Sponsored

So what about those factory V8 Gladiator rumors?

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
Why do these threads always end up talking about EV's and such? If I wanted an EV, I would have bought one and be on a different forum.
I would take a reliable Ecodiesel plug in hybrid if it penciled out. I could drive it to work on electric, have a little boost in passing power, but still have the ICE for the longer trips where there are no (and never will be) charging stations.
Sponsored

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
I would take a reliable Ecodiesel plug in hybrid if it penciled out. I could drive it to work on electric, have a little boost in passing power, but still have the ICE for the longer trips where there are no (and never will be) charging stations.
Can you see them putting charging stations on the trails in Moab?

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
Can you see them putting charging stations on the trails in Moab?
I think eventually a destination location like Moab could have charging near the trailheads, but most of the places I go in the outback won't because there isn't enough visitors and it's so remote.......This is the reason I go there! ;)

From what I've seen is the 4XE only gets 10ish miles of electric range so not good for much with that little engine since what I do the most of is towing/climbing hills? I figure the battery would be dead before I get out of town and then the little 4 banger will be heaving it's guts out trying to tow 4000lb up the 9% leaving town?

I'm thinking the next generation of EV's will be better with the increase of battery/charging voltage. This will reduce the charging times required to maybe like 15-25mins in my estimation if voltage is doubled?

Also I can't see how the grid in it's current configuration is going to handle the loads. I'm assuming the only efficient way to do this is by increasing the voltage supplied to the service location and maybe each location having it's own transformer to step voltage down for the 120/240v requirements. Could you imagine getting 480V or 960V service to your house allowing a smaller wire run or double/quadruple the KW rating of the incoming line? Maybe A/C could also be run at higher voltage for better efficiency?

I think partial fleet electrification is possible with changes to the infrastructure, but ICE engines aren't going away any time soon.

onewhippedpuppy

Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Aerospace
Why do these threads always end up talking about EV's and such? If I wanted an EV, I would have bought one and be on a different forum.
Because somebody always busts out some stupid MSNBC BS about how ICE is dead and EVs are the only future we get to choose from. Meanwhile despite high gas prices people are buying full sized trucks and SUVs like crazy, so I guess the average American didnā€™t get the memo. Sleepy Joe will NOT approve!

XJFanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL, 2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Also, lol at people pretending that a standard JT is a practical purchase and going with a 392 is somehow compensating. We drive trucks that are slow, handle poorly, get terrible gas mileage, canā€™t haul much, canā€™t tow much, are expensive, and are designed for a purpose that probably 95%+ donā€™t actually utilize.
Hell yeah, cus ā€˜Merica!

Sponsored

onewhippedpuppy

Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Aerospace
Hell yeah, cus ā€˜Merica!
Damn right! The government telling me I shouldnā€™t drive stuff like this just makes me love it more.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
I think eventually a destination location like Moab could have charging near the trailheads, but most of the places I go in the outback won't because there isn't enough visitors and it's so remote.......This is the reason I go there! ;)

From what I've seen is the 4XE only gets 10ish miles of electric range so not good for much with that little engine since what I do the most of is towing/climbing hills? I figure the battery would be dead before I get out of town and then the little 4 banger will be heaving it's guts out trying to tow 4000lb up the 9% leaving town?

I'm thinking the next generation of EV's will be better with the increase of battery/charging voltage. This will reduce the charging times required to maybe like 15-25mins in my estimation if voltage is doubled?

Also I can't see how the grid in it's current configuration is going to handle the loads. I'm assuming the only efficient way to do this is by increasing the voltage supplied to the service location and maybe each location having it's own transformer to step voltage down for the 120/240v requirements. Could you imagine getting 480V or 960V service to your house allowing a smaller wire run or double/quadruple the KW rating of the incoming line? Maybe A/C could also be run at higher voltage for better efficiency?

I think partial fleet electrification is possible with changes to the infrastructure, but ICE engines aren't going away any time soon.
I would love to have 480V at the house. Then I could run a lathe, mill, welder and some other equipment.

Our grid is not able to handle an increase in load now. And it is not going to be able to in the future either. Unless the gov't makes some rule changes. You have the NIMBY's being the road block. (NIMBY = Not In My Back Yard) They have already blocked transmission lines in some states. Blocked wind and, solar farms. They would have a melt down if a power plant was purposed in their neighborhood.
Sponsored

Last edited: