Sponsored

Standard front Rubicon bumper or Steel ?

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
So no one's mentioned the weight yet, how much do the aftermarket bumpers weigh compared to stock, compared to mopar steel? I'd like a steel bumper and a winch but am hesitant to add that much weight to the front end.

TJDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Motorized toy collector
I wanted the steel when I first started looking. I liked the look, option to turn it into a stubby, and winch capable. When I found out later, that I would have to purchase a winch plate, I was was no longer set on finding a Rubicon with a steel bumper. I found one I wanted with a plastic bumper.
I also went with the RR Arcus. Light, looks close to stock, and winch ready. Led fogs swapped right over, and the stock steel skid bolted right up.
I also needed a bumper that would work with my Maximus-3 flat towing loops, and the Arcus worked with minimum trimming of the outer shell. I added longer grade 8 mounting bolts.

Jeep Gladiator Standard front Rubicon bumper or Steel ? jtslab1

OP
OP
bentrod

bentrod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Diesel
I've been wieghing this decision on my JTR build, ended up going with the RR Arcus, looks close to OEM and will save me about $700 when all said and done.
That IS nice! I just wish it was full length.

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
I bought mine off the lot and it had a steal bumper. It’s not bad looking but not my favorite. But since I have it, I’ll keep it. I run it stubby style. I think it looks best that way.

3CB4FDF0-CC33-4AC3-B3F1-DE2C776D21B3.jpeg

Sponsored

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
I wanted the steel when I first started looking. I liked the look, option to turn it into a stubby, and winch capable. When I found out later, that I would have to purchase a winch plate, I was was no longer set on finding a Rubicon with a steel bumper. I found one I wanted with a plastic bumper.
I also went with the RR Arcus. Light, looks close to stock, and winch ready. Led fogs swapped right over, and the stock steel skid bolted right up.
I also needed a bumper that would work with my Maximus-3 flat towing loops, and the Arcus worked with minimum trimming of the outer shell. I added longer grade 8 mounting bolts.

Jeep Gladiator Standard front Rubicon bumper or Steel ? 3CB4FDF0-CC33-4AC3-B3F1-DE2C776D21B3
I love that bumper. Looks awesome.

ALVagabond

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR "Praetorian"
So no one's mentioned the weight yet, how much do the aftermarket bumpers weigh compared to stock, compared to mopar steel? I'd like a steel bumper and a winch but am hesitant to add that much weight to the front end.
Shipping weight on the MOPAR steel bumper is listed as 78lbs. The shipping weight on my stubby was 107lbs. The full width version of mine is 115lbs shipped.

There was <1/4" change in the front end compression when I switched to aftermarket, but I also went from stock plastic bumper to steel. A winch will add about 80-90lbs more to the front end.

TJDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Motorized toy collector
Rugged Ridge Arcus weighs 74 pounds including winch plate. Mopar steel weighs a little more without the winch plate that you must buy separately.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
If you are buying a warn winch, I vote for the steel Jeep Rubicon bumper. I like the cool look of the bolts, the removable end caps, and how snug and cool fit you can get with a warn winch and Maximus-3 filler plates, and how low the winch sits in the bumper, not blocking the radiator, and the round edges of the bumper. The winch is very protected. I also like how you can pick your own bull bar for it, and easily mount lights on the bumpers or bull bars. It is also nice to have the end caps when you are on the road. Maximus-3 also has a nice license plate holder and dune flag holder for it.

zqXTTP.jpg

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Shipping weight on the MOPAR steel bumper is listed as 78lbs. The shipping weight on my stubby was 107lbs. The full width version of mine is 115lbs shipped.

There was <1/4" change in the front end compression when I switched to aftermarket, but I also went from stock plastic bumper to steel. A winch will add about 80-90lbs more to the front end.
Nice, thanks to TJ Dave as well. Not sure how much the stock plastic weighs, but 78 pds doesn't sound too bad.
Sponsored