Sponsored

So what about those factory V8 Gladiator rumors?

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
for all
of us it is about the jeep driving experience... cept for those who need bigger and more power . Overcompensating... lol
Your opinion....... I don't think its stupid, it's just not how I see it.

If I just wanted an appliance to get me around, I might choose a scooter or a Smart car which would be fine for my super short commute. Neither of these would make me smile when I operated them, so why bother.

I have nothing to prove.........I probably have the "smallest" of anyone, but it makes me happy and that what counts right?

onewhippedpuppy

Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Aerospace
Tesla is pretty close. Infrastructure is still lacking, didn't say today's BEVs are ready at all, just that this notion you need 500 mile range and the ability to fill up as fast as a gas car isnt a realistic requirement for BEVs being practical.
Until EVs can replace ICE without compromise they will not be adopted by much of the USA. Despite the government doing everything possible to demonize ICE and piss away our tax dollars on EV incentives, they are still a niche market. From what I could find online on Tesla forums, most people are reporting 30-40 minutes to get about 200 miles of charge. Sounds like fully recharging from empty is more like an hour plus. I live in Wichita, KS which is plenty big and has public EV chargers including Superchargers. But I couldn’t drive a Tesla to my in-laws’ house in central KS without plugging it in for hours overnight at their place, because there’s not a single Supercharger anywhere in between. For me to drive it to Lake of the Ozarks in MO where I keep my boat would require almost a full recharge at the one gas station that has Superchargers, close to 200 miles away.

Sponsored

onewhippedpuppy

Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Aerospace
Also, lol at people pretending that a standard JT is a practical purchase and going with a 392 is somehow compensating. We drive trucks that are slow, handle poorly, get terrible gas mileage, can’t haul much, can’t tow much, are expensive, and are designed for a purpose that probably 95%+ don’t actually utilize.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
We drive trucks that are slow, handle poorly, get terrible gas mileage,
We do? You do.......... mine isn't slow, handles GREAT, and the mpg isn't bad at all for a truck. Beats the shit out of my Silverado, especially when towing. It got under 12, my JT tows and got 13.9 last time I towed.
My JT handles great and I drive it like I'd drive any of my cars. Smooth as silk up to 90-95 mph, steady and stable.
You should have seen me when my wife wanted me to out-run the derecho and she kept hollering "faster faster it's gaining on us" and "go around them, it's coming!" and I was like who is this woman as I was zipping around everything in sight heading down I35 at 80+
Mine does not handle poorly, and rides great.
It also tows what I want it to tow and does it well.
You bought a version not intended to get great mpg or go fast.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Your opinion....... I don't think its stupid, it's just not how I see it.

If I just wanted an appliance to get me around, I might choose a scooter or a Smart car which would be fine for my super short commute. Neither of these would make me smile when I operated them, so why bother.

I have nothing to prove.........I probably have the "smallest" of anyone, but it makes me happy and that what counts right?
It's not the sized of it. It's how you use it. :like:

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
then get a 4xe chief not a 392
You said you didn't get the 392 and who needs 8 mpg.

I agree with you. My Jeep is my daily driver. Sure power is great. But I wouldn't buy a 10 mpg beast.

My point is just that you can get similar performance and decent fuel efficiency with newer tech.

Though even if it were offered in the Gladiator I wouldn't get a 4xe at this point. JLWanglerforum is full of 4xe horror stories that include dealers that don't know how to trouble shoot them, a manufacturer than can't provide repair parts and service reps that are no use.

Unfortunately the 4xe is a version 1.0 product from Fiat. I'll give it a few years. A plug in hybrid CAN be as reliable as any other powertrain, as Toyota has proven. But Toyota's been doing hybrids for 25 years compared to FCA's 2 years.

Stratus109

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL , WJ
Occupation
Welder
Sure there is a finite supply, but we are talking at least 3 or 4 generations from now. There are still vast reserves of oil. The only reason were in high fuel prices now is because the current president forced it upon us. Two years ago we were completely oil independent and we can easily be again. Prices go up when you cancel contracts for oil pipelines and drilling areas of known oil reserves.

Electric vehicles will be the future but it's going to have to overcome three main issues before it becomes common place:
1. Range (You need at least 500 miles)
2. Infrastructure and charging need to be convenient and quick
3. Price, it needs to be at least close to oil based fuel over the lifespan of the vehicle, which means if that battery pack has to be replaced 2 or 3 times in the lifespan of the car that cost is part of the total fuel cost for that vehicle.
Trouble is, none of what you are saying will take place.
You forgot cant be doninated by Chinese batterys and also recycling of Battery. You just know those lithium packs will be At the bottom of the ocean.

Sponsored

LOGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ Rubicon
We do? You do.......... mine isn't slow, handles GREAT...
Your 3.6 IS slow and the JT DOES handle like shit. That's not an opinion, that's just fact. If you think otherwise then either you are biased or have a very low standard.
It's a jeep. It's not going to be fast and it's not going to take corners. The 3.6 is barely adequate enough for the weight/box shape. If it wasn't for the 3.0, I would have never bought one.

onewhippedpuppy

Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Aerospace
We do? You do.......... mine isn't slow, handles GREAT, and the mpg isn't bad at all for a truck. Beats the shit out of my Silverado, especially when towing. It got under 12, my JT tows and got 13.9 last time I towed.
My JT handles great and I drive it like I'd drive any of my cars. Smooth as silk up to 90-95 mph, steady and stable.
You should have seen me when my wife wanted me to out-run the derecho and she kept hollering "faster faster it's gaining on us" and "go around them, it's coming!" and I was like who is this woman as I was zipping around everything in sight heading down I35 at 80+
Mine does not handle poorly, and rides great.
It also tows what I want it to tow and does it well.
You bought a version not intended to get great mpg or go fast.
You do realize that we have the same truck, right?:) Actually I have what most agree is the best handling and riding JT model.

Listen, I love my JT and plan on keeping it a LONG time. I also love Jeeps in general, but they certainly have their flaws. Your love of being able to do “Jeep stuff” has to overcome the flaws. For me it does, for many it doesn’t. Also, you may be the first person I’ve seen refer to their Gladiator as fast. Come to KS and I’ll give you a ride in my wife’s AMG, which isn’t even fast by modern standards.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Gladiator is much like the Wrangler. Measure it against anything other than off road capability, it falls short compared to other vehicles. Still way better than anything built 20+ years ago but the line has also moved forward for every other vehicle also.

If someone gets stuck on one thing about our Gladiator not being class leading, they really should just move on to another platform and go bitch there on whatever that platform does not do well either.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
I saw a video yesterday that said Ram will not be putting the 2.0L (4xe) in the Ram 1/2 ton. It will be getting a hybrid version of the 3.0L TT. I would think that’s about the best we can hope for the Gladiator-

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Why do these threads always end up talking about EV's and such? If I wanted an EV, I would have bought one and be on a different forum.
Sponsored