fun2drum

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
This proves what I've been saying from the start. These trucks come out of the box ready to tackle more than I'm ever going to put mine through.

This reminds me of my sister and brother in law who tow their Sport Wrangler behind their RV. They stopped for a rock crawling thing he wanted to do somewhere in the West, and some of the guys hanging around were saying they needed all these mods before doing it. Their guide said not to listen to them - it would be fine. The video they showed me was almost too scary to watch but their little Jeep made it through just fine.
I think my sister, in hindsight, would have never gone along with it though if she'd known what they were in for.

Padre

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Pastor
I thought only us Californians wore flip flops off roading.
I had a couple of thoughts like that as well. Tires, I know are expensive but better shoes would have helped.
Personally, I have turned around before in trails like that, not because I couldn't get in but I was worried about us getting out. I would not have gone down there in a stock rig like that.
I am not sure I would do that in my stock Mojave. But I would do it in his stock Gladiator. I would do it anyone else's stock vehicle.
He did have a nice canopy though.

OP
OP
PDiddy

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
I had a couple of thoughts like that as well. Tires, I know are expensive but better shoes would have helped.
Personally, I have turned around before in trails like that, not because I couldn't get in but I was worried about us getting out. I would not have gone down there in a stock rig like that.
I am not sure I would do that in my stock Mojave. But I would do it in his stock Gladiator. I would do it anyone else's stock vehicle.
He did have a nice canopy though.
Yeah, you can see in his video how stressed he was out getting out. Said they had trouble enjoying camping because they were so stressed. He just missing a little ground clearance and grip to make it easier.

Sponsored

DiscoSlug

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator; '74 PowerWagon; '86 Taco C-frame
Occupation
Drugs
I can second the stressed out part. I took my completely stock max tow to hollerwood off road part in ky with a group organized by the Lexington jeep dealer.

Scraped so bad on so much I was white knuckles and puckered the whole time. Got it home to wash out the mud and rocks I picked up and after doing a full assessment there was zero unexpected damage.

Only damage was light scrapes on the front diff and cross bars spanning across the frame rails and the muffler that hangs down. In my opinion, those things are expected to get scraped up even after doing mods so. It has pretty adequate protection straight from the factory. You really don't NEED all those mods. I'm heading back in November with 35s and nothing else to see how different it is.

DiscoSlug

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator; '74 PowerWagon; '86 Taco C-frame
Occupation
Drugs
Oh... Also I was wearing chacos, not flip flops!

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Yes, very capable in stock form.

His trip would have been a little easier if he had disconnected the front sway bar. Just take the end links all the way off and zip tie the sway bar up out of the way.

The White Rabbit

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Self Employed
Wow! Really impressed by the fully stock jtmt working through all that. The fella was slow and methodical which was what really made the difference imo.

still very impressed with the duelers on those rocks!
Agreed! Driver had good instinct and instruction. Prettco to see that stock performance!

Sponsored

OP
OP
PDiddy

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
Yes, very capable in stock form.

His trip would have been a little easier if he had disconnected the front sway bar. Just take the end links all the way off and zip tie the sway bar up out of the way.
He did disconnect it on his way out. Second Video.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
He did disconnect it on his way out. Second Video.
I didn't get that deep into the second one.

Some don't realize they can disconnect them manually. 15 minutes in the parking area before you start and less problems on the trail.

Phred

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Green Gladiator Rubicon
That scraping at the 5 minute mark makes my city boy balls shrink and disappear. How, and why, but also what... the hell.. that sounded awful.
Slider doing what sliders do…perfectly normal and why they’re there.

Phred

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Green Gladiator Rubicon
Meh

They seemed capable enough to get the job done, despite struggling
Most clips were downhill, going back up on some of those would have been almost impossible with those tires.

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
35s are a game changer. You will be very pleased.

I can second the stressed out part. I took my completely stock max tow to hollerwood off road part in ky with a group organized by the Lexington jeep dealer.

Scraped so bad on so much I was white knuckles and puckered the whole time. Got it home to wash out the mud and rocks I picked up and after doing a full assessment there was zero unexpected damage.

Only damage was light scrapes on the front diff and cross bars spanning across the frame rails and the muffler that hangs down. In my opinion, those things are expected to get scraped up even after doing mods so. It has pretty adequate protection straight from the factory. You really don't NEED all those mods. I'm heading back in November with 35s and nothing else to see how different it is.
Sponsored