Sponsored

Sunrider for Hardtop storage rack

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
It dipped into the 30s in Wisconsin last week so i took the Sunrider for hardtop off, then it hit the 70s this week because #wisconsinweather. :facepalm:

i've been trying to figure out how to store this thing unfolded, but its about 57" x 33". I know my rafters are 24" on center, so I measured between the two red circles and its about 46".

Jeep Gladiator Sunrider for Hardtop storage rack Screenshot 2020-11-07 230456

Jeep Gladiator Sunrider for Hardtop storage rack Screenshot 2020-11-07 224734

So in classic Steffen707 fashion I overengineered this thing. I should have just used 2x4 vertical legs instead of the hooks, but as often happens. Once i get an idea in my head that's all I can see. DOH!

Anyways, I wrapped the sunrider for hardtop in a cheap king sized comforter from amazon to keep it a bit protected as I raised it up and also to keep it clean from my wood working.
Jeep Gladiator Sunrider for Hardtop storage rack Screenshot 2020-11-07 224910

I circled the same front mounting clamps in Red as I did for the first photo. you see the 2x4s sit between them. The softtop clotth is nearest to the ceiling, the plastic frame is all that's touching the 2x4s.

Hope this can help somebody else out. Next time I would just make it all from lumber.

Jeep Gladiator Sunrider for Hardtop storage rack Screenshot 2020-11-07 225836
Sponsored

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
I took the Sunrider for hardtop off,
to store this thing unfolded its about 57" x 33". ".
, I wrapped the sunrider for hardtop in a cheap king sized comforter from amazon to keep it a bit protected and also to keep it clean from my wood working.
. The softtop clotth is nearest to the ceiling, the plastic frame is all that's touching the 2x4s.
Screenshot 2020-11-07 225836.jpg
Comforter seems like overkill... and cumbersome to manage - is there a contractor size garbage bag that would fit? Or perhaps the plastic bag that a twin mattress comes in... or even a cheap full cover zippered twin mattress protector if protection from dust and such is required. If someone is handy with a sewing machine you could put a zipper on a king bedsheet to custom fit a cover.

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Comforter seems like overkill... and cumbersome to manage - is there a contractor size garbage bag that would fit? Or perhaps the plastic bag that a twin mattress comes in... or even a cheap full cover zippered twin mattress protector if protection from dust and such is required. If someone is handy with a sewing machine you could put a zipper on a king bedsheet to custom fit a cover.
It does come in a big yellow Bestop plastic bag with the original packaging. I held onto it for when I take mine off.

Love the rack by the way. I'll have to figure something out when I take it off, so thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
cheap full cover zippered twin mattress protector
This would have been less expensive and smarter.

so if somebody does this, i would suggest a zippered mattress protector and make the distance between the bottom 2 boards at 46" and make the boards for the rafter at 48" on center as this will work for 16" or 24" on center rafters.

Willys2Gladiator

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Why remove it at all? Do soft top owners remove them when winter hits. Not understanding the reason to remove durring winter months. Hell if mines implodes some day then time for a new one. Like I'd live that long...... Just saying leave it on.

Sponsored

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why remove it at all? Do soft top owners remove them when winter hits. Not understanding the reason to remove durring winter months. Hell if mines implodes some day then time for a new one. Like I'd live that long...... Just saying leave it on.
winter is 5-6 months a year in Wisconsin, hardtop is warmer and quieter.

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
winter is 5-6 months a year in Wisconsin, hardtop is warmer and quieter.
I'll second this. In south dakota, mine came off last week too. I just stood the thing up against the wall for winter storage, keeps it well enough out of the way.

Sponsored

Empty Pockets

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S, Sting Ray, 6 Speed (YES!)
Nice job. I was thinking on the same path until I realized that I just wanted to keep the dang thing on all year. It’s no colder and no noisier than the freedom panels. And I can enjoy the occasional warm winter day (60 or so) that comes in to surprise us.

GladnotSad

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
VP Ops
I take mine off and I leave it in the yellow plastic with the foam ends in the box it came in. Still looks brand new after two seasons.

Last edited:
OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I take my off and I leave it in the yellow plastic with the foam ends in the box it came in. Still looks brand new after two seasons.
Smart move. I was so excited I threw all that away like a dunce.

nyyankees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 2004 TJ 4.0
Nice set-up. I have to say that I simply took it off, tied the plastic sides off the rail so that it stays in place and slid it under the bed in our spare bedroom. Out of the way until spring!
Sponsored