Sponsored

Smittybilt contractors rack

BrandonG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator
Hey all , wondering if anyone has installed one of these ? Says it can be modified to fit any full size truck bed . I have seen pics of it on a Tacoma and a Colorado so midsize as well . Looks like you can cut the tubing to make it sit lower and narrower as needed . I found it on sale for $296. CDN ... very cheap . My plans would be to make some custom mounts that allow it to sit just outside the bed so that I can add a topper , likely a softopper . This would allow me to have tools / camping gear dry inside the topper and have a ladder / canoe / tent on top for extremely cheap . It can carry a lot of weight . Any input would be great . Thanks

8E1FC6AF-824D-494F-9F26-4E80B5D11A90.png

32AE6F0F-679E-4A33-B3FB-FF83EFAB0C67.png

5AA953A9-9D8A-4E84-A82C-DB762C1A367F.png
Sponsored

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon MT, 2013 Ford Focus ST
Occupation
United States Coast Guard
I think if you can get it to sit a little lower and closer to the roof line, it will look good. I ordered the Stealth rack from Gobi for A LOT more money, but I considered a traditional ladder rack like this. It should support a RTT as well. I got a great deal on some used Pelican cases months ago and don't really worry too much about rain in the bed of the truck, so I was not worried about a tonneau cover being compatible with my bed rack. I have used www.discountracks.com to buy a bunch of stuff in the past...they have very inexpensive options too that may compare or compete with the SmittyBilt

OP
OP
BrandonG

BrandonG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator
I think if you can get it to sit a little lower and closer to the roof line, it will look good. I ordered the Stealth rack from Gobi for A LOT more money, but I considered a traditional ladder rack like this. It should support a RTT as well. I got a great deal on some used Pelican cases months ago and don't really worry too much about rain in the bed of the truck, so I was not worried about a tonneau cover being compatible with my bed rack. I have used www.discountracks.com to buy a bunch of stuff in the past...they have very inexpensive options too that may compare or compete with the SmittyBilt
I can see from the pics the height adjustment isn’t a issue . You can easily cut the tubing and re drill for the bolt . What’s not easy to see is if I can adjust width the same way . It says it can hold 800lbs so that great . I’m thinking I could have a bracket made that would slip under the softopper and attach to the bed allowing it to sit just out side the softopper so it can still fold etc . Also if I make the height adjustment just right I would be able to easily remove the freedom panels . I’m hoping someone has tried this more or less and will chime in . Thanks

OP
OP
BrandonG

BrandonG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator
So turns out that seller is a turd . They are selling the rack in two pieces as it comes in two boxes so it’s 297 x 2 lol , 4wp has it for 554cdn complete, still not bad considering but I thought I found a sweet deal . I will still be looking into modifying this to work with a softopper once I can actually order one when bestop / softopper figure out the new topper

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
So turns out that seller is a turd . They are selling the rack in two pieces as it comes in two boxes so it’s 297 x 2 lol , 4wp has it for 554cdn complete, still not bad considering but I thought I found a sweet deal . I will still be looking into modifying this to work with a softopper once I can actually order one when bestop / softopper figure out the new topper
Check out discountracks.com I am almost positive they have almost the same exact rack for much cheaper.

Sponsored

stingrey

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JTR, '15 Range Rover
Occupation
Civil Eng
Princess Auto has some affordable options similar to that Smittybuilt.

OP
OP
BrandonG

BrandonG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator
I’d like to see what this commercial cap would cost as it covers my needs perfectly ( work and play )

8FF415E5-E845-488C-B76C-FFB43243985F.png

BDEA0001-EA0C-48AE-B61A-99C1A2D819B8.png

9E48E011-FCD6-4F76-A95D-54899F0AD1CE.png

AFBFE2E0-BE51-49DC-91B3-63CB267825B6.png

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I think their standard cap is around $1000 but that doesn't include the camper/door option as far as I know. And I know when they first came out there was some doubt that they would support a RTT but if you are not looking for that ability the cap option might be your thing.

geneinhouston

First Name
gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys Ed. in PitchBlack
Occupation
Photographer/Travel Manager/Blue October promotions (best friends band!)
Hi all!
Hey i have a question, i purchased the smittybilt defender rack for my 2023 Jeep Gladiator and love it...in fact it fits perfectly behind my Bestop Sunrider (even the slant of both matches up perfectly!!!)... i get tons of people telling me how amazing they look together and asking me about the rack and sunrider so i am super happy with both purchases...
however, what can i do to make the rack bolts not make a noise...even though i will tighten them, there is apparently automatic loosening from driving (or hitting houston potholes ouch) etc. you can't hear a thing with music on but without, it drives me nuts haha! should i use tape on the screws or rubber bolts or what? i am not the most inclined to knowing about these things so here i am looking for your feedback! ;) thanks!

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
Hi all!
Hey i have a question, i purchased the smittybilt defender rack for my 2023 Jeep Gladiator and love it...in fact it fits perfectly behind my Bestop Sunrider (even the slant of both matches up perfectly!!!)... i get tons of people telling me how amazing they look together and asking me about the rack and sunrider so i am super happy with both purchases...
however, what can i do to make the rack bolts not make a noise...even though i will tighten them, there is apparently automatic loosening from driving (or hitting houston potholes ouch) etc. you can't hear a thing with music on but without, it drives me nuts haha! should i use tape on the screws or rubber bolts or what? i am not the most inclined to knowing about these things so here i am looking for your feedback! ;) thanks!
I would start by using "nyloc" style nuts. You can even get a little tricky and use some blue loctite as well as back up.

geneinhouston

First Name
gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys Ed. in PitchBlack
Occupation
Photographer/Travel Manager/Blue October promotions (best friends band!)
thank you so much...will definitely look into that!
Sponsored