Sponsored

So this wasn't a great idea.

shyoung1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave(SOLD) 2023 F350 Superduty
So this wasn't a great idea, ya we have all had those before
Yep! Back in the 70ā€™s, off road raced a CJ5, and flat towed it behind a ā€˜73 Bronco!

And to beat that, my buddy made a trailer out of a boat trailer to tow his race Bronco behind his pickup. Late one night coming home from a race, he gets on the CB and says ā€œhey, one of my trailer tires just passed me!ā€
We didnā€™t know much about towing ratings, capacities, etc. The front wheels of the boat trailer pulled right thru the lugs with the weight of the Bronco on them. Never did find the other one in the dark at 2am!
We all do stuff we can look back as kind of stupid, and hopefully we learn from those mistakes.
I understand the OP completely, and glad he posted!

OP
OP
Scratch

Scratch

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Gator, 2019 JL Mojave Bikini, 2011 JK Sport
Yup, and some people even survive them!

I always think of this when people bitch about the ā€œNanny stateā€. Does it exist, yeah it does. Would you REALLY rather DIE from some stupid mistake you made. Like the young guy from the Star Trek remake that got squished to death against a wrought iron gate by his Jeep because he stupidly forgot to put it in Park (And all the other ones too that werenā€™t famous).

Yeah, make all the references to Darwinism you want but if itā€™s your mistake and yourself or your loved one that gets maimed or killed Iā€™d rather have a little nanny-ism save me/them.
Wow.......your mask is down!

OP
OP
Scratch

Scratch

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep! Back in the 70ā€™s, off road raced a CJ5, and flat towed it behind a ā€˜73 Bronco!

And to beat that, my buddy made a trailer out of a boat trailer to tow his race Bronco behind his pickup. Late one night coming home from a race, he gets on the CB and says ā€œhey, one of my trailer tires just passed me!ā€
We didnā€™t know much about towing ratings, capacities, etc. The front wheels of the boat trailer pulled right thru the lugs with the weight of the Bronco on them. Never did find the other one in the dark at 2am!
We all do stuff we can look back as kind of stupid, and hopefully we learn from those mistakes.
I understand the OP completely, and glad he posted!
I wish I had one or two of the broncos I owned back then. They rode like crap. Had no leg room, didn't stop worth damn....but man were they cool.
And man I cant tell you how many water pumps I changed in old school Broncos

Sponsored

InvertedAerialX

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
waiting on 2023 Gladiator Diesel (long story)
Occupation
Flight Dispatcher / Aircraft Maintenance Engineer /
Wow! Remind me to NEVER admit a mistake on this forum. Holy crap. These are the people I will be waving to when I get my Jeep? Guess I should be expecting a finger. I seriously hope the the poor people who recently lost a child on the trail don't come into this forum and say they made a mistake...hate to see what you people would say to them...

Dryfly24

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2016 Indian Springfield
Occupation
Retired and loving it
So you think towing a 4900lb trailer with no trailer brakes with a mid size pickup that weighs roughly the same is a good idea?

Okay, great. Let me know next time so I can steer clear of you at all times. Your jeeps brakes are designed to stop one jeep, not two.
It's not too late to delete this and not let anyone new know you tried this and think just because it's within the tow rating you can do it safely. Most states require trailer brakes once the load is over 3000lbs
Calm the F down there Judgey McJudger. You ever make a mistake and own up to it? Probably not, huh?

I mean the part where you owned up to it, not the part where you made a mistake. Iā€™m sure youā€™ve made lots of those.

Man, Iā€™d hate to be one of your kidsā€¦

FloridaJT6MT

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport Willys

sarguy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
AS you said find a cheap used Brake Buddy. My 2 door would shove my F150 around in the wind so I can imagine a 4 door on the JT to be worse. I already have the brake buddy for towing behind the MH so it was nice when we moved to hook up to the Uhaul also. Some dont like the brake buddy but its simple and can go from vehicle t vehicle.

