Tents?

TANK21

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Anybody figure out which tent is best? Not roof top because of dog looking at tailgate tent etc.
Sponsored

russross

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon

NORDNDED

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2016 JKUR, 2015 JKURHR, 2015 F150, 1973 Ford Bronco

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
If you are interested in truck bed tents I'd have a look at the Kodiak Canvas:

http://www.kodiakcanvas.com/canvas-truck-tent-mid-sized/
Yes, if you have "patience" to deal with the heavier Galvanized skeleton-tubes ! I feel also that the method of attaching to the side rails a bit "iffy" !? Also, have they made one that FITs the JT yet ? I really like my 9'x 8' x 6' kodiak ground tent, but for me it IS a real Chore to put up & breakdown ALONE ! Thinking about getting the smaller version IF I stick with ground tents - the 8' x 6' x 4' / windows all around too .
The Gazelle tents are Quick and I find the project interesting .

G8R

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon-solid white
Occupation
Medical Devices
I have used many different tents including high end mountaineering tents (Bibler, Marmot, etc). But what I use nearly all the time for car camping is this 3 person canvas Springbar tent (www.kirkhams.com). I have had this specific tent since the mid 1980's. I likely have close to 400 nights in this thing. I can easily stand up in it. It sleeps 3 with gear easily fits 4 without gear. It is easy to setup and teardown alone (about 6-10 minutes). I did rip the bug netting about 8 years ago and had it repaired ($25). The drawback is that it requires stakes whereas my other tents are freestanding (but I only use those backpacking).

IMG_1824.jpg

Sponsored

G8R

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon-solid white
Occupation
Medical Devices
And, when it is raining hugely and I did not have time to setup a tarp, I can do this easily as well (wild porcini's for dinner!). The tent ventilates well and does not suffer from instant melt down if it gets a spark from a fire on it (personal experience here...).

IMG_1813.jpg

MonkeySkunks

First Name
Nik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2016 Odyssey
When I have the space I use the Kodiak VX version of the springbar. It's built like a tank, breathes well and has huge windows. The springbar has a couple of beefier features but weren't worth the extra cost for me. If I was in the market for a truck tent I'd give the Kodiak a look but I can't see it working as well or being as comfortable as the springbar style tent. Upcoming gladiator purchase is, in part, so I always have space for the Kodiak.
Sponsored