Sponsored

Snorkels

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S, Firecracker Red Gladiator LE
wish i didn't read this comment...... now it looks goofy.
I wouldn't jump to the conclusions fast. Way a life on YT installed a pre-production prototype on his Jeep and it looked ok to me. The only thing I didn't like in that is that he had to cut a piece off which I think is somewhat not plug and play and maybe they will address that in production model. I am going to get this one - it is a pretty clean install.

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I wouldn't jump to the conclusions fast. Way a life on YT installed a pre-production prototype on his Jeep and it looked ok to me. The only thing I didn't like in that is that he had to cut a piece off which I think is somewhat not plug and play and maybe they will address that in production model. I am going to get this one - it is a pretty clean install.
I watched it too and it appears as though materials are reasonably substantial and fitment is acceptable, no significant modifications are required to make it fit.

I think it looks fine (despite the tiny Tacoma grille) in the low format, but I do think the high snorkel looks cobbled together and cheap (opinions are subjective and all of that).

The low format would satisfy my needs (which admittedly the oem air box does adequately) and were I to buy one I would not install the high snorkel.

This and the Hauk both offer no hood cutting installation which is good, I like the Hauk retro design much better than the TTG (tiny taco grille), but I am relatively certain that the Hauk unit would start bothering me over there in the corner of my eye. Not nearly as much as the blind spot created by the RR high snorking unit though.

A-pillars hiding shit creates a hazard, and in the hierarchy of my needs and desires I need to not hit or be hit more than I need to get my air intake up higher.

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S, Firecracker Red Gladiator LE
I watched it too and it appears as though materials are reasonably substantial and fitment is acceptable, no significant modifications are required to make it fit.

I think it looks fine (despite the tiny Tacoma grille) in the low format, but I do think the high snorkel looks cobbled together and cheap (opinions are subjective and all of that).

The low format would satisfy my needs (which admittedly the oem air box does adequately) and were I to buy one I would not install the high snorkel.

This and the Hauk both offer no hood cutting installation which is good, I like the Hauk retro design much better than the TTG (tiny taco grille), but I am relatively certain that the Hauk unit would start bothering me over there in the corner of my eye. Not nearly as much as the blind spot created by the RR high snorking unit though.

A-pillars hiding shit creates a hazard, and in the hierarchy of my needs and desires I need to not hit or be hit more than I need to get my air intake up higher.
I like Hauk too, but RR seems nice to me. Yeah I agree about the blindspot. I use the blindspot assist on this truck more than any vehicle I have owned LOL. I have to make a left out of my street and I angle my JT in a 30 degree angle to the left and I have to really bob and lunge to look at the traffic at the right cuz it is pretty much blocked for me :/.

I wish someone made a production model of this - https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/06/us/teenager-invention-blind-spot-trnd/index.html

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I like Hauk too, but RR seems nice to me. Yeah I agree about the blindspot. I use the blindspot assist on this truck more than any vehicle I have owned LOL. I have to make a left out of my street and I angle my JT in a 30 degree angle to the left and I have to really bob and lunge to look at the traffic at the right cuz it is pretty much blocked for me :/.

I wish someone made a production model of this - https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/06/us/teenager-invention-blind-spot-trnd/index.html
If they would just make it with a Jeep grille instead of a Tacoma grille.....

Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
easily undone too

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
looks like the RR will add to that A-pillar blind spot quite a bit. I think i would just go with the cowel look and then throw the snorkel on if I have to ford a river, lol.
rugged-ridge-hi-low-mount-snorkel-system-jl-jt-17756.31-installed.jpg

not sure how much more the mopar one adds. Looks like it would hide behind the A pillar pretty well.

Mopar_Snorkel_Installed_2.jpg

Mopar_Snorkel_Installed_1.jpg

anybody have a JL or JT with mopar snorkel with a driver seat view of the A pillar area?

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
looks like the RR will add to that A-pillar blind spot quite a bit. I think i would just go with the cowel look and then throw the snorkel on if I have to ford a river, lol.

not sure how much more the mopar one adds. Looks like it would hide behind the A pillar pretty well.

Mopar_Snorkel_Installed_2.jpg

Mopar_Snorkel_Installed_1.jpg

anybody have a JL or JT with mopar snorkel with a driver seat view of the A pillar area?
RR actually lays ON the windshield, all other things being entirely opinion and subject to individual design taste, there is a massive problem with creating that blockage.

I will not be surprised to see the RR get sued off of the market after a wreck investigation or two.

It's an absolute no go for me. The Mopar and AEV both hide behind the A-pillar if I were to need or want a high snorkel.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
so instead of this

they should have used this,
rugged-ridge-low-mount-snorkel-system-jl-jt-17756.35-installed_0.jpg

but had an adapter that comes out the side of the cowel/fender and connects to something like this.
upload_2020-2-2_23-34-48.png

I hope they re/engineer their setup to do this. That's a huge blindspot the way they have theirs designed, and it looks not cool. If they don't fix it, I might have to buy this end piece of mopar snorkel and make a PLYWOOD adapter plate to get this mounted on without looking like a POS. lol I suppose I could fiberglass over it or something.....

