First Name
Roland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Hopefully someone smarter than me can weigh in on this post. Last year I purchased a new 2020 Gladiator Rubicon 3.6L v6, 4.10 axle ratio, with tow package. I bought the Gladiator not only for off roading in southern UT but to also to tow our 25' Airstream trailer which weighs about 6,000 lbs dry (we usually tow the Airstream with our F-150). I recently had the dealer install the Mopar electronic brake controller on the Gladiator. The Gladiator payload is 1,171 lbs and after subtracting the weight the Warn winch, of a couple adults and the Airstream hitch weight (with full LP propane tanks and two batteries) and factoring in the BlueOx weight distribution hitch, I am pretty close to the payload limit. The Gladiator towed the Airstream from northern UT to Moab just fine for the recent Easter Jeep Safari. I am only interested in offroad trails rated 5 or less -- nothing crazy, but I would like to still occasionally tow my Airstream in the western states (maximum 200-400 mile range). Moab Jeep Safari requires at least 35" tires for level 5 trails. The Gladiator is still running stock wheels and tires (17" x 7.5 and 33" tires) with no additional lift. I have been on a quite a few 3 and 4 rated trails and scrapped bottom a few times, more under the belly and only a couple times at the back end on sharp descents.

Overall, I would like to get an additional 3" of clearance so I am thinking of 18" x 9" wheels with 35" tires and a 2" lift and prefer not to mess with the 4.10 axle ratio. If so, will this give me fits with towing and will I need to change my gear settings?
Sponsored

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
OK, first, your Rubicon can fit 35's with no lift added. No this doesn't help off road clearance but it gives you an idea of where you are stock.

As you already know since you've towed with it, you're NOT going to see 8th gear unless downhill with a heavy tail wind. 7th may be a stretch. You don't need to worry about regearing if 35's are your limit. You COULD benefit from regear for towing your Airstream.

With all that said, and I am a flatlander compared to you, you might be able to get away with a spacer lift and shock extensions. Won't change any of your towing/driving capabilities. As for off road, only you can be the judge of how the JT handles.

Oh, the 18" wheels throws you into high price, low choice territory on tires. 17" is the more economical route.

LOL, another afterthought. Kenda makes a 10.5 wide 35 that will work on the stock wheels and they are a reasonable price.

Skull

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave
Occupation
Aircraft Technician
My Rubicon has a 2 inch Mopar lift ,37 inch tires on 18 inch wheels, stock 4.10 gearing.I have towed a 4500 lb. v-nose trailer several times with no problem other than wishing for a little more power on some hills. I regularly see 8th gear on interstate travel without trailer. Happy with setup,lots of clearance. My 2 cents.

KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
My Rubicon has a 2 inch Mopar lift ,37 inch tires on 18 inch wheels, stock 4.10 gearing.I have towed a 4500 lb. v-nose trailer several times with no problem other than wishing for a little more power on some hills. I regularly see 8th gear on interstate travel without trailer. Happy with setup,lots of clearance. My 2 cents.

Why do you have to "put your two cents in"... but it’s only a "penny for your thoughts"? Where's that extra penny going (taxes)?

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
35's aren't a problem, your trailer that is 6,000 lbs dry sounds like an issue. Are you sure about that? Have you gone to the scales to verify? Your limit with the Rubicon is 7,000 lbs, which a trailer with only 1,000 lbs payload is not something I've seen.

Sponsored

OP
OP

letzrol

First Name
Roland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
35's aren't a problem, your trailer that is 6,000 lbs dry sounds like an issue. Are you sure about that? Have you gone to the scales to verify? Your limit with the Rubicon is 7,000 lbs, which a trailer with only 1,000 lbs payload is not something I've seen.
Thanks - your comment allowed me to double check the Airstream specs. The base weight (with LP and batteries) is 5,503. I rounded up to 6,000 lbs because we added a rear hitch for our bike carrier and then pots/pans/weberQ BBQ/other general trailer stuff. The maximum trailer capacity is 7,300. You are correct, the JT Rubicon's limit is 7,000.

OP
OP

letzrol

First Name
Roland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Thanks - 37" tires would be nice. I was only thinking about 35s. Did you flash/tazer the JT because of these mods?

Skull

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave
Occupation
Aircraft Technician
Thanks - 37" tires would be nice. I was only thinking about 35s. Did you flash/tazer the JT because of these mods?
I bought it set up like this from the dealership and that was accomplished by them.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Depends a lot on your perception of towing performance and the type terrain you are towing in. I have 34” tires on my max tow, I am towing a boat around 3500lbs that is fairly aerodynamic in a moderately hilly area, IMO it is about the limit with lots of gear hunting and downshifting, my trailers have surge brakes which work pretty well, but braking distance is increased with larger tires, center of gravity it also raised which can cause more sway.

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
Hmm, I'd say try it before you switch the gearing. I run 34' tires with my 4k lb trailer and its fine, even on longer trips. I do have a 4.5' lift, but I like to go on trails of a little higher rating. We did Poison Spider & top of the World last Sept (2" lift then) and it was a challenge, and I have gone to 37" tires with 17" x 9" width, however, I will still only pull the trailer with the 34's on. I have an RTT to use with the 37" now, so I can go on a bit more challenging runs. I've even thought about dragging my trailer to MOAB with the 34's on and changing them after the trailer is in position for the 37's. Both sets are on their own wheels. Trails are a blast, but it sure is nice to be comfortable after. I was shocked to see my JT in eighth gear (no trailer) when I was going down the interstate the other day to, with the 37's on. (they are actually 36.7") so they are at the outer limits of the 4.10 gearing, according to the chart. I'm holding off incase I consider 40's. I don't want to change gearing twice. Anyway, I think your trailer may be a bit heavy for excellent performance while pulling the trailer on 35's, but it should still be acceptable. Give it a try.
Sponsored