Sponsored

Shock Help - Do I really need adjustable?

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
Yes I did have the sway bar connected... unfortunately. I also have the Tazer but I think it reconnects at 30mph? or is it 25mph? It makes a HUGE difference having it disconnected as you mention. I just couldn't stay out of the skinny pedal to keep it disconnected in 2HI :(
If you use the "swaykill" option and remap the sway button to one of the cruise control buttons, the sway bar will stay disconnected until you connect it again.
Sponsored

monkeyman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon---2004 Wrangler TJ
WHAT ABOUT WASHBOARD ROADS!ā€¦I drive a ranch road 13 miles one way that takes 45 minutes to reach the highway..2020 Rubicon Jt, 23000 miles. Stock Fox 2.0 and the ride has diedā€¦Any ideas anyone? Thanks guysā€¦

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
a shock with large oil capacity, something with a piggy back. Wash board works the oil and builds heat, heat causes fade, fade causes less damping. Not much you can do for washboard. Bigger and lower pressure in the tires helps. I guess an adjustable might be better, but it would have to be a shock that let's you tune compression adjustment and rebound adjustment, and you would have to be willing to take notes and keep adjusting until you find something that works for you. Most shocks on the market just have rebound dampening adjustment 1-6, which is only half of it.

You can give ADS suspension a call here in Tucson and ask what they think would be best, they make smooth body non piggy back, adjustable piggy back and by-pass shocks. Something for everyone.

If it was me I would just get a good large capacity shock like a 2.25, 2.625 or 3" diameter shock with a piggy back, not worry about adjustability, (who has time to get out and screw with adjustments every time) and maybe add a pair of hydraulic bump stops up front.

With the hydraulic bumps you can blast down washboard and not slam the bump stops, more speed in wash board let's you float on the peaks.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
WHAT ABOUT WASHBOARD ROADS!ā€¦I drive a ranch road 13 miles one way that takes 45 minutes to reach the highway..2020 Rubicon Jt, 23000 miles. Stock Fox 2.0 and the ride has diedā€¦Any ideas anyone? Thanks guysā€¦
Fox 2.5 shocks with a remote reservoir. Washboards are extremely abusive to shocks and cause them to fade quickly. You need a larger shock body to keep the oil cool to prevent fade and if you're paying that much, you might as well add the reservoirs so they can be professionally tuned for comfort on those kinds of terrain.

monkeyman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a shock with large oil capacity, something with a piggy back. Wash board works the oil and builds heat, heat causes fade, fade causes less damping. Not much you can do for washboard. Bigger and lower pressure in the tires helps. I guess an adjustable might be better, but it would have to be a shock that let's you tune compression adjustment and rebound adjustment, and you would have to be willing to take notes and keep adjusting until you find something that works for you. Most shocks on the market just have rebound dampening adjustment 1-6, which is only half of it.

You can give ADS suspension a call here in Tucson and ask what they think would be best, they make smooth body non piggy back, adjustable piggy back and by-pass shocks. Something for everyone.

If it was me I would just get a good large capacity shock like a 2.25, 2.625 or 3" diameter shock with a piggy back, not worry about adjustability, (who has time to get out and screw with adjustments every time) and maybe add a pair of hydraulic bump stops up front.

With the hydraulic bumps you can blast down washboard and not slam the bump stops, more speed in wash board let's you float on the peaks.
Excellent responseā€¦Thanks for the quick get back..I have in the past driven a 2002 Tacoma, 2003 Rubicon, 2017 F-150 and wore out the suspensions on them allā€¦Ya canā€™t go faster then 25 and down to 10 on this roadā€¦Costof livin off grid for 20 years..Thanks again..

Sponsored

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maybe try trading into a Mojave, might be the easiest or at least test drive one down this road

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JTR; 2020 DGC JLUR
Build Thread
Link
You very rarely will need adjustable on a Fox, King, or other linear/progressive shock. Largely the adjustable shocks are to soften up the harshness that comes with a digressively valved shock like Falcon, Icon, or lower/mid Bilstein.

Digressive shocks are excellent for daily driven or rock basher Jeeps because they are more aggressive off the bat, making them good for big hits (like dropping your Jeep of a shelf) and tighter on road. However, this makes them harsh over bumpy roads, whoops, and washboard fire roads. To combat this, the adjuster will soften the compression valving when you are off road and tighten it up when you drive on road.

Fox/King are linear which are your softer riding go-fast off-road shocks that are basically the inverse - they do very well on washboards and whoops but are more at risk of a G-out on big hits and have more roll on road. Here the adjuster is more for fine tuning and you'll see much less difference than you will on a digressive shock. If you valve them appropriately, you really don't need adjusters on these kinds of shock but they are nice to have.

So if you mostly drive on road and do slower crawly stuff, Falcon is where it's at IMO. If you want to cruise the desert or fire roads, look into Fox/King.

edit: totally just realized @CrazyCooter pretty much covered this haha.
This is a helpful thread. Both of your explanations helped me understand the differences.

monkeyman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maybe try trading into a Mojave, might be the easiest or at least test drive one down this road
Have to leave the Rubicon with the dealerā€¦ā€¦..and never look back.lolšŸ˜³

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What dealers are paying for used, it might be a viable option.....