Sponsored

The good and the bad of a roots supercharger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

1BadCtdBrute

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘99 XJ, ‘09 JKUR, ‘21 MOJAVE
Occupation
Professional killer
I can say, with 1000% certainty, you and anyone else running a Magnuson should uninstall it ASAP. My 21 Mojave is basically been rendered useless by this installation. I have been without daily use of my Jeep since the day it was bolted on. Between the ridiculous variance in tuning between same model year PCMs to the crappy quality control from Stellantis, the installation of a Magnuson supercharger has ruined the Jeep I’ve waited years to buy. I have r&r’d EVERYTHING but the pistons and rods and it still taps like a diesel at idle and rattles and misfires at part throttle, and shuts power down above half throttle. Dave can show you snaps of my logs (he has at least 20+) to corroborate this. I’m at the point of “F**k it, I’m ordering a TRX”
My Jeep was absolutely amazing before the Magnuson install. It is ruined now.
Dave I emailed you this as well but hoping to get to the bottom of this ASAP because I have a road trip coming up to the Rockies in which I plan to take and off-road the Jeep and trying to figure out if I just need to uninstall the SC for now or of there is something I might be able to do to get this running right.

As I read this I’m wondering if this is where my issue is? Can you describe what one would observe when the throttle losses control, and the cam timing goes into a catalyst reserve?
As you describe the control system being used this sounds very much like what is happening after my install. I know I am running a recent firmware as I had to install a new PCM after an electrical issue in which my original one got fried.
Sponsored

Chuckfu5

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
COO
I can say, with 1000% certainty, you and anyone else running a Magnuson should uninstall it ASAP. My 21 Mojave is basically been rendered useless by this installation. I have been without daily use of my Jeep since the day it was bolted on. Between the ridiculous variance in tuning between same model year PCMs to the crappy quality control from Stellantis, the installation of a Magnuson supercharger has ruined the Jeep I’ve waited years to buy. I have r&r’d EVERYTHING but the pistons and rods and it still taps like a diesel at idle and rattles and misfires at part throttle, and shuts power down above half throttle. Dave can show you snaps of my logs (he has at least 20+) to corroborate this. I’m at the point of “F**k it, I’m ordering a TRX”
My Jeep was absolutely amazing before the Magnuson install. It is ruined now.
I've had my supercharger installed for 10k miles. While the install was long and rough ( because of Magnuson ) and the tuning was very rough in the beginning I'm 95% happy with Dave's tunes and his support and what he has been able to do for me.

I don't think I would be saying the same thing if I hadn't connected with Dave and had his support.

I've also had 0 mechanical issues with the supercharge or engine since the supercharger install.

1BadCtdBrute

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Professional killer
I can appreciate your experience with your Gladiator but mine has gone downhill since I started it the first time after installation of the Magnuson. It was an absolute dream up until that day. Now everything I have done has been for nothing. It knocks/ticks/smokes blue smoke and now the rear seal is blown out because of a check valve that I installed on the make up side catch can (My Mojave has always puked oil into the intake tube behind the air filter). My experience is that any power adder,regardless of brand, will eventually cause the motor to have issues. Too much compression and no oil control. My two cents only.

Chuckfu5

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
COO
I can appreciate your experience with your Gladiator but mine has gone downhill since I started it the first time after installation of the Magnuson. It was an absolute dream up until that day. Now everything I have done has been for nothing. It knocks/ticks/smokes blue smoke and now the rear seal is blown out because of a check valve that I installed on the make up side catch can (My Mojave has always puked oil into the intake tube behind the air filter). My experience is that any power adder,regardless of brand, will eventually cause the motor to have issues. Too much compression and no oil control. My two cents only.
Yeah and I'm not trying to discredited what your saying or your experience. I'm simply giving others the other side of owning a supercharger and the fun side of owning one and hearing success stories of the power adder.

1BadCtdBrute

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Professional killer
I think that with millions of these engines out there that haven’t crapped the bed at 11k mikes, I just got a bad one. Badly built. To its credit, I have actually been trying to get it to come apart and it won’t. Dave’s tuning has a great deal of protection built in. Anywho, who would like to buy a Magnuson kit? I’m pulling it off asap. And it has every bit of 250 miles of “usage.” I’m sincerely hoping Dave will help me get the new engine to run well in NA form.

