Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
My Jeep wave happens in my driveway with Mobil 1 and floor jack...I hate the dealers even for free stuff...
Exactly the same here. Just an excuse to get you in to try and upsell you.

I'd rather do my own maintenance. The cost of an oil change is negligible.
Sponsored

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
No. Dealer/manufacturers cannot deny warranty claims simply because you change your own oil.
Tell that to Ducati please.

Slojo

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK Unlimited X, 2011 Grand Cherokee, 2016 Colorado Z 71
Wave program also has unlimited mileage first three years...

Your first three oil changes and tire rotations are covered during the first 36 months of ownership and all service is completed by a specially-trained Jeep® Brand technician at any Jeep dealership. Plus, you get a three-year unlimited mileage warranty, making Jeep Wave® the Only Program with No Mileage Restrictions
( Disclosure3)
Excludes luxury and other FCA brands

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I know most of the techs doing the work at Hendricks, most of them have been there for years because he takes care of his people. I trust them with any vehicle I own and have bought at least 7 vehicles from them and the ones I didn't go to them for any repairs. They don't try to get you to do extra they just do what you ask them to do when you go in. Never had a issue and I got one more jeep wave oil change left and then the 6 oil changes they give you for buying from them kicks in.

caseysgirlRN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
shopping for 2021 Gladiator
Occupation
RN
So...I just have to say that the generalization that everyone doing oil changes at dealerships is an idiot is a little irritating to me. A couple of my very close friends are service techs at Dodge/Jeep dealerships and their knowledge and recommendations for my vehicles have been amazing...some of the smartest mechanics I know. I know that ANYONE can make a mistake and there are some dealerships...or service techs in general that are not responsible but there are also some VERY GOOD ones out there. When I take my Charger for service the first thing I do before I crank the car is check the oil a make sure it is right...then after I drive home I check again. Don't let the few idiots out there give everyone a bad name....

Last edited:

Sponsored

seven30

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM 6spd, 2001 Cherokee, 1992 Comanche
Occupation
Programer
I suspect the service quality varies radically between dealers and different parts of the country.

Has anyone had a bad experience with oil changes at a dealer?

freebird_78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Took mine in to the local dealer because of Jeep Wave, otherwise would have done it myself. Not sure I'll use the remaining two.

First, had to explain to parts why Rotella T6 was not sufficient in the Gen 3 diesel. That wasn't a short conversation.

Second, brought the Jeep home, checked the oil level. Seemed fine. Next morning, went out and saw several drips all over the driveway. Whoever changed it BATHED the whole driver's side of the engine, I assume when pulling the filter housing. Had old oil from the front of the engine to the trans. Not the end of the world, but irritating, and now I need to power wash the driveway to get all the crap off.

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
So...I just have to day that the generalization that everyone doing oil changes at dealerships is an idiot is a little irritating to me. A couple of my very close friends are service techs at Dodge/Jeep dealerships and their knowledge and recommendations for my vehicles have been amazing...some of the smartest mechanics I know. I know that ANYONE can make a mistake and there are some dealerships...or service techs in general that are not responsible but there are also some VERY GOOD ones out there. When I take my Charger for service the first thing I do before I crank the car is check the oil a make sure it is right...then after I drive home I check again. Don't let the few idiots out there give everyone a bad name....
I intend no offense to your friends who are service techs. Are you positive your friends are the ones doing the oil changes? I say this because it's typical for dealers to literally hire high school dropouts to do oil changes. Thus, it's not the "service technicians" who are typically doing the oil changes. Of course, some dealers do not operate this way.

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
I suspect the service quality varies radically between dealers and different parts of the country.

Has anyone had a bad experience with oil changes at a dealer?
When I bought my Gladiator, I searched online and found a disconcerting number of stories about Jeep dealers screwing up oil changes. This is what convinced me to wave off the Jeep Wave Program. I would suggest you do some online searching of your own and decide for yourself.

Sponsored

azaustin

First Name
Willliam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel, 2014 Ford Edge
Occupation
Retired
Enrollment in the wave program is supposed to be automatic. I used it on my 2017 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon at my local dealer in Lake Havasu and it was a good thing. However, I check the car closely after each service. I paid for one service in Flagstaff after the wave program ran out and and they left one of the air cleaner clamps off, a hose (can’t remember for sure, radiator surge, I think) and a couple of other things loose. Plus greasy fingerprints all over, including inside the car. My home garage is pretty well-equipped with a 10,000lb lift, large compressor, welders, lathe, mill, etc., so I can do pretty much anything the dealer can do outside of the computer. My local dealer has a really good service center that I trust pretty well. However, as Reagan said, “trust, but verify.” I check my cars out very closely after every trip to the dealer. We’ll see how they do with my new diesel Gladiator Rubicon.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Not familiar with Ducati, but as I understand it, the law prohibits dealers from requiring the use of their service departments to preserve a warranty.
But it does not prevent them from requiring proof that service was done according to the manufacturer specifications in order to honor the warranty.

seven30

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM 6spd, 2001 Cherokee, 1992 Comanche
Occupation
Programer
But it does not prevent them from requiring proof that service was done according to the manufacturer specifications in order to honor the warranty.
And how do you go about documenting that? There is not all that much maintenance actually.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
And how do you go about documenting that? There is not all that much maintenance actually.
That's the difficult part. That's why many have the dealer do the service. If the dealer is doing the work, they can't claim lack of proper maintenance as a reason to not honor the warranty. You cannot be legally compelled to use the dealer service department, but you do use it because you don't want the hassle if you have a warranty claim.

DBT

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Overlander
Occupation
Nomad
Just had first Jeep Wave. Looks like Shell Rotella at my dealership for my diesel.

shell_rotella.jpg
Sponsored