Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
And I'm like - what did you say? We used to do that all the time with full sized spares.
He said "and the recommendation to stop doing that came out several years ago, it's not recommended"
So wanting to make sure I'm not Rip VanWinkle or something, and slept through some big notice that 5 tire rotations are bad (and that's exactly what he implied) I checked - ok, what did I miss.
Nope, Cooper, tirebuyer, tirerack, and others, still show it and still say "it's good for 4 wheel drive and all wheel drive when there's wear on the other tires and you need to use the spare"
So what the heck - where's this guy getting "we don't do that" and "it's not recommended and hasn't been for years" bit??
When he said that I thought - good grief, why, what's the harm? It's GOOD, IMO - you use 5 tires over their age, not 4, you keep wear of the spare the same as the others for LIMITED SLIP differentials and others, and - what could it possibly hurt?

Other than the extra labor and them not wanting to do it for the flat rate tire rotation charge - what possible logic could there by for not doing it?

I have a matching Overland rim and plan on doing it when I get them swapped (he said it would cost $40 for them to swap rims on my JT, put the spare on the new wheel.)
Oh, he also said "but is it the SAME SIZE rim" - I felt like DUH - I told him twice it was a matching rim from a JT OVerland,
And again he said - but is it the same size? I wanted to say "YES, DAMN IT - it's off another JT OVERLAND - what the hell size WOULD it be?" but didn't.

Man, I give up on these stupid dealers.
Sponsored

Last edited:

12BNNT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
And I'm like - what did you say? We used to do that all the time with full sized spares.
He said "and the recommendation to stop doing that came out several years ago, it's not recommended"
So wanting to make sure I'm not Rip VanWinkle or something, and slept through some big notice that 5 tire rotations are bad (and that's exactly what he implied) I checked - ok, what did I miss.
Nope, Cooper, tirebuyer, tirerack, and others, still show it and still say "it's good for 4 wheel drive and all wheel drive when there's wear on the other tires and you need to use the spare"
So what the heck - where's this guy getting "we don't do that" and "it's not recommended and hasn't been for years" bit??
When he said that I thought - good grief, why, what's the harm? It's GOOD, IMO - you use 5 tires over their age, not 4, you keep wear of the spare the same as the others for LIMITED SLIP differentials and others, and - what could it possibly hurt?

Other than the extra labor and them not wanting to do it for the flat rate tire rotation charge - what possible logic could there by for not doing it?

I have a matching Overland rim and plan on doing it when I get them swapped (he said it would cost $40 for them to swap rims on my JT, put the spare on the new wheel.)
Oh, he also said "but is it the SAME SIZE rim" - duh - I told him twice it was a matching rim from a JT OVerland, - but is it the same size? I wanted to say "YES, DAMN IT - it's off another JT OVERLAND - what the hell size WOULD it be?" but didn't.

yep. I asked about 5 tire rotation when I had a brand new tire (mold nubs still on the tread) on the back of my wrangler. The local service department told me the same thing. Spent years as a mechanic back in the 80’s and 90’s so I couldn’t help but laugh when he quoted that same “it recommended not to do that” slogan. So I did it myself. Let them do the free “Jeep Wave” front to back rotation and when I got home, switched the spare and right rear. Next rotation I switched the spare and left rear.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
yep. I asked about 5 tire rotation when I had a brand new tire (mold nubs still on the tread) on the back of my wrangler. The local service department told me the same thing. Spent years as a mechanic back in the 80’s and 90’s so I couldn’t help but laugh when he quoted that same “it recommended not to do that” slogan. So I did it myself. Let them do the free “Jeep Wave” front to back rotation and when I got home, switched the spare and right rear. Next rotation I switched the spare and left rear.
I can relate - was a mechanic in the 70s and 80s, even sold tires as part of a job in college to make money......... and I like your idea - let them to the other tires, I swap spare and right rear later....

12BNNT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I can relate - was a mechanic in the 70s and 80s, even sold tires as part of a job in college to make money......... and I like your idea - let them to the other tires, I swap spare and right rear later....
Yeah. Did right rear first time then next rotation they are moving it to the front and then I put what was on the right rear (now on spare) to the left side.

