OP
OP
Delhux

Delhux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator - Overland - Gator
Need more info. open diff, LSD, locker? Does it happen repeatedly or does it clunk just once until you stop? Have tou heard it going over a speed bump at slow speeds? Have you bounced on the rear bumper to rule out suspension stuff?

my first thought is internal to the diff. It could be a loose bolt but it should happen more often if that was the case
Need more info. open diff, LSD, locker?
This is a limited slip differential. Interestingly, this morning it was raining and I needed to make a sharp LEFT turn (noise only happens on right turns) and I needed to put a little bit of extra acceleration to make the turnā€”I did NOT hear the noise like I do on right turns, but my tire squealed and did a pretty loud and pronounced burnout as o was accelerating for the turn. Iā€™ve never had tire squeal like that on similar turns (slick conditions or not), which also makes me think something might be up with the differential.

Does it happen repeatedly or does it clunk just once until you stop?
At first I noticed a single clunk, only on sharp right turnsā€”like at an intersection.

Then, I noticed I could hear it clunk a few times (in a rotational pattern) if the drive train was under heavier load (like going up an incline).

After a while, I noticed it really has nothing to do with speed/motion/bumps, and only has to do with the rear wheels turning at a differential while under load. If the left wheel is rotating more than the right wheel while under power, it clunks. I can coast through the same turns and nothing will make a noise. I can also start a sharp right turn from a full stop on an incline and hear the clunking (like gears slipping) noise multiple times while applying load and the rear wheels turning with a differential in their rotations.

Have tou heard it going over a speed bump at slow speeds?
No. However, this morning I was driving through a construction area in the rain and for a moment while I was accelerating from a crawl, my rear-left tire was on some loose dirt/sand, and my right was on the wet pavement, as I accelerated, I heard that same noise for the first time while NOT in a right turn. Again, that makes me think my left wheel spun loose (thereby rotating more than my rear right) and causing the noise due to a differential in rotation between the two tear wheels.

Have you bounced on the rear bumper to rule out suspension stuff?
I have bounced up and down from atop my DiamondBack cover, no noises.

After driving in the rain and through that construction zone this morning, I am more convinced than ever it is something in the differential.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Delhux

Delhux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also not to sound like that guyā€¦. But I would be contacting Jeep directly. The fact that dealer told you no seems a legal issue to me and grounds for a lawsuit. By law it is still under warranty no? So that dealer should either fix it or probably loose their certification for being a ā€˜jeepā€™ dealer. Just my opinion. It absolutely disgusts me how people and places are unwilling to do work they are liable for based on self proclaimed certifications just because its hard. If it was a 10 yr old vehicle thats one thing but new under warranty I am pretty sure thats a problem. I would also file a BBB complaint specifically against that dealer. They sound sketch.
I reached out to JeepCares after dealer #1 nearly killed me. Hereā€™s how it has played out to dateā€¦

I made my appointment at dealer #2 via the Jeep app and selected ā€œdrivetrain/differentialā€ as my issue and took the first available appointment time.

The appointment was for a Saturday, so I decided to call to confirm they would actually be there. The dealership service department told me they donā€™t do repairs in the weekend, but I should still come in to have a tech do a ride-along and then plan for another visit for repairs. He even suggested I come in first thing in the morning, rather than wait for my 11:30a appointment time. That sounded like a reasonable plan, so I went in on Saturday.

When I get there, they tell me they only have lube techs there and they couldn't understand why their team mate suggested I come in.

The service guy says they only have their service manager (also named Nick, dealer #1 had a service manager named Nick) look at lifted Jeeps (2ā€ Mopar installed at Dealer #2). They assured me he was the best to diagnose an issue. I tried to convey it was a differential issue, but they wanted Nick to do it.

We landed on a date to return and take to Nick.

In the meantime, my Jeep Cares case manager (who I haven't had a chance to speak with yet) called the dealership on my behalf to make sure everything was good to go.

Turns out they scheduled my return visit while Nick is on vacation.

So the dealership calls me and we reschedule again.

This all started early March, my return visit for dealer #2 to take their first look is April 25th, and the only thing Jeep has actually done is needlessly and wrecklessly install a drag link which could have killed me (dealer #1 installed it improperly and the drag link was buckling where it connects to the Pittman arm).

So far, it is going as well as I expected it to.

In terms of following up with Jeep/the dealership about dodging warranty service and endangering life? I want to get answers and fixes first, then Iā€™ll expect a robust dialogue with FCA on the subject.

Anserkilldu8

First Name
Junior
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator mojave
I reached out to JeepCares after dealer #1 nearly killed me. Hereā€™s how it has played out to dateā€¦

I made my appointment at dealer #2 via the Jeep app and selected ā€œdrivetrain/differentialā€ as my issue and took the first available appointment time.

The appointment was for a Saturday, so I decided to call to confirm they would actually be there. The dealership service department told me they donā€™t do repairs in the weekend, but I should still come in to have a tech do a ride-along and then plan for another visit for repairs. He even suggested I come in first thing in the morning, rather than wait for my 11:30a appointment time. That sounded like a reasonable plan, so I went in on Saturday.