Man, that RR one does look like an odyssey of the mind science class modification, whoever said leaf blower attachment really nailed it, lol =(

Sponsored

RH 67

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Rubicon Gladiator, Alfa Romeo Quad
Occupation
Retired DOD, Army SF, SS.
so instead of this

they should have used this,
rugged-ridge-low-mount-snorkel-system-jl-jt-17756.35-installed_0.jpg

but had an adapter that comes out the side of the cowel/fender and connects to something like this.
upload_2020-2-2_23-34-48.png

I hope they re/engineer their setup to do this. That's a huge blindspot the way they have theirs designed, and it looks not cool. If they don't fix it, I might have to buy this end piece of mopar snorkel and make a PLYWOOD adapter plate to get this mounted on without looking like a POS. lol I suppose I could fiberglass over it or something.....

Man, that RR one does look like an odyssey of the mind science class modification, whoever said leaf blower attachment really nailed it, lol =(
I have sat in Jeeps with both the RR and Mopar snorkels. The RR snorkel was almost unnoticeable while in the drivers seat the Mopar snorkel on the other hand stuck out like a sore thumb. Having said that i do not see either as affecting safe driving.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have sat in Jeeps with both the RR and Mopar snorkels. The RR snorkel was almost unnoticeable while in the drivers seat the Mopar snorkel on the other hand stuck out like a sore thumb. Having said that i do not see either as affecting safe driving.
i guess i'll have to sit in a few snorkled jeeps then. =)

jeepguy225

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator JTR, '04 Rubicon (past: 04 TJR, 79 and 84' CJ-7)
Occupation
Buyer of Jeep parts
Vehicle Showcase
I'm going with the RR snorkel as I don't want to cut the hood for the mopar, AEV, or ARB snorkels, or block the windshield from folding down with the Hawk designs. I pre-ordered the complete Hi/Low version (sale price of $540 a while back). If the high mount blocks too much of your view, just run the low version while driving on the street. It appears to take about 10 minutes to swap out before your wheeling trip. I'll run it both ways to start, see which looks better at the mall.

I also ordered some Gator spray paint and am planning to color match the low snorkel pieces. I saw the SEMA video of the RR snorkel painted to match and it looked really nice, so hopefully I can do the same - a little wet sanding, then denatured alcohol to clean it, some adhesion paint for plastics, and gloss clear coat to finish it off.

I cut a hole in the fender of my old TJ to install the ARB snorkel... that cured me of ever making permanent cuts.

Gator paint
https://armorautoparts.com/products...ladiator-wrangler?_pos=2&_sid=06c441cc2&_ss=r

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold) - Now Land Cruiser
Occupation
ME
I'm going with the RR snorkel as I don't want to cut the hood for the mopar, AEV, or ARB snorkels, or block the windshield from folding down with the Hawk designs. I pre-ordered the complete Hi/Low version (sale price of $540 a while back). If the high mount blocks too much of your view, just run the low version while driving on the street. It appears to take about 10 minutes to swap out before your wheeling trip. I'll run it both ways to start, see which looks better at the mall.

I also ordered some Gator spray paint and am planning to color match the low snorkel pieces. I saw the SEMA video of the RR snorkel painted to match and it looked really nice, so hopefully I can do the same - a little wet sanding, then denatured alcohol to clean it, some adhesion paint for plastics, and gloss clear coat to finish it off.

I cut a hole in the fender of my old TJ to install the ARB snorkel... that cured me of ever making permanent cuts.

Gator paint
https://armorautoparts.com/products...ladiator-wrangler?_pos=2&_sid=06c441cc2&_ss=r
Have you received the snorkel yet? I hear a lot of grumbling over the quality. I wouldn’t mind either the low, side entry design or going with the Hauk one.

Which reminds me, can anyone confirm if the Hauk one has the stupid “River Raider” stuff plastered all over it? Or is it just black plastic with stickers if you so choose?

jeepguy225

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator JTR, '04 Rubicon (past: 04 TJR, 79 and 84' CJ-7)
Occupation
Buyer of Jeep parts
Vehicle Showcase
Have you received the snorkel yet? I hear a lot of grumbling over the quality. I wouldn’t mind either the low, side entry design or going with the Hauk one
Not yet, Quadratec has them shipping 14 Feb. Once I get it, I'll post a pic of the cowl installed before I start painting it. In the pic, the area of concern is the fitment around the A-pillar at the windshield, but that was from pre-production models (based on my you tube research), so I would think it's all been sorted out by now, as the release date was originally mid-January.

Untitled.png
Sponsored