Sponsored

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
You should have asked him about a 3 or 5 tire rotation - he'd probably say they don't recommend them either :no:

<Edit: Meant to say 3 or 6 tire rotation>

Last edited:
OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You should have asked him about a 3 or 5 tire rotation - he'd probably say they don't recommend them either :no:
I'm REALLY tempted to print the page from Cooper tires and show him the FIVE TIRE ROTATION graphic on their web site.
I might just do that - along with the other sites showing the same thing - tire sites.

Actually, I have a better idea - show them THIS -
the spare on these JTs is the SAME tire, correct?
I mean not a temp or anything.
So if I put the same wheel in it - I'd have a matching tire AND wheel -
so what does FCA say about that? ->

tire-rotation-jeep.png

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
I'm REALLY tempted to print the page from Cooper tires and show him the FIVE TIRE ROTATION graphic on their web site.
I might just do that - along with the other sites showing the same thing - tire sites.

Actually, I have a better idea - show them THIS -
the spare on these JTs is the SAME tire, correct?
I mean not a temp or anything.
So if I put the same wheel in it - I'd have a matching tire AND wheel -
so what does FCA say about that? ->

tire-rotation-jeep.png
Can’t argue with that!

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Meh, just lazy service writer talk making up shit as usual. Dealerships just do not want to be bothered with the hassle of a 5 tire rotation because of the dismounting and remounting the 5th tire back into it's storage location. Mainly true if they are only getting paid for a prepaid service plan like the Jeep Wave program. If you come in on your own dime for a tire rotation, they will do if the can charge extra for it.

I use to have a XL F-150 that my dealer would do the full size spare 5 tire rotation for no extra charge, but only if I had dismounted the spare from underneath and left loose in the pickup bed. Anything else was a extra charge to drop it.

Hipbilly

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport, 2007 FJ Cruiser
It's likely one of those "theoretical" issues that "may have" lead to warranty claims.... I'd be curious to measure around a fresh spare and the 4 tires with 5k miles on them, and see exactly how much circumference is lost.. surely it's not enough to keep your diff spinamathingin... If you loose 1/8" of tread, that's just over 3/4" of circumference, or 8 degrees of rotation on a 33" tire....
My math says, at 60mph, an 1/8" difference of tread leads to a 0.5 rpm difference in the two axles... that's not much.

Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
My math says, at 60mph, an 1/8" difference of tread leads to a 0.5 rpm difference in the two axles... that's not much.
If all 5 tires are the same brand and stated tire size, that wear is nominal to not even give a vehicle a lick of trouble if rotated in.

The only real problem I see is if someone has another brand tire that even though has the stated size labeling as the rest, the manufacturing difference in tire size may be greater and give a problem long term. For most people it would not be a problem if the 5th is used as a spare only because it would just be enough to get one out of a jam until the normal defect tire it replaced is repaired.

Hipbilly

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport, 2007 FJ Cruiser
The only real problem I see...
Or, possibly, the difference in traction messing with the effectiveness of stability control? But again, minimal.

ZTMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150, 2016 JKU WW
My guess is they don't want to do it because you have to put a little thought into a five tire rotation pattern,. It is hard enough getting them to move the front tires to the rear in a four tire roatation.

Pat2Alaska

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Hydro-Blue Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Jedi

Oh, he also said "but is it the SAME SIZE rim" - I felt like DUH - I told him twice it was a matching rim from a JT OVerland,
And again he said - but is it the same size? I wanted to say "YES, DAMN IT - it's off another JT OVERLAND - what the hell size WOULD it be?" but didn't.

A service writer is a sales position. If they rotate all 5, he might miss out on selling tires until later........... I have used two different dealers with my JK and JT and they both do the 5 tire rotation free with my Jeep Wave! I always have a printed picture of how to do the 5 tire rotation and place it on the driver's seat or give to the advisor. I do mark the wheels so I can see if they did what I asked.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Meh, just lazy service writer talk making up shit as usual. Dealerships just do not want to be bothered with the hassle of a 5 tire rotation because of the dismounting and remounting the 5th tire back into it's storage location. Mainly true if they are only getting paid for a prepaid service plan like the Jeep Wave program. If you come in on your own dime for a tire rotation, they will do if the can charge extra for it.

I use to have a XL F-150 that my dealer would do the full size spare 5 tire rotation for no extra charge, but only if I had dismounted the spare from underneath and left loose in the pickup bed. Anything else was a extra charge to drop it.
This. It's a PITA to remove the spare from under a truck. And in the case of the JT it's not a matching wheel anyway so why would they?
Sponsored