Sponsored

So what about those factory V8 Gladiator rumors?

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
You are kidding right??

My gladiator is good for about 280 miles between fill ups. Yes, its technically got a 20 gal tank. But my range readout goes to "low" or zero, I forget, with 2 gal left. So if I run it until its on "reserve" I get about 300 miles.
My f150 has a 26 gal tank and gets 20 mpg. So about 500 miles on a tank. Full size truck though, so a bigger tank and longer range is expected.

Google says the Ford Ranger is 18 gal with a 378 mile city range/468 hwy.
Sponsored

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
Most cars today can do anywhere from 400-500 miles depending on gas tank size and fuel economy. The infrastructure is set up so you can easily take a vehicle cross country without worry of running out of gas. This is a standard today, being able to go cross country. Electric vehicles cannot do this. The 500 miles is a arbitrary base standard to meet a goal of being able to go cross country. Infrastructure will be the last thing that goes into place so having a vehicle that can extend to the next charging station is going to be critical to not be stranded in the middle of no where.
Not sure what you're driving, but I haven't owned a car that could go even 400 miles since my wife's Ford fusion that sipped gas and had a big tank. My recentish vehicles have all been firmly in the 280-300ish range including 4 trucks, a sedan and 3 SUVs.

So i decided to go back and look, and sure enough a lot of my cars were "rated" for over 400, but on the highway in real world driving on the highway my idiot light would come on around 300-325 or less. I'm assuming thats because i drive at 75-80 to keep up with traffic, and actually use the accerlator vs the completely inaccurate EPA tests. Probably could have gotten 40-50 more miles if i wanted to run it bone dry, but i'm not in to that. I'd still be happy with a true real world 300 mile range between "charge/fill ups".

Last edited:

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
You are kidding right??

My gladiator is good for about 280 miles between fill ups. Yes, its technically got a 20 gal tank. But my range readout goes to "low" or zero, I forget, with 2 gal left. So if I run it until its on "reserve" I get about 300 miles.
I can get at least 400 miles on a full tank. That is freeway driving, with a stock Overland, staying within 5mph of the posted speed limit. I've only done it twice. I stop and fill up when it gets down around a quarter tank.

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
Not sure what you're driving, but I haven't owned a car that could go even 400 miles since my wife's Ford fusion that sipped gas and had a big tank. My recentish vehicles have all been firmly in the 280-300ish range including 4 trucks, a sedan and 3 SUVs.

So i decided to go back and look, and sure enough a lot of my cars were "rated" for over 400, but on the highway in real world driving on the highway my idiot light would come on around 300-325 or less. I'm assuming thats because i drive at 75-80 to keep up with traffic, and actually use the accerlator vs the completely inaccurate EPA tests. Probably could have gotten 40-50 more miles if i wanted to run it bone dry, but i'm not in to that. I'd still be happy with a true real world 300 mile range between "charge/fill ups".
What kind of trucks?

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
What kind of trucks?
2021 Gladiator
2019 Ram 1500 with the Hemi and 35's (absolute dream of a truck, was fantastic)
2017(I think?) F150 ecoboost (this truck was a real piece of sh** in terms of quality and reliability)
2012 Tundra Rock Warrior with the big 5.7, 4.30's and some beefy tires.

Working the numbers I guess most of them had a RW (for me) max range of 350-390 highway with idiot lights coming on with about 10-15% of the range left.

The SUV's were a cx 5 with max range was legit 300 miles, the benz was ok at 375 but was premium, the mdx was also around 375 max, and the wife's JLU 4XE is the most laughable at a 310 max miles. if including full tank and charge (280-290 gas only and the light actually comes on with like 50 miles of range left so it feels extra short).

The best highway car I actually had for range was my 2006 cayman s, could cruise at 80 and still get nearly 26 mpg with a 17 gallon tank.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Cpt Adama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep Wrangler XL

From Autopadre: An average and very popular 4 door sedan. You can look up what ever manufacturer you like from Ford, Buick, GM, Toyota, whatever they all have multiple 4 door sedans with comparable milage as this, there are many models.

On a full tank of fuel, the 2022 Honda Accord has a maximum highway driving range between 473 and 601 miles depending on the trim level.