DDC87F96-89C3-4F45-A982-77AA2F01E347.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I think that with millions of these engines out there that haven’t crapped the bed at 11k mikes, I just got a bad one. Badly built. To its credit, I have actually been trying to get it to come apart and it won’t. Dave’s tuning has a great deal of protection built in. Anywho, who would like to buy a Magnuson kit? I’m pulling it off asap. And it has every bit of 250 miles of “usage.” I’m sincerely hoping Dave will help me get the new engine to run well in NA form.

Jeep Gladiator The good and the bad of a roots supercharger. DDC87F96-89C3-4F45-A982-77AA2F01E347
Be more than happy to help.

For the record, I sympathize with your frustration. I get to change my driver's side cam soon.

1BadCtdBrute

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Professional killer
I have a pristine set of cams as well. The only things I didn’t need to replace when I finally pulled it back apart. I believe I need at least two pistons but I won’t know for sure until the block gets yanked.

SteveInOrlando

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Software Design
If it was an absolute dream, then why did you feel the need to add a supercharger? Those 2 statements don't go together!

I added mine because it was not a dream! If I hadn't added the supercharger, I would have sold the severely underpowered thing off. I live in high speed highway driving with overpasses, and it was unable to hold speed at 75mph in 6th gear going over an overpass. I should not have to downshift every mile to go over an overpass! RIDICULOUS!

I am one of those who is very happy with my supercharger. I am running a somewhat older, super stable (for my engine), and somewhat less powerful tune than most of y'all. I get around 350lb/ft of torque at 1800 RPM which allows me to keep my RPM low and cruise comfortably without downshifting constantly.

If you are happy with your jeep, why would you risk losing your warranty coverage from one of the worst manufacturers in the world!

Installing a supercharger can be very risky. I have had boosted vehicles live 200K miles, so I don't know about the concept that the boost alone will destroy your engine. Someone got unhappy because they had a bad experience and they are now trying to warn everyone off.

1BadCtdBrute

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Professional killer
Well I can say it is NOT ONE BIT as underpowered as my 2009 JKUR. I have several vehicles that have “power”. I wrench on my own stuff and drive it like I own it (not the bank). Glad you’re having good luck, but trust me that’s all it is.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
we started to ask every Jeep dealer tech on the phone how often they change JL/JT cams. So far it's been the same "all day everyday" response.
I asked the two local Jeep dealers about cam issues - both said - what issues?
They haven't seen anything out of the ordinary and one tech acted like "what are you talking about" when I asked him.

Sponsored

SteveInOrlando

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Design
They haven't seen anything out of the ordinary and one tech acted like "what are you talking about" when I asked him.
LOL, sure like they would admit they have a defective product and lose a potential sale.

cmb396

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Funny, my local podunk dealer here in WV says they do atleast 2 a week.

OP
OP

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I can bring them 6 I have in my garage and the corresponding rockers.

cmb396

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
If it was an absolute dream, then why did you feel the need to add a supercharger? Those 2 statements don't go together!

I added mine because it was not a dream! If I hadn't added the supercharger, I would have sold the severely underpowered thing off. I live in high speed highway driving with overpasses, and it was unable to hold speed at 75mph in 6th gear going over an overpass. I should not have to downshift every mile to go over an overpass! RIDICULOUS!

I am one of those who is very happy with my supercharger. I am running a somewhat older, super stable (for my engine), and somewhat less powerful tune than most of y'all. I get around 350lb/ft of torque at 1800 RPM which allows me to keep my RPM low and cruise comfortably without downshifting constantly.

If you are happy with your jeep, why would you risk losing your warranty coverage from one of the worst manufacturers in the world!

Installing a supercharger can be very risky. I have had boosted vehicles live 200K miles, so I don't know about the concept that the boost alone will destroy your engine. Someone got unhappy because they had a bad experience and they are now trying to warn everyone off.
What tune are you running? I have found my truck runs best on Daves 121 tune. Have tried all the others, but this one is best overall. Smooth as butter, and great power all over.

SteveInOrlando

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Design
It was one he made custom for my truck when I first put the small pulley on. Ran smooth as butter. I tried 121, on my truck the surging at highway speed was intolerable and it just never felt stable pulling a hill. So I rolled back to the custom tune. I have tried 1 or 2 others, but they all have the same issues.

This one, I took all the way to redline full throttle pull with good stability and no detonation. When I had to take the family on vacation I rolled back to this stable one and haven't had any reason to test anything else since.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.