Tazer and dealership OBD readers

RidinDirty

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Just curious if anyone has had any experience in leaving their Tazer plugged in when taking it to the dealer. Will effect their readers/updaters etc. I know it's pretty easy to uninstall pre-service but does it actually matter?
Sponsored

JP15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black JKUR, 2020 Sting Gray JT Rubicon
Just curious if anyone has had any experience in leaving their Tazer plugged in when taking it to the dealer. Will effect their readers/updaters etc. I know it's pretty easy to uninstall pre-service but does it actually matter?
I'd highly recommend to remove it whenever you go to the dealership for service. I left mine in the first time I went for service and it ended up costing me because it wasn't a factory setup and the "security gateway was offline" so they wouldn't warranty the visit and once they found out there was something else plugged in that was the end of the diagnostics for that visit.

OP
OP
RidinDirty

RidinDirty

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I'd highly recommend to remove it whenever you go to the dealership for service. I left mine in the first time I went for service and it ended up costing me because it wasn't a factory setup and the "security gateway was offline" so they wouldn't warranty the visit and once they found out there was something else plugged in that was the end of the diagnostics for that visit.
Thanks for the info, this is exactly what I was trying to confirm.

AzRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
THREE Gladiators, and a JL Wrangler
My dealer puts a wireless thing into the OBD port on the service drive when checking it in.... it links up to an iPad that they carry and thats how it gets checked in for its appointment. Tells the iPad and service advisor things like mileage and if it has any bad codes, recalls.. etc.

I don't have a taser.

Sponsored

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Tazer in my truck stayed plugged in for a Jeep Waves oil change at the dealer down the street from my office. Their only issue was forgetting the Bluetooth wireless OBD2 dongle, the SA wandered back with her iPad and collected it right before my truck went in the building. NO issues at all.

If I was expecting a firmware update or had another issue that needed fixed, I would definitely take it out. The Tazer plugs into a port that is inside the firewall, it makes sense you need to free that interface up for service use. For normal maintenance, there is no need to remove it.

My dealer puts a wireless thing into the OBD port on the service drive when checking it in.... it links up to an iPad that they carry and thats how it gets checked in for its appointment. Tells the iPad and service advisor things like mileage and if it has any bad codes, recalls.. etc.

I don't have a taser.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Interesting there is another way to do software updates than through the bypass port. I plan to pull my when I take it in to get the steering box upgrade, but now I want to know more about where else the CAN bus has ports!

I had mine at the dealer today for the new steering box and software update. Left my Tazer plugged in. No problem.

mrmo

First Name
Mrmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
nuke
Im using the extension cables with a Tazer Lite, so I have to pull the dash panel and reinstall the cables to the gateway everything....PIA. Isnt there a bypass that you can use to take the Tazer out and put into another little black box to reconnect the gateway service, and let the OBD port work again

mrmo

First Name
Mrmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
nuke
Im talking about this, unplug the Tazer, install this, and then the OBD port is good. Just connect the extension cables and shove em up inside the panel, and when done, reverse the steps.

Jeep Gladiator Tazer and dealership OBD readers 1669049339546

HankB

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport, Porsche Panamera 4S
Occupation
Retired
I took mine in for a tire repair and figured the Tazer could stay. They plugged in their obd dongle to check it in and said, “that’s odd this says your gladiator is blue”. So note to self, unplug the thing before you go back for service. I got the extension cables, so it should be pretty easy to accomplish.
Sponsored