Sponsored

Steering Stabilizer

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
The through shaft has equal pressure in either direction, the shaft goes through the body of the shock and out the top
Sponsored

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
I have the fox steering stabilizer. Truck drives as straight as an arrow. I did ā€™primeā€™ It 5 times, per the instructions.
Same here. No pull, but did prime it. Itā€™s not the shaft one, itā€™s the cheaper one. After my new steering gear and with that stabilizer, I can take my hands of the wheel and it will for a long time and then the road crown slowly makes it drift to the crown side.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
When you guys say changing the stabilizer improves drivability, how exactly? What is it that changes?

Granted, I've only ever run 35s on my Jeeps but they drive pretty darned good with stock stabilizers and I don't even think about it. I could probably remove it altogether and never notice it's gone. The only thing it does is reduce jarring when driving off-road.
I'll post it again - it's a mirage at worst, a bandaid at best. It fixes nothing. It can't remove play - play in linkage is there, period. It may resist sharp movements better because it's a "shock absorber" but if there's play, there's play, if there's pull, there's pull. They can't fix pull because they aren't an active part. They are a shock. If it's a sort like a gas-charged shock it could CAUSE a pull, but if it's equal both directions, it can't fix a pull, just can't. There's no engineering or science behind it other than people saying "I said it fixed it so it did".

Again - this is from an EXPERT - not an arm-chair internet forum expert on suspension and steering ->
A steering damper is not a fix, it's a band-aid used to mask issues with either worn components or poor design. Dampers did not start appearing on stock vehicles until the late 70s, mostly associated with the trend to larger (wider thus heavier) tires on older designs.
On a properly designed and well maintained system, a damper's purpose is to mitigate the effects of bump steer and the sudden encounter of unexpected objects, such as hitting a rock in a trail at 50 miles per hour. On an improperly designed and/or poorly maintained system, a damper is used as a crutch to mask issues with suspension and tire errors.

And there you have it.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
I'll post it again - it's a mirage at worst, a bandaid at best. It fixes nothing. It can't remove play - play in linkage is there, period. It may resist sharp movements better because it's a "shock absorber" but if there's play, there's play, if there's pull, there's pull. They can't fix pull because they aren't an active part. They are a shock. If it's a sort like a gas-charged shock it could CAUSE a pull, but if it's equal both directions, it can't fix a pull, just can't. There's no engineering or science behind it other than people saying "I said it fixed it so it did".

Again - this is from an EXPERT - not an arm-chair internet forum expert on suspension and steering ->
A steering damper is not a fix, it's a band-aid used to mask issues with either worn components or poor design. Dampers did not start appearing on stock vehicles until the late 70s, mostly associated with the trend to larger (wider thus heavier) tires on older designs.
On a properly designed and well maintained system, a damper's purpose is to mitigate the effects of bump steer and the sudden encounter of unexpected objects, such as hitting a rock in a trail at 50 miles per hour. On an improperly designed and/or poorly maintained system, a damper is used as a crutch to mask issues with suspension and tire errors.

And there you have it.
It doesnā€™t remove play, but mine gave me way better steering feel. I like the stiffer steering. I donā€™t like over boosted steering. My Gladiator doesnā€™t get bump stop, but it helped my JKU Rubicon. It all but eliminated it.

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT, 2020 Ram 2500, 2013 JKU
Occupation
Facilities Maintenance

And there you have it.
Amen!
people couldnā€™t believe I ran a TJ with 6ā€ lift and 37ā€™s with no steering stabilizer. Got asked all the time how bad it was to drive and were surprised when they would follow me on the highways just waiting for me to lose control - no issues if set up correctly....
Sponsored