Call it a low average of 500 miles, depending on what features and engine you get. Obviously your going to want to stop when your gas light comes on but that usually will give you anywhere from 25-50 miles depending on your model. The end all of my argument is that electric vehicles do not yet have the same range as your average typical everyday sedan, and until they do they can't do cross country.

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
From Autopadre: An average and very popular 4 door sedan. You can look up what ever manufacturer you like from Ford, Buick, GM, Toyota, whatever they all have multiple 4 door sedans with comparable milage as this, there are many models.

On a full tank of fuel, the 2022 Honda Accord has a maximum highway driving range between 473 and 601 miles depending on the trim level.

Call it a low average of 500 miles, depending on what features and engine you get. Obviously your going to want to stop when your gas light comes on but that usually will give you anywhere from 25-50 miles depending on your model. The end all of my argument is that electric vehicles do not yet have the same range as your average typical everyday sedan, and until they do they can't do cross country.
If you need a 5-600 mile range to drive cross country then I guess no one can possibly tow with anything but a semi cross country and none of my trucks would make it. Seriously no one needs to drive 7+ hours non stop. Usually you drive 3-4 hours which is 280 to 320 miles. If youre towing you may be well under 250 miles even, but it's not a big deal because you fill up in 10 minutes. If an electric car can drive for 3-4 hours and fill up in 10-15 minutes then it would make the drive exactly like an ICE today

Rocksalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
I dont get it.. who needs extra horsepower to the tune of 8 mpg? Makes no sense to me other than burning rubber and $$

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
2021 Gladiator
2019 Ram 1500 with the Hemi and 35's (absolute dream of a truck, was fantastic)
2017(I think?) F150 ecoboost (this truck was a real piece of sh** in terms of quality and reliability)
2012 Tundra Rock Warrior with the big 5.7, 4.30's and some beefy tires.

Working the numbers I guess most of them had a RW (for me) max range of 350-390 highway with idiot lights coming on with about 10-15% of the range left.

The SUV's were a cx 5 with max range was legit 300 miles, the benz was ok at 375 but was premium, the mdx was also around 375 max, and the wife's JLU 4XE is the most laughable at a 310 max miles. if including full tank and charge (280-290 gas only and the light actually comes on with like 50 miles of range left so it feels extra short).

The best highway car I actually had for range was my 2006 cayman s, could cruise at 80 and still get nearly 26 mpg with a 17 gallon tank.
2017 F150 and 2019 Rams both show 23 gal tanks available. I don’t think I’ve ever owned a full size with a tank that small. Makes sense those aren’t getting 500 miles on a tank.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
My previous VW got 38 highway easily, so it could go 420 miles on a tank before the light came on. It was rated 25 city, 33 highway, but in real world, it easily got 25 city 38 highway, and if I really tried, I could get 42 highway, but usually I didn't try that hard. It ran on premium only though, as it was stage 2 tuned. Stock, it still got 25 city, 34 highway. A lot of new cars are so slippery aerodynamically that the gas mileage is surprising.

Sponsored

onewhippedpuppy

Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Aerospace
If you need a 5-600 mile range to drive cross country then I guess no one can possibly tow with anything but a semi cross country and none of my trucks would make it. Seriously no one needs to drive 7+ hours non stop. Usually you drive 3-4 hours which is 280 to 320 miles. If youre towing you may be well under 250 miles even, but it's not a big deal because you fill up in 10 minutes. If an electric car can drive for 3-4 hours and fill up in 10-15 minutes then it would make the drive exactly like an ICE today
What EV will allow you to drive 300+ miles until the battery is dead and then fully recharge in 15 minutes? Bonus points, what EV will allow you to drive to BFE and do the same?

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
What EV will allow you to drive 300+ miles until the battery is dead and then fully recharge in 15 minutes? Bonus points, what EV will allow you to drive to BFE and do the same?
Tesla is pretty close. Infrastructure is still lacking, didn't say today's BEVs are ready at all, just that this notion you need 500 mile range and the ability to fill up as fast as a gas car isnt a realistic requirement for BEVs being practical.

Last edited:

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
I dont get it.. who needs extra horsepower to the tune of 8 mpg? Makes no sense to me other than burning rubber and $$
If you have to ask, you just wont get it.

For some of us, it's about the driving experience, not about the $$$.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 4xe has 350 hp and 460 ft-lbs of torque and would get better fuel economy than our 3.6.