not horrible- its not the ones we see here with 5% below, but I also don't have to do a one way car rental and put 500 miles on a new car, get to support my local economy, etc...

but what gripes me is this "Dealership Service Fee" of $199 or $299 from these guys-

and I had one tell me there is a mandatory passive anti-theft for $299.
what the heck is that?
I had one dealer tell me they all have mandatory mudflaps- that bugged me less because I knew the invoice price...

the passive anti-theft I will say no thanks.
These dealership fees- I am going to ask for the itemized list of costs and services required under Wisconsin audit- see where that gets me....

Point of my post is, its a bit petty, but pushing back on these is justified?
The "mandatory" anti-theft is absolute and total BS ...

It should be called "mandatory profit to bottom line" ...

Around here that consists of VIN etching on the window ... For whatever value that is ... Because you know thieves capable of defeating a digital key system and stealing a car are incapable of dealing with a number on a window ... Yeah right ..

If you look on Amazon, you can find vin etching kits for $14.99 ... They probably cost $1.99 in quantity ...

And these scamming dealers charge $300 bucks ? Gimme a break ...

They put that crap on there and then shrug their shoulders when asked about it and say "well, its already done so, we cant take it off now" ...

It was on my jeep ... I refused to pay for it ... I got out of the fee ... But some dealers will let you walk over it ...

Scam Scam Scam ...

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
The dealer service fee sounds like a processing fee for the finance dept to do all of your paperwork, which is standard and actually a lot cheaper than dealers around us which tend to run in the 6 to 700 dollar range :) Passive anti-theft I would assume are other typical dealer charges like vin-etch and wheel locks, just worded differently. The only thing I've never personally heard of are mandatory mud flaps, but maybe just ask for their reasoning on that? I'd imagine they would at least have to have some sort of reason for forcing you to purchase an aftermarket accessory!

Sponsored

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
Once you've reached your rock-bottom price, tell them if they reduce the price another $299 then you'll pay the $299 dealer service fee.

jalbrecht55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJR
When I bought my last jeep (off the lot) they pushed both the etched vin numbers and ceramic paint coating really hard. I said no and eventually they accepted this. But I noticed that they had the stickers for both (as well as the actual etching) on it anyway (long before I got there or test drove it or any of that). My guess it costs them almost nothing and they just do it as part of dealer prep and they hope you’ll pay for it.

OP
OP

agloom

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubicon; A4
I pushed back and they backed down on all of it but the dealer fee.

Thank you everyone.
Sponsored