Sponsored

So she turns on the headlights, the dash lighting goes out, WTF...............

mr. cob

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
mr-cob.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2021, Gladiator, Rubicon, Snazzberry, MANY others
Occupation
retired
Howdy All,

Today the wife unit is driving the JT for the first time, it's starting to get dark, I tell her where the headlight switch is, she turns the switch, the headlights come on, the dash lights go out. Has this happened to anyone else, any clue what the problem is? Any information you may have will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Dave
Sponsored

OP
OP
mr. cob

mr. cob

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
mr-cob.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
There is a little wheel type knob left (inboard) of the headlight knob. That will adjust the brightness of the dash lights when the headlights are on.
Howdy,

Checked that, it doesn't work.

Dave

OP
OP
mr. cob

mr. cob

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
mr-cob.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
Actually there's two wheel type knobs on mine, one is for some real subtle floor and cup holder lights and the other is for dash lights. Good Luck.
Howdy,

I know about both of these switches, the one that turns on the over head light and also dims or brightens the dash lights works, the one that is supposed to control the light level on the dash lights does NOT work when the headlights are turned on, when the headlights are OFF, it works as it should.

Dave

Sponsored

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
Howdy,

I know about both of these switches, the one that turns on the over head light and also dims or brightens the dash lights works, the one that is supposed to control the light level on the dash lights does NOT work when the headlights are turned on, when the headlights are OFF, it works as it should.

Dave
Huh? 🤔
Both dials do not control the instrument lights.
And neither one controls those lights with the headlights off.
Sounds like someone still has the light switch in the wrong position.

Kevin

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Howdy,

Dave
Your statement above suggests that you don't understand, what each of these dials do.

The dial on the left adjusts the subtle floor lights.

The dial on the right adjusts interior lights and dash lights.

This is how the dial on the right works with the headlights on:

If you roll the dial all the way down and then past the little detent, the dash lights will dim and interior lights will stay off even if you open a door.

If you roll it up just past the detent, the dash lights will remain dim, but the interior lights will activate with the doors.

As you roll the dial up the instrument lights get brighter.

When you click up past the first detent the instrument lights to go max brightness. The same brightness as when the headlights are off.

When you click up one more detent, the interior lights come on.

With the headlights off, the dash lights remain at max brightness but the very bottom detent will still disable the interior lights and the top detent will still turn them on.

So . . If its daytime and the dash light dial is rolled all the way down, and you turn on the headlights, the dash lights will appear to turn off.

OP
OP
mr. cob

mr. cob

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
mr-cob.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
Your statement above suggests that you don't understand, what each of these dials do.

The dial on the left adjusts the subtle floor lights.

The dial on the right adjusts interior lights and dash lights.

This is how the dial on the right works with the headlights on:

If you roll the dial all the way down and then past the little detent, the dash lights will dim and interior lights will stay off even if you open a door.

If you roll it up just past the detent, the dash lights will remain dim, but the interior lights will activate with the doors.

As you roll the dial up the instrument lights get brighter.

When you click up past the first detent the instrument lights to go max brightness. The same brightness as when the headlights are off.

When you click up one more detent, the interior lights come on.

With the headlights off, the dash lights remain at max brightness but the very bottom detent will still disable the interior lights and the top detent will still turn them on.

So . . If its daytime and the dash light dial is rolled all the way down, and you turn on the headlights, the dash lights will appear to turn off.
Howdy dcmdon,

Thanks for your detailed post and information.

Your right I went out and followed your post and everything works as it should it wasn’t dark when the dash lights appeared to go out when she put the headlights on causing me to think something was wrong when the dashboard went dark.

I am an analog man trapped in a digital age all this new fangled stuff overloads what few functional brain cells I have and I am still learning how this Jeep works after five months of ownership, give me a couple more years and I might have half of it figured out.

Dave

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Glad I could help. For what its worth, it took me a while to figure it out also.
Sponsored