First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
So i had never driven a gladiator prior driving a Bronco for the first time. I hadn't even driven a JL. My last experience driving a jeep was a 2016 JKU. So when i got behind the wheel of a 2021 4dr Badlands with Jeep a distant memory, everything felt great. Threw the softtop back and cruised. Dealer probably wasn't thrilled with me because I put 450 miles on their mannequin Bronco that only had 120 when I got it, but whatever, that's what the mannequins were for: to be driven. It was a 4dr badlands no sasquatch automatic 2.3 with leather and lux (for anyone who knows or cares about bronco packages)

Well, after more fuckaround from Ford (i have a base 2dr manual sasquatch ordered) my dealer started a program where I could lease a gladiator willys hardtop automatic (my only choice was color) and they would buy it out whenever my Bronco showed up. I needed a car so I figured sure. Memories of the JKU told me I wasn't going to like it, but I'd drive a shoe with a guaranteed buyout. Well, i've been driving my Gladiator for 5 months now, and hadn't driven a bronco since September of last year. Around a month ago I said fuck Ford and fuck the Bronco, i'm just gonna order a gladiator the way i want it. Mojave manual hardtop in gobi, order placed. 53k was a tough pill to swallow over my 41k Bronco as-ordered, but the price of something that doesn't exist is irrelevant really so i moved on with my life and felt good in my decision.

That's until i saw my local dealer received a manual sasquatch (4dr badlands mid package). Well, i gotta drive it or I'm gonna be plagued by FOMO for the rest of my days. I'd already read the reviews. People compared the shifter to an RS more than a wrangler. They said the digital tach wasn't as bad as it sounded on paper.

So i show up at the dealer ready for the games. "Dealer's brother's friend ordered it, but he may not want it. We want 15k over sticker, blah blah blah." Tell em i'll pay 5 over sticker, not a penny more (no i wont, but they lie to me so I never feel bad about lying to them). Few days later, the deal fell through and they want me to test drive it. Well that's all I was angling for anyway. Of course!

Except, that digital tachometer is the hottest of garbages. the "RS" reminiscent shifter is close to a bottle jack lever than a short throw shifter (manual gladitor isn't any better, but no one lied about how great it was either), and after coming out of looking over the hood of a Jeep, the view from the bronco felt claustrophobic, like I was driving a Hummer. The view and the long throw would be a short adjustment i'm sure, but that tachometer has NO business in any vehicle ever sold with a manual. (i'm not saying all digital tachs are bad, but THAT one is terrible).

Makes me wonder how many people are like me, enthralled by the bronco because they don't remember the wrangler well enough.

Long story short: Can't wait for my Mojave to arrive. Broncos are still cool, but they aren't getting my money.
Sponsored

Trout Safari

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed
Honesty and integrity is a two way street.

Fastwake

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Smart Move Pal

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I remember what a Wrangler is like and Honestly if I had to choose between the Bronco or the Wrangler I'm choosing the Bronco for the Value alone. Love my JT though and would not part ways with it for one. I've owned a JKU and driven JLUs plenty of times, almost bought one just before I bought the JT and drove it for almost a month before taking it back to CarMax. The Bronco has more room inside than the Wranglers do hands down, especially in the back seats. Can't speak for cargo space because that area really doesn't matter to me. Plus the extra pep in the Skinny pedal that the 2.7 offers compared to the 3.6 is almost worth it along. Not mention you get lockers, 4.7 gears, lifted, beadlocks on 35's, steel fenders and steel front bumper for under $47,000, seems like a steal to me. I feel you though on the ordering process and all, that's why I went with a dealership that was recommended by someone and they have stick to there guns. They also told me if it doesn't arrive in the 5 month time frame they will refund my $1000 and keep the order alive. I really got nothing to loose.and they ain't marking them up either, just got to pay the Destination fee and taxes when it arrives

troymi

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Jeep Gladiator Rubi Ecodiesel
So is the dealer going to stand by their word and buy out your Willys after you changed and ordered the Mojave instead of Bronco?

Sponsored

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
So is the dealer going to stand by their word and buy out your Willys after you changed and ordered the Mojave instead of Bronco?
They probably have some sort of lease deal where they can buy it out because of the stupid high resale value right now and whatever the residual/lease buy out is. I’ve been hearing about people getting out of leases really early these days. So long story short, he could probably trade it in somewhere else for a similar deal.

I’d be curious to see the lease details as far as mileage and down payment. It’s interesting that the only option he could pick was color. The dealership found a sweet spot somewhere.

yoda13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Build Thread
Link
The Broncos look cool. No complaints from me if anyone wants one. I don’t like the view out so well, but everything else is at least decent to really good, but I will be keeping my JT:)

OP
OP
Rahkmalla

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
The owner confirmed in writing he would honor the buyout if I got a gladiator instead of a bronco. Though I did lose a percent in the process. My bronco was ordered at 4% under but he's only doing 3% under on jeeps right now.

OP
OP
Rahkmalla

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
They probably have some sort of lease deal where they can buy it out because of the stupid high resale value right now and whatever the residual/lease buy out is. I’ve been hearing about people getting out of leases really early these days. So long story short, he could probably trade it in somewhere else for a similar deal.

I’d be curious to see the lease details as far as mileage and down payment. It’s interesting that the only option he could pick was color. The dealership found a sweet spot somewhere.
i have a feeler out to a KKB instant cash dealer I sold my last two cars to, to see how their offer compares to the dealer buyout price. i'm sticking with my originating dealer because I like the way they've treated me, but you gotta performance your due diligence to keep everyone honest.

I was a little less than honest when I said I could only pick color. My choices were a 4xe sahara with colored hardtop, a 4xe sahara with skytop, and a gladiator willys hardtop automatic. the willys hardtop was the only gladiator choice, but it wasn't the only choice.

I assume they picked the vehicles they picked because they expected them to have the highest resale on the lightly used market.

Garemlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Willys Gladiator
My Bronco is scheduled to be built next week. That is unless it gets pushed back. Which is likely.
Sponsored