OP
OP
Scratch

Scratch

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AS you said find a cheap used Brake Buddy. My 2 door would shove my F150 around in the wind so I can imagine a 4 door on the JT to be worse. I already have the brake buddy for towing behind the MH so it was nice when we moved to hook up to the Uhaul also. Some dont like the brake buddy but its simple and can go from vehicle t vehicle.
So seriously....I have never owned a smaller truck. While I have had many Jeeps I've always had at least a 3/4 ton truck.
While the JT amazes me with its abilities it is a small vehicle.
This was dumb, scary and I disconnected it in about a block.
It was a serious learning experience that I thought I would share with the forum.
Thanks for those of you that see it as that.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I admit - my severe (and I mean severe even by medical standards) ADHD first reaction was to want to smack the guy hard for being an idiot - then I got distracted (HAHA, never happens - SQUIRREL!) and read it again and realized he wasn't advocating, he was in a sense saying "I did something really dumb, was lucky - don't do what I did" - in the end, a public service message.
Was it dumb? Heck yeah - someone could have gotten hurt - the OP or some kid on a motorcycle not able to get out of his way...... but - you can bet your sweet Aunt Bippy he won't be doing that again. Lesson learned.
It was dumb. It should have been thought of as a 4,000+ pound trailer - and no trailer brakes. But I think likely he thought "look at all the Jeeps getting flat towed daily" without thinking further.
Lesson learned. Luckily not a killer of a lesson - and he'll never forget that feeling and will now be among the first to speak up suggesting others never do such a thing.
Luckily I forced myself to step back (or one or the cats did, don't even recall what the distraction was)
In a sense - I GOT LUCKY and didn't follow my gut or first instinct!
To the OP - gee, that was sure dumb! ;-)
PS to the OP - took a man to own up to a potentially bad thing and telling others what not to do - and 3 points for even suggesting a next step for yourself and others - a braking device.
Lesson learned by OP - I think he's hoping it's a lesson learned by others before they try such a thing - and end up in disaster.

The internet - takes the place of a Roman Colosseum for public flogging. Throw 'em to the lions!
Unfortunately, too often I've been among those in the stands applauding the lions.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
For your reading pleasure:
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/assholes-giving-the-bird.43664/

Thatā€™s what I was thinkingā€¦šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø
Shortly after my divorce years ago we had a visitation arrangement where I'd meet her half-way and pick up the boys every-other Friday for the weekend. It was a long drive on I35, often a lot of truck traffic and sometimes traffic from ISU games. It could be fun trying to get through the trucks and other slower vehicles to maintain speed.
One evening we were in that heavy traffic, I was trying to get through a log jam of trucks and a guy behind me was chomping at the bit to slide around us, hell-bent for election. He was riding our butt, moving back and forth trying to find a squeeze through point.
I might add, he was driving an oldsmobile - the sort with the pinched looking tail, the rear quarters swept in, what I call an old man's car (because that's typically what we see around here)
Anyway, there was a chance for me to zip around another truck and pull back into the right lane. As predicted, he zipped around, his sun roof open, hand high in the air flying his middle finger flag. My oldest son piped up "I wonder what his problem is?" and his younger brother (about 6 or 7 at the time, spoke up "he's just mad because the back of his car looks like a butt"
I couldn't stop laughing.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I dolly trailer towed my son's car one time in my then JKU and was at the max rated limit. Smoked and warped my front brake on that trip and learned that lesson also to either downrate my load or tow with a trailer brake setup if possible.

Last edited:

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
Wow! Remind me to NEVER admit a mistake on this forum. Holy crap. These are the people I will be waving to when I get my Jeep? Guess I should be expecting a finger. I seriously hope the the poor people who recently lost a child on the trail don't come into this forum and say they made a mistake...hate to see what you people would say to them...
It was only really 1 person being an ass, just look at the rest of their history and you'll see it's more of a trend really. Just ignore it. OP learned something, it's not something I would've thought of either probably, but I also drive like an old man lol.

Agyoung35

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
It was only really 1 person being an ass, just look at the rest of their history and you'll see it's more of a trend really. Just ignore it. OP learned something, it's not something I would've thought of either probably, but I also drive like an old man lol.
Iā€™ve noticed since joining the forum admittedly only like a month ago that while most people are great thereā€™s also some really toxic people. Youā€™ve just got to ignore the toxic ones although it does make me wish for a Reddit like downvote sometimes to get rid of the really toxic ones. Thanks op for posting so someone down the road might notice and not do it.
Sponsored