When I get there, they tell me they only have lube techs there and they couldn't understand why their team mate suggested I come in.

The service guy says they only have their service manager (also named Nick, dealer #1 had a service manager named Nick) look at lifted Jeeps (2ā€ Mopar installed at Dealer #2). They assured me he was the best to diagnose an issue. I tried to convey it was a differential issue, but they wanted Nick to do it.

We landed on a date to return and take to Nick.

In the meantime, my Jeep Cares case manager (who I haven't had a chance to speak with yet) called the dealership on my behalf to make sure everything was good to go.

Turns out they scheduled my return visit while Nick is on vacation.

So the dealership calls me and we reschedule again.

This all started early March, my return visit for dealer #2 to take their first look is April 25th, and the only thing Jeep has actually done is needlessly and wrecklessly install a drag link which could have killed me (dealer #1 installed it improperly and the drag link was buckling where it connects to the Pittman arm).

So far, it is going as well as I expected it to.

In terms of following up with Jeep/the dealership about dodging warranty service and endangering life? I want to get answers and fixes first, then Iā€™ll expect a robust dialogue with FCA on the subject.
U found the issue? My friend tightened up a couple loose bolts and I can still hear the clunking noise. Been dying to find out whatā€™s wrong for 3 weeks

OP
OP
Delhux

Delhux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
U found the issue? My friend tightened up a couple loose bolts and I can still hear the clunking noise. Been dying to find out whatā€™s wrong for 3 weeks
I havenā€™t confirmed it, but I believe everything points to an issue within the rear differential.

Anserkilldu8

First Name
Junior
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator mojave
I havenā€™t confirmed it, but I believe everything points to an issue within the rear differential.
Thanks for the quick reply. Im going to get my gladiator checked out on Monday by a well known mechanic that specializes on jeeps. Iā€™ll keep you posted on what he says.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Delhux

Delhux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the truck at dealer #2 right nowā€”theyā€™ve ordered clutch packs for the limited slip differential.

Iā€™m hoping that solves it. Iā€™ll update when I know.

RTB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I had a lot of clunking noises at slow speeds and on inclines. The dealership changed my ball joints but that didnā€™t help. After a few visits they finally found the source. The skid plates have nuts welded into the frame. All the welds were broken. They installed locking nuts and problem solved. Might not be whatā€™s going on with your Gladiator but worth checking.

Anserkilldu8

First Name
Junior
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator mojave
I have the truck at dealer #2 right nowā€”theyā€™ve ordered clutch packs for the limited slip differential.

Iā€™m hoping that solves it. Iā€™ll update when I know.
They still canā€™t find the issue!! Any luck?

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Mojave, 20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD,
An LSD you say. Ugh, you may have the Trac lok failure that is pretty common on the JK's. Symptoms are as you describe. A quick test would be to drain the rear differential and see if you get any metal fragments. If so most likely your spider gears are chipped and the clunk you hear is from the gearset.

redwater7

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 2017 JK
Occupation
Journeyman Tool Maker
I have the same exact problem. I took a Go Pro video from multiple angles and narrowed it down to the pinion are or the rear end. Armed with the videos I went to the dealer and showed them. They took off the diff cover and it was full of metal shavings. Itā€™s there right now getting the differential rebuilt.

Sponsored

Anserkilldu8

First Name
Junior
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator mojave
Really? Thatā€™s sucks man but at least itā€™s getting fixed by the dealer. My noise is coming from like the drive shaft on the right side passenger like the center of my truck!! Itā€™s weird. Idk how to post videos on here to show you. But the sound sounds like the video on this thread.

Anserkilldu8

First Name
Junior
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator mojave
I have the same exact problem. I took a Go Pro video from multiple angles and narrowed it down to the pinion are or the rear end. Armed with the videos I went to the dealer and showed them. They took off the diff cover and it was full of metal shavings. Itā€™s there right now getting the differential rebuilt.
Really? Thatā€™s sucks man but at least itā€™s getting fixed by the dealer. My noise is coming from like the drive shaft on the right side passenger like the center of my truck!! Itā€™s weird. Idk how to post videos on here to show you. But the sound sounds like the video on this thread.

Anserkilldu8

First Name
Junior
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator mojave

Willys2Gladiator

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Same clunk turning right. Not the diff for I can just sit still and turn steering wheel back and forth and hear clunk. Checked ball joints and all torque correctly. Checked all steering components, suspension and nothing.
I'll figure it out soon. Have to get the wife in and turn back and forth and crawl under to listen/ feel and hopefully locate it.

Anserkilldu8

First Name
Junior
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator mojave
Same clunk turning right. Not the diff for I can just sit still and turn steering wheel back and forth and hear clunk. Checked ball joints and all torque correctly. Checked all steering components, suspension and nothing.
I'll figure it out soon. Have to get the wife in and turn back and forth and crawl under to listen/ feel and hopefully locate it.
mine doesnā€™t clunk at a stand still. Itā€™s when Iā€™m going pretty slow and turn left or right and go over a little dip. So when it flexing it makes that noise itā€™s really strange
Sponsored