First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Jeep technician
You have to admit that adding four wheel drive to a station wagon and rebranding it as a "SUV" is brilliant marketing.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
You have to admit that adding four wheel drive to a station wagon and rebranding it as a "SUV" is brilliant marketing.
Madison Avenue execs knew how gullible Americans are and how they thrive on social status. SUVs were status. But to the media, they have been evil.

49Gramps

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