Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Stock is what the factory installed. In judged events even dealer installed or factory sanctioned accessories aren't considered stock.
Sponsored

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
You've seen the videos, the ads, the promotions, the articles by the auto rags - these are extremely capable stock, right out of the factory.
Fact is that a lot of mods are done for looks. Sure some of the serious folks that climb a 170% grade or rocks nearly straight up - that's different.....
You nailed it "oh, look at those big tires" - is that why you'd want them? To look at, or are they needed?
I changed my tires on my Sport S to Rubi Take offs. Simply couldn't stand the way it looked with the stock tires. Everyone has said the same thing the truck looks totally different with the Rubi Take offs and Rims. Other than that is pretty much stock. I still think the Sport S should have had the Rubi Rims and tires and give the Rubicon's the 35's at the start

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I changed my tires on my Sport S to Rubi Take offs. Simply couldn't stand the way it looked with the stock tires. Everyone has said the same thing the truck looks totally different with the Rubi Take offs and Rims. Other than that is pretty much stock. I still think the Sport S should have had the Rubi Rims and tires and give the Rubicon's the 35's at the start
That would work, and would be easy enough for Jeep to do............

fun2drum

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I like to keep things relatively simple, and I'm getting to be more of a minimalist as I age. My new stock Gladiator Sport S with towing will be just fine for any task I can foresee giving it. It's great on the highway, and it'll do great on NC mountain snow, as well as NC deep sand beaches. I can comfortably carry people and things anywhere I plan to go. I'm gonna get the good out of my stock tires until they need to be replaced. Then I MAY go to to 33's, or may not. Stock wheels are just fine - I like them and think they look great when they're in motion.

Full disclosure: My picture shows a fishing rod holder which I do have, but it hangs off the stock bumper. I'll only use it for fishing trips and take it off when not needed. Also, I did put an EZ Roll bed cover on, and I have a Sunrider for hard tops ordered, but I don't really consider those mods. It spontaneously rains a lot where I live, so I think those are just necessary.

OldFloridaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I think I somewhat belong in this thread. Just got a Sport S max tow last week, and my only big plans are:

1. Install Rubi rock rail take-offs (this is primarily for looks - I hate the view of the exposed pinch seam at the bottom of Sports, but also to help protect in the mild trail runs I'm planning). DONE

2. Upgrade the headlights/fogs with LED bulbs - I live out in the country, and we have abundant wildlife I'd really rather not run over - deer, boar, alligators, turtles, panthers, cranes, etc. This will be done today.

3. Rubi take-off wheels/tires - I'd like slightly bigger tires, and I really don't like the stock rims.

4. Replace front and rear bumpers - this is more for protection from the wildlife mentioned above, and the even more dangerous Florida drivers. I had an ACE Engineering tire carrier on my JK, and when a woman rear ended me doing about 10 mph, it didn't even put a scratch on my bumper. Tore the hades out of her bumper/grill.

Primary purpose for my JT is hauling stuff while I try to keep up with the 50 tree orchard we have on our new property. And I just couldn't pass up getting into another Jeep for the sunset trips to the beach. But I have to admit - I've been watching way too many of the overlanding videos on Youtube, and I question how long I'll belong here...

Sponsored

OP
OP
EugeneTheJeep

EugeneTheJeep

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Factory setup = pure and simple life
Accessories like tents, mounts, armor, and covers = well equipped
Takeoffs from other trim levels = fully caffeinated
35s = gateway drug
37s, lifts, wheels = performance enhancers
Track bars, control arms, , etc = full blown addiction

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I like to keep things relatively simple, and I'm getting to be more of a minimalist as I age. My new stock Gladiator Sport S with towing will be just fine for any task I can foresee giving it. It's great on the highway, and it'll do great on NC mountain snow, as well as NC deep sand beaches. I can comfortably carry people and things anywhere I plan to go. I'm gonna get the good out of my stock tires until they need to be replaced. Then I MAY go to to 33's, or may not. Stock wheels are just fine - I like them and think they look great when they're in motion.

