Sponsored

Stock (or the Rubicon/Max Tow) Springs and then aftermarket shocks?

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
I'm plotting the suspension setup to put on my Gladiator when it gets here next month. I don't want a lift. I don't want 37" tires. I plan on going with 295/70/17 Duratracs most likely so really just a little oomph is my plan.

To that end, I'm reading up on the Teraflex Falcon SP2 2.1 Monotube Shocks (0-1.5” Lift) and I'm curious if anyone has already gone down this path. I'd like progressive springs that get me maybe a 1 inch lift so figure my Max Tow springs will work for the back, maybe the front... i'm not sure what the shocks themselves will net me. Truly i'd like to replicate the Mojave spring/shock setup but nobody
Sponsored

sgtkersh

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland; 1980 CJ5 Golden Eagle
This is almost exactly what I have on my Overland. I have a set of Synergy 1” coil springs in the front and a 1/2” spacer, stock in the rear, and Falcon shocks all around running 295/70/17s. It is a great setup, near stock height so my wife doesn’t have too many problems, little to no rake, holds up my heavy bumper and winch, and fills the wheel wells pretry good with a nice aggressive setup.

BA8DF922-AEE0-4AB9-BCDD-6995E45C17AE.jpeg

8A430C01-2C70-4B94-ACE1-222CADF047B8.jpeg

OP
OP
eternus

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
This is almost exactly what I have on my Overland. I have a set of Synergy 1” coil springs in the front and a 1/2” spacer, stock in the rear, and Falcon shocks all around running 295/70/17s. It is a great setup, near stock height so my wife doesn’t have too many problems, little to no rake, holds up my heavy bumper and winch, and fills the wheel wells pretry good with a nice aggressive setup.

Jeep Gladiator Stock (or the Rubicon/Max Tow) Springs and then aftermarket shocks? 8A430C01-2C70-4B94-ACE1-222CADF047B8

Jeep Gladiator Stock (or the Rubicon/Max Tow) Springs and then aftermarket shocks? 8A430C01-2C70-4B94-ACE1-222CADF047B8
That looks just about perfect, really love the wheels as well. So to be clear:

Front:
Synergy 1" Coils - 8863-10
Teraflex Falcon Shocks - SP2 2.1 Monotube
Daystar 1/2" spacer (I can only find a 3/4" spacer on the Daystar site, but Teraflex has a 1/2" spacer.)

Rear:
Stock Overland Coils
Teraflex Falcon Shocks

As simple as that? Which Falcon shocks do you have? Trying to decide if I need the SP2 or if the base are plenty acceptable.

How different would you say the ride is with this vs stock?

sgtkersh

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland; 1980 CJ5 Golden Eagle
That looks just about perfect, really love the wheels as well. So to be clear:

Front:
Synergy 1" Coils - 8863-10
Teraflex Falcon Shocks - SP2 2.1 Monotube
Daystar 1/2" spacer (I can only find a 3/4" spacer on the Daystar site, but Teraflex has a 1/2" spacer.)

Rear:
Stock Overland Coils
Teraflex Falcon Shocks

As simple as that? Which Falcon shocks do you have? Trying to decide if I need the SP2 or if the base are plenty acceptable.

How different would you say the ride is with this vs stock?
The spacer is actually a 1/2" Teraflex from the 1.5" kit. I installed the bump stops as well. I was just going to do the 1.5" Teraflex spacer kit, but when I went with a steel bumper over aluminum I decided I would rather have a stronger than stock coil spring to ensure it held up the bumper and winch without an sagging.

I actually have the base Falcon shocks, not the SP2s.
14-01-21-400-000JT: Falcon Series 2.1 Monotube Shocks (0-1.5" Lift) - All 4

That is the part number from my invoice. I think it rides fine and from my perspective as good as stock, maybe just a tight harsher over bumps, but the benefits is it is tighter and seems to be a steadier ride if that makes sense. The big one is my wife doesn't complain. In my JKU, she constantly complained about how much it moved around (pitch and roll), but to be fair I had a higher lift, different shocks, and an Antirock front sway bar.

I really like this setup. It really does well IMO with speeds up to about 80. I haven't really had the opportunity to drive faster than that on the highways out here in VA.

Sponsored

rmerkushen

First Name
Roman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Solutions Architect
The spacer is actually a 1/2" Teraflex from the 1.5" kit. I installed the bump stops as well. I was just going to do the 1.5" Teraflex spacer kit, but when I went with a steel bumper over aluminum I decided I would rather have a stronger than stock coil spring to ensure it held up the bumper and winch without an sagging.

That is the part number from my invoice. I think it rides fine and from my perspective as good as stock, maybe just a tight harsher over bumps, but the benefits is it is tighter and seems to be a steadier ride if that makes sense. The big one is my wife doesn't complain. In my JKU, she constantly complained about how much it moved around (pitch and roll), but to be fair I had a higher lift, different shocks, and an Antirock front sway bar.

I really like this setup. It really does well IMO with speeds up to about 80. I haven't really had the opportunity to drive faster than that on the highways out here in VA.
these are the shocks I installed, and although the rears are perfect, the fronts are a bit too stiff at slow speed. I hate rubicon rear shocks, they are horrible.

Falcons are solid quality shocks. I will most likely get adjustable ones to dial in my preference. I listed the monotube for sale if anyone is interested.

Last edited:
OP
OP
eternus

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager

Ok, I've been driving my Sport w/ Rubicon shocks and front springs + rubicon shocks and max tow springs for 8 mos now and finally over 4k miles. I just got back from a trip over the mountains from Eastern Colorado to Moab... and the roads are a shit show, tons of bounce (though my tires were sitting close to 40 psi because of heat from the drive) and sway with the curvy mountain roads. I NEED to fix this before another trip. I think I'm going to splurge on the SP3 shocks and probably do the Synergy + .5 spacer for the front springs. It's been almost a year, still loving your setup? I don't think I want it to be stiff in the front, it was scaring the crap out of me as I bounce steered coming down a 5-6% grade road at 65 mph.
Sponsored