Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mojave Gladiator
Occupation
ENG
To add more to my original thread post:

Sometimes springs sag over time and accessories (steel bumper, winch, a bunch of ducks) can cause them to ride lower, effectively shortening the ride height length of the shock.

My OG post is describing the bypass zones of the shock. Jeep engineered (and shipped from factory) the optimal ride height of the shock to be 3.5" of downtravel (aka extension) and 4 3/8" of uptravel (aka compression). The front shock length (aka ride height) for these two measurements to be true is 20.5". This is why mine, when originally measured, and @Aj58 's brand new Mojave are 20.5" front.

In many cases besides the Mojave shocks, the shock optimal extension and compression is split 50/50 - but not for these, like @mx5red said, for hitting bumps at speed and allowing for more dampening during shock compression. This is in part because the Mojave shocks have two distinct compression bypass zones, while only one extension zone.

Here's an image I made showing the zones and ride height of the front Mojave shocks. It illustrates how the more your springs have sagged/compressed such that your shocks are less than 20.5" eye to eye, the closer the piston gets to Zone 2 - causing for a harsher ride. If you're at 19" or 19.5" you're literally riding up on the firmer zone. If you're at 20.5", you're 1.5" from Zone 2. On the other side of it, the longer your springs are, the less downtravel you'll have as the piston moves closer to Zone 1 and the bottom of the shock - which is worse for articulation/traction off-road, especially in rock crawling.

mojave-shock.png
With this understanding. In theory, I wonder if some could run a 1" (say synergy) spring and still be in the (Ride Zone). Seems like you could lift a Mojave a little and not run into the harshness that people experience when weight brings the front down and enters Zone 2. Adding 1" but not having to swap out additional parts would be a nice option.

outdoor.adventures

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
With this understanding. In theory, I wonder if some could run a 1" (say synergy) spring and still be in the (Ride Zone). Seems like you could lift a Mojave a little and not run into the harshness that people experience when weight brings the front down and enters Zone 2. Adding 1" but not having to swap out additional parts would be a nice option.
Yep that's 100% the case. Same with a 1-1.5" leveling kit (spacer pucks)
Sponsored