Full disclosure: My picture shows a fishing rod holder which I do have, but it hangs off the stock bumper. I'll only use it for fishing trips and take it off when not needed. Also, I did put an EZ Roll bed cover on, and I have a Sunrider for hard tops ordered, but I don't really consider those mods. It spontaneously rains a lot where I live, so I think those are just necessary.
More accessories than anything. You aren't REPLACING parts the factory installed or put on.
Yes, a stock JT is extremely capable. Most changes are made because the owner wants it to LOOK different or be personalized, perhaps more "manly" with bigger feet, in some cases, more "gawdy" wheels, the "Transformers" look in some rare cases.
These are beautiful stock, as built, and very capable.
I also happen to like the looks of the stock wheels. I got Rubicon take-off wheels and tires because here in Iowa, you need a bit more bite in winter - snow, ice, but that's not really different than putting snow tires on your car or full-size pickup. I went back to stock (I like the Overland wheels) as hey, I own those tires and they are fine in the summer - quiet, etc. I'll flip back to the AT/3s for winter again.

Fishing rod holder - interesting...........

MVP89

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
I just left the stock jeep club yesterday when I added XD Grenade wheels and Nitto tires.....but it had to be done the Overland stock highway tire was not attractive.....I actually like the stock rims so I am keeping them and the H/T tires for winter use. Full non-stock disclosure I also added the Sunrider top too...IMO the best add on for a stock Jeep with a hardtop. Jeep should offer the Sunrider as an option to buy with a Hardtop instead of the Hardtop/soft top package.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep should offer the Sunrider as an option to buy with a Hardtop instead of the Hardtop/soft top package.
There's a good idea for suggestions or things Jeep could do better - that belongs in some of the other threads, too. I might have bit on that one, but the combo hard-top/soft-top, naw, that wasn't a player for me.

The overland stock tires may not be Jeep-pretty but they ARE truck tires and the Overland is more aimed at highway, daily-driver types (me??)
I do prefer the looks of the Rubicon take-off wheels and tires I bought for winter use, but then for the highway, the stock tires are fine.
LOL - you support my contention that most tire swaps are done for appearance, not "need".
Not knocking you for it, though!!!
I like the "looks" of the AT/3 tires when they are on mine, too. Gotta be honest, full disclosure.

PsyRN

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 StingGray JTR, 2016 Bonneville T120 Black
35s = gateway drug
Since the JTR was designed to handle 35s without any extra work needing to be done, I don't really see it as "mod" per se. I'll probably throw a set on when I wear down the OEM tires. And personally, anything above 35's looks funny to me. The proportions are all off. 37s and 40s look like pontoons, and more like bad ass, then badass. imo.

I see all the rest as marginal gains in performance/cost. I'd rather spend my money on being better equipped and gas, then things I'ld probably never need and use like a lift, etc. If you look closely on the test trucks running the Rubicon, they were running what is basically a stock JTR on 33s. That's good enough for me.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I'm in the semi stock club.... My D.D. and good MPG :like: No lift or tire change and plan on staying with stock tires until I need to replace them. Lift kit not planning on maybe front spacers to level up later after I wear out tires. I can look around and hop in my LJ if I need to drive Jeep with small lift. If I need to get back on going way out I'll get off a## and swap out XJ mods to the one I bought just for that. D### I do need to get back on that. :headbang: especially after watching Winder towing vids remind me of the fun I had in my 90 XJ. Just point it and go except in mud. :headbang::headbang::giggle: I guess I'll skip some stuff on 91 XJ.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
35s = gateway drug
We have some really long intense discussion on what's "stock" for the AMO shows and judging.

I know that's talking shows, judging, etc. but still - it was decided for example that even though AMC offered an Edelbrock intake (the R4B) with an AMC part number and dealers installed them and they were listed in the Group 19 performance section of the parts book - they are not stock. The factory never installed them.
Anything the factory didn't install was considered non-stock. Free-flow exhaust manifolds from a 71 on a 70? Nope, that's non-stock. The factory never did that.

Restored means setting it back to how it came from the factory - so restored cannot include BC/CC paint, wheel changes, electronic ignition, carb swaps, and for some years, radial tires.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Jeep should offer the Sunrider as an option to buy with a Hardtop instead of the Hardtop/soft top package.
They offer a sunbonnet top mesh or solid from the factory.
Sponsored