First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Freedom
Build Thread
Link
I’ll have a Yellowstone trip write up done in the trips section later. But for the power specific part;

1200 miles from last Friday to today. 950 of it towing 6k. Out west high of 102, topped out altitude towing of apx 8500 ft 10% grade worst.

Not one power plant issue, or Jeep issue at all!

Details; 2021 April build, Maggie tune (more later) and install by there dealer. Apx 1500 miles on the SC befor the trip. Apx 6500 on the truck, after first oil change before the SC was installed.

See my build link for all the details but over all; maxtow spacer front and rear. 34” tires. I added black summo springs rear the day I left; very happy I did.

Truck I’ve not had any issues at all, funky hot start then dies but that comes and goes; all I do is hit the button again and hold idle at 2k rpm and presto gtg.

Tune, stock Maggie tune. If I knew no better I would say it’s great! But I know Dave’s is better, I’m still flopping in my head back and forth over doing it. More later.

This was an RV trip to Yellowstone stone, and Jackson Hole. Then home via Craters of the Moon.

It was 95 the day I left, not more than 50 miles on the trailer, and no real long trip w the SC. Was going to be interesting… ID is 80 speed limit, I prefer 65-70 towing and try and find a simi doing that to draft off. This leg was little weird all the sini’s were doing 60 and I ended up passing a lot.

Tune, ok here is the not great part.With my 4.10’s and 34” and SC my sweet spot seemed to be 6th at 72, 5th seemed useless like the truck was in and out of boost all the time right at 3700-4K in 5th making no (stock?) power. 4th kicked ass but I didn’t like hanging out over 5k rpm. 4th also was sorta dead in that 3700-4K range.

Trailer was heavy just over 6k ready for the road w a WDH, Anderson, the trailer is smaller a custom built toy hauler w a 16’ box + v-noise. It’s small but a beef cake.

I was under all axle weights, under Gcvwr by a lot under tow rating by 1700 pounds right at the hitch weight at 740. Truck was under Gvwr by a tiny bit. Nothing in the bed, that’s what a TH is for!

So loaded heavy but not over loaded at all.

SC awesomeness! I could merge and pass! Ok not like a corvette but I could actually pass if needed measured in seconds (ok 10+) but not in minutes.

Hills, going up! The 10% 8500 ft pass going west out of Jackson Hole kicked my ass, 2nd at 5k 35mph 😔 the leap from 2-3 is looong and just didn’t have the rpm in 3rd to get above 40, if I could have hit 43 I would have been good in 3rd, but the mountain knew this and put S turn 25 mph turns right at the hard parts!

mother wise all passes I kept speed within 5mph of the limit. Usually a true not traffic ahead of me slowed me down.

Great right?

Ok back to the tune, really feels STRONG over 4K, I was kinda disappointed in that hotzone of 3-4K rpm, I expected more TQ. Felt like it was there…. nope! Gone oh here surge some nope fake out ok down shift from 6th to 4th lots o power!!!!

Wait 5th? Na no power 4th or 6th.

Was fighting a head wind coming home ad 6th at 3k rpm 66mph didn’t have the grunt and 5th at 3900 sucked so 4th push to 5k and 69-71 then to 6th.

Cruise control kinda worked not really. If I wanted 67 I set CC to 72. Truck kinds mini surged a lot, did this to rest my leg on the long flats.

90% of the time manually shifting the auto. Got 9 mpg Ave 8 towing, 15-16 just cruising.

Water never got over 235 that I saw, oil hit 251 once on that 10% grade other wise usually under 240.

Now I’ll be honest I can’t say I would keep this truck with out a SC on it, I can only think how anemic the stock 3.6 is. Maybe the Diesel but I hit 245-251 oil temp, on a 95 def day with no shut down, would a D done that? No way to know.

Jeep Gladiator The greatness of a Maggie, or 1200 miles no issues 6ECFD6F3-D75F-412E-BEA5-BF3523187179
Sponsored

cmb396

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Nice report, and I'm sure one helluva trip!
My SC is the same. I have 5k miles, and only issue I have, which just arised 500 miles ago is a jeep issue, and not a SC or Dave tune issue.
I've only towed once, my OP4 with gear to the mountains. My truck is on 39's with 513s, and it pulled the camper with ease. Could pass with ease, and had no issue staying above 60 on long inclines, 5th gear at 4500-5k rpm seemed to be the sweet spot for the big hills.
My coolant never sees above 230, staying around 210 the majority of the time, and I think highest oil I saw was 220ish on a long incline. Mileage was about the same.