Sponsored

Test drove on Mud Tires - how different would AT be?

travelstar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
I did a test drive today of a Gladiator Mojave and I was surprised by how loud the ride was (though a lot of it was wind ). It also felt a little choppier and bumpy on the road than I was expecting.

I wasn't expecting the smoothest ride, but I also noticed afterwards that it was equipped the Falken Mud Tires. They didn't have an option with All Terrain to test.

Would All Terrain tires be a noticeably different experience? I'm just trying to figure out if I got a fairly accurate test drive.
Sponsored

Garemlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Willys Gladiator
Mud tires are going to be loud. The KM2's that came on my Willys are. I have actually heard that the Falken Wildpeak MTs are among the quietest mud tires. So yeah going with an AT tires will lessen the noise. I'm swapping mine out as soon as I figure out what I want.

SubiRubi

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I can tell you from experience that the Falken MT's are loud! I had 33's on my Rubi. Just swapped them out for 35" Ridge Grapplers and now it drives like a dream. Better handling, response, quieter and looks much better!

20210328_173242.jpg

Ohioguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
My dealer swapped out the MTs for ATs, I much prefer the ATs due to the noise issue.

Sponsored

mnf1fan

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' Challenger Hellcat. 17' Grand Cherokee SRT, 2021 Mojave,Loaded.
I have the factory AT's. I've no issues with any tire noise.

jeepin48

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland 3.0L
Occupation
Engineer
Ride quality is significant when it comes to tire design. The larger the tread block, the more "slapping" and tire noise, and the rougher the ride. Look at a highway tire by comparison. The blocks are small and not nearly as thick allowing it to flex and absorb the bumps. The Wildpeak AT are one of the better tires but when I switched to it from the stock overland tires it was a HUGE difference, much more harsh.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Any M/T is going to be a lot less smoother on the road than a A/T. I just switched my BFG KO2s 35's for Goodyear Kevlar MTR 37's and the ride and sound is noticable worse but that's what I expected. I forgot how much more quiet the A/Ts are and how much better they ride. With that said after driving mine with the M/Ts on I'm considering staying with a decent M/T once the Goodyears wear out. It all comes down to what your using it for really. You can find a good A/T that performs almost as good as a M/T. If your not planning on seeing deep mud and daily drive it then I say find a aggressive A/T and you will be happy.

I'm considering Cooper Discoverer AT3 xLTs for mine or MasterCraft Courser MTXs in 37 when these Goodyears wear out. I've heard the Mastercraft are not as loud as some of the other M/Ts.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Another thing to account for is rolling resistance, it makes a difference. Keep in mind it is HIGHLY likely the tires were over inflated, which makes for a choppy ride regardless of the tire type.

I put my take off Falken AT's on my old YJ, replacing a set of BFG KM2's. The downside is I can't leave my foot off the brake at an inclined stop light - not kidding, I'd gotten into that habit. The lower rolling resistance is surprisingly different depending on how aggressive the MT tread is. The smoothness of a high quality AT is something to behold, it's not like a whole new suspension but I'd really forgotten how decent a leaf spring Jeep can ride!

I did a test drive today of a Gladiator Mojave and I was surprised by how loud the ride was (though a lot of it was wind ). It also felt a little choppier and bumpy on the road than I was expecting.

I wasn't expecting the smoothest ride, but I also noticed afterwards that it was equipped the Falken Mud Tires. They didn't have an option with All Terrain to test.

Would All Terrain tires be a noticeably different experience? I'm just trying to figure out if I got a fairly accurate test drive.