First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Sales Mgmt
Sold my 2022 Tacoma Trd Offroad and bought a 2023 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow package.

I put a 1.5" front Teraflex puck lift leaving the stock springs on all four corners, 33" Wildpeak on Mojave wheels, Tonneau Cover
Rubicon Rock rails and a Redarc Trailer brake controller.

We will be using this to tow a Grand Design 17Mke, which was a little too much weight for the Tacoma. With the Max Tow Pkg and increased payload I should be just about right. I know a 1/2 ton would have been better, but my wife and I do quite a bit of off-roading and I did not want a full size truck.

Jeep Gladiator Sold my Tacoma, Bought a Gladiator 20240323_151240
Jeep Gladiator Sold my Tacoma, Bought a Gladiator 20240111_122143
Jeep Gladiator Sold my Tacoma, Bought a Gladiator 20240324_121340
Jeep Gladiator Sold my Tacoma, Bought a Gladiator 20240325_131152
Sponsored

PuddleJumper

First Name
Cortlund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' JTM, 22' JTR, 22' F56S,
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Lockheed Martin ASW Test Technician
Vehicle Showcase
welcome man! looks great! I came from a Tundra.

PuddleJumper

First Name
Cortlund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you. I'm really liking it so far. It shifts and stops so much better than the Tacoma.
Dude I know! Going from these archaic 5 and 6 speed Aisins to the ZF8s. Night and Day. All the gears and exactly what you need when you need it. instead of that 3-4 gear hunt every time its on a grade. Towing with my Gladiators is such a better experience despite the loss of capacity and weight. plus i do not miss the 8 mpg that Toyota V8 got. And I'll never not appreciate getting a full float axle factory. Bearings last so much longer, and the axles can take more abuse. Oh and no more bent tie rods and busted CVs.

edit: I've found conflicting data. One Dana Doc says widetrack axles are full float but the spare parts list states Semi. Since a Dana 60 is stated as Semi I'll assume D44 is as well. Except for the 24' Willys. (which makes no damn sense, why does a Non rubi wrangler need a full float?)

Last edited:
OP
OP
MTB58

MTB58

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Sales Mgmt
Dude I know! Going from these archaic 5 and 6 speed Aisins to the ZF8s. Night and Day. All the gears and exactly what you need when you need it. instead of that 3-4 gear hunt every time its on a grade. Towing with my Gladiators is such a better experience despite the loss of capacity and weight. plus i do not miss the 8 mpg that Toyota V8 got. And I'll never not appreciate getting a full float axle factory. Bearings last so much longer, and the axles can take more abuse. Oh and no more bent tie rods and busted CVs.
With the Max Tow I have 7,650 towing capacity which we both know will never happen because of payload limits, but I have 1,500 payload also. The Taco had about 1100 payload and 6500 towing.
Gladiator is definitely better equipped to tow, at least with the Max tow package.

Sponsored

ttn333

First Name
Tuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Gladiators do not get the full float axle that's on 2024 wrangler.

TheDerb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon
I hate to bring bad news, but you don't have full float axles from the factory....

Sponsored

PuddleJumper

First Name
Cortlund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Gladiators do not get the full float axle that's on 2024 wrangler.
Dana M220 Widetrac is a full float axle. Checked Dana nvmnd, i guess they are semifloat. I read elsewhere they were full float but can't find. But If dana says semi. then thats it.

Last edited:

PuddleJumper

First Name
Cortlund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I hate to bring bad news, but you don't have full float axles from the factory....
Yes they do. Dana M220 Widetrack is a full float axle. Checked Dana nvmnd, i guess they are semifloat. I read elsewhere they were full float but can't find. But If dana says semi. then thats it.

ttn333

First Name
Tuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Dana M220 Widetrac is a full float axle. Checked Dana nvmnd, i guess they are semifloat. I read elsewhere they were full float but can't find. But If dana says semi. then thats it.
"And note that Gladiator does not get the Wrangler's full-floating Dana 44 axle, mainly because its five-link coil-sprung rear axle already surpassed Wrangler's towing capacity without it." They're talking about the most current 2024 in this article. https://www.motortrend.com/news/2024-jeep-gladiator-first-look-review/
Sponsored