www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
To add more to my original thread post:
I uninstalled my Mojave’s Fox 2.5 shocks and took some measurements based on applied pressure on my bench and did some math. Hopefully these are helpful!

Bypass Zones
There are two compression ports and one rebound (extension) port. This is a common setup so that the travel towards bottoming out is dampened in two progressive stages.
  • Zone 3: 1 7/8” from full compression
    • Zone 3 is very firm to prevent bottoming out
  • Zone 2: 2 7/8” from full compression (1” from Zone 3)
    • Zone 2 is slightly more firm than the ride zone to slow the compression before hitting Zone 3
  • Zone 1: 1/4” from full extension (4 3/4” from Zone 2)
    • Zone 1 is to prevent the shock from slamming into full extension
  • Ride Zone: this zone is implicit based on Zones 1 and 2 above and lives between 2 7/8” and 7 5/8” of extension - 4 3/4” travel.
Zone Travel
I measured that my Mojave (YMMV) sits level on the ground at 3 1/2” from full extension, or 4 3/8” from full compression. With that in mind, in my opinion these are the most practically useful measurements to determine proper use of the bypass zones with lifts/levels:
  • 2 1/2” uptravel from ride height to Zone 3
  • 1 1/2” uptravel from ride height to Zone 2
  • 3 1/4” downtravel from ride height to Zone 1
Sometimes springs sag over time and accessories (steel bumper, winch, a bunch of ducks) can cause them to ride lower, effectively shortening the ride height length of the shock.

My OG post is describing the bypass zones of the shock. Jeep engineered (and shipped from factory) the optimal ride height of the shock to be 3.5" of downtravel (aka extension) and 4 3/8" of uptravel (aka compression). The front shock length (aka ride height) for these two measurements to be true is 20.5". This is why mine, when originally measured, and @Aj58 's brand new Mojave are 20.5" front.

In many cases besides the Mojave shocks, the shock optimal extension and compression is split 50/50 - but not for these, like @mx5red said, for hitting bumps at speed and allowing for more dampening during shock compression. This is in part because the Mojave shocks have two distinct compression bypass zones, while only one extension zone.

Here's an image I made showing the zones and ride height of the front Mojave shocks. It illustrates how the more your springs have sagged/compressed such that your shocks are less than 20.5" eye to eye, the closer the piston gets to Zone 2 - causing for a harsher ride. If you're at 19" or 19.5" you're literally riding up on the firmer zone. If you're at 20.5", you're 1.5" from Zone 2. On the other side of it, the longer your springs are, the less downtravel you'll have as the piston moves closer to Zone 1 and the bottom of the shock - which is worse for articulation/traction off-road, especially in rock crawling.

Jeep Gladiator Stock Mojave Eye to Eye Measurements? mojave-shock
Sponsored

Aj58

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Mojave X
I figured it had to do with wear over time since mine were pretty close to optimal.

I know they put new springs in the 24’s because of the steel bumper group but I wonder if that was only in the front since my rear is compressed a little more.

either way, good information here. Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
dayusmc

dayusmc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Mojave & 2022 JLU High-Tide
Occupation
Retired Marine; Divorce Attorney
To add more to my original thread post:

Sometimes springs sag over time and accessories (steel bumper, winch, a bunch of ducks) can cause them to ride lower, effectively shortening the ride height length of the shock.

My OG post is describing the bypass zones of the shock. Jeep engineered (and shipped from factory) the optimal ride height of the shock to be 3.5" of downtravel (aka extension) and 4 3/8" of uptravel (aka compression). The front shock length (aka ride height) for these two measurements to be true is 20.5". This is why mine, when originally measured, and @Aj58 's brand new Mojave are 20.5" front.

In many cases besides the Mojave shocks, the shock optimal extension and compression is split 50/50 - but not for these, like @mx5red said, for hitting bumps at speed and allowing for more dampening during shock compression. This is in part because the Mojave shocks have two distinct compression bypass zones, while only one extension zone.

Here's an image I made showing the zones and ride height of the front Mojave shocks. It illustrates how the more your springs have sagged/compressed such that your shocks are less than 20.5" eye to eye, the closer the piston gets to Zone 2 - causing for a harsher ride. If you're at 19" or 19.5" you're literally riding up on the firmer zone. If you're at 20.5", you're 1.5" from Zone 2. On the other side of it, the longer your springs are, the less downtravel you'll have as the piston moves closer to Zone 1 and the bottom of the shock - which is worse for articulation/traction off-road, especially in rock crawling.
What is optimum for the rear shocks?

outdoor.adventures

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
What is optimum for the rear shocks?
The total extended rear shock length eye to eye is 25.75”, so take 3.5” off that to get 22.25” at ride height. I didn’t measure the bypass zones on the test bench for the rear but the 7 7/8” of travel is the same as the front. I’d guess the ride zone is a little longer than the fronts, so 21.5” at ride height like @Aj58 has is probably optimal

Sponsored

OP
OP
dayusmc

dayusmc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Mojave & 2022 JLU High-Tide
Occupation
Retired Marine; Divorce Attorney
Thank you. I put my Mojave shocks in my wife's JLU. With the metelcloak shock relocation brackets I am at 22.5 (rear). Seems to ride better than when these shocks were in my Gladiator.

Texops

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, sold, 2023 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Retirement Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
I had a Mojave and liked the ride a lot but traded for a 392 that was a blast but wanted a a Gladiator again so i bought a 2023 Rubicon Gladiator then put a daystar 1 1/2” spacer in front and ordered Fox 2.5 elite performance adjustable reservoir shocks for 0-1.5” lift . My Rubicon eye to eye sitting measurement is 21” front and 22” rear. I love the ride.

180A1F8C-08BC-4F37-87F5-A3DC2BF4BC42.jpeg

outdoor.adventures

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
I had a Mojave and liked the ride a lot but traded for a 392 that was a blast but wanted a a Gladiator again so i bought a 2023 Rubicon Gladiator
Wow, a JT Overland, then a Mojave, then a JL 392, then a JT Rubicon all in 4 years? The man loves his Jeeps!

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
I had a Mojave and liked the ride a lot but traded for a 392 that was a blast but wanted a a Gladiator again so i bought a 2023 Rubicon Gladiator then put a daystar 1 1/2” spacer in front and ordered Fox 2.5 elite performance adjustable reservoir shocks for 0-1.5” lift . My Rubicon eye to eye sitting measurement is 21” front and 22” rear. I love the ride.

Jeep Gladiator Stock Mojave Eye to Eye Measurements? 180A1F8C-08BC-4F37-87F5-A3DC2BF4BC42
Looking at your truck........are you on 35s?

Sponsored

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Time to get that bish on 37s LOL

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Everyone knows the gladiator looks better on 37s.
20240216_131829.jpg
Fuckin A brother........especially when in HVY. Since you went with mud, I went with snow

Jeep Gladiator Stock Mojave Eye to Eye Measurements? PXL_20240116_043033406