Sponsored

Spacer Lift – Questions – Geometry – Australian Spec

Slipshodman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Gladiator
Hi all,

So, I am one of these people that probably overthinks everything. Been off roading a little lately and find that even with picking a good line on some obstacles the “belly of the beast” bottoms out onto the skid plates (nothing dramatic, but I am not a fan) . So I want to get the belly of the JTR (stock) off the ground some more to just give me a little more off road capability.

Back to my overthinking, I know this has been discussed many times, but need a little help from people more experienced than me, over here most mechanics have never worked on JT’s so with the couple of discussions I have had I have mixed outcomes, they will do whatever I want, but not sure of the confidence in the right approach.

In Australia (in my state anyway) I have limitations on lift and larger tyres. Is what it is, there are reasons for it but it’s a bit of a downer.

Limitations are 75mm total lift (3inch) but Max 50mm (2inch) from either larger tyre or suspension lift, tyres them selves have a 7% greater limitation as well.

So in reality as the JTR’s over here come out with 32’s , I can go to a 34 (currently on 33’s), that's cool , as I wear out what I have I am sure a 285/75/17 should fit without issue and stay legal for both the 50mm greater and the 7% greater restrictions – I must say though the JTR’s in Aus do not get the high fenders like USA, we have a stock height front fenders by the looks.

That will leave me an opportunity to suspension lift 50mm (2inch). As I have 3 years of dealer warranty still to go, I am thinking spacer lift, maybe 1 to 1.5inch across front and rear (I don’t mind the rake, I have a couple of questions to come on this) as I can go back easily to stock if needed.

From what I have read I do not need LCA’s for 1 or 1.5inch lift – do I need bump stops ? front and rear ?

Just to note at this point, front and rear spacers the same height as my assumption is if I only lift the front 1.5inch and the back the 0.75 to level , the break over angle will barely change… I think

After warranty depending on price it may be another story but a 2 inch lift install at minimum over here for the JT would set me back at least $5K Aus (so 3,500 US), I don’t have that coin at the moment

So my first dilemma, due to my limitations is this even worth messing with geometry literally just for a little more height for the breakover as tyre size should be fine going to 34’s as is

I am not a mathematician and this is purely about spacer lifts

How much additional space between ground and belly am I actually going to get for every inch of lift, Is it as simple as a spacer lift will lift to that measurement (forgetting spring rate etc for the moment) ?

Would that significantly change the break over angle at all ( Couldn't find a JT pic lol) ?
Jeep Gladiator Spacer Lift – Questions – Geometry – Australian Spec 1699050203442

Or is 1 to 1.5 inch semi futile just for the purpose of lifting the belly (bettering the break over angle) as I can never go bigger than a 34inch tyre anyway
I am not a big off roader, so can't spend a fortune (would if I could lol) and spacer lift seems the obvious budget option

I know that was a lot. So I will at least share a pic of her on the trail

Jeep Gladiator Spacer Lift – Questions – Geometry – Australian Spec 1699050215114

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers
Sponsored

Tuna

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Willys diesel, 2016 JKU
Just to note at this point, front and rear spacers the same height as my assumption is if I only lift the front 1.5inch and the back the 0.75 to level , the break over angle will barely change… I think
You answered your own question. Spacer lift doesn't give you much clearance as expected. I had a JTR w/ spacer lift previously and I didn't feel much different than stock height. Good thing is you don't need to correct suspension geometry but it doesn't yield much in lift.
When I bought my current JTWD, I skipped the spacers and went 2.5" lift w/ 35in tires. Even with that, the break over angle is still a concern depending on the obstacle.
All depends on how and where you wheel it. In my opinion, a little belly rub doesn't hurt, they're built for it.

OP
OP
Slipshodman

Slipshodman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Gladiator
You answered your own question. Spacer lift doesn't give you much clearance as expected. I had a JTR w/ spacer lift previously and I didn't feel much different than stock height. Good thing is you don't need to correct suspension geometry but it doesn't yield much in lift.
When I bought my current JTWD, I skipped the spacers and went 2.5" lift w/ 35in tires. Even with that, the break over angle is still a concern depending on the obstacle.
All depends on how and where you wheel it. In my opinion, a little belly rub doesn't hurt, they're built for it.
Thanks for your thoughts

Gee

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Company Director
I’m in NZ. Similar restrictions here. I’m running a JT Rubicon. I added 1.5” inch spacers at the front to level it up, and am running 35’s with no other suspension changes. No issues with tyres rubbing. It still belly’s out but as most of my driving is sand and soft stuff rather than rock I’m not too worried. Just stay aware.

OP
OP
Slipshodman

Slipshodman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Gladiator
I’m in NZ. Similar restrictions here. I’m running a JT Rubicon. I added 1.5” inch spacers at the front to level it up, and am running 35’s with no other suspension changes. No issues with tyres rubbing. It still belly’s out but as most of my driving is sand and soft stuff rather than rock I’m not too worried. Just stay aware.

Thanks Gee

Did you see any movement in your front axel to one side, some other threads on the subject talk about it but all from US spec cars
I would assume as our restrictions in NZ and Aus are really similar that the spec that came out in NZ is probably the same as here. if not pretty dam close

Could you add a pic if you get a chance

Lastly, what spacer kit did you use and did you add bump stops ?
(if you can get them in NZ I can probably get them here also and I want to avoid Amazon knock offs if I can )

Cheers

Gee

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Company Director
Hiya. No movement noticed. I can’t remember the brand sorry. I think I got them through Quadratec? Didn’t touch the bump stops.
Jeep Gladiator Spacer Lift – Questions – Geometry – Australian Spec IMG_2519
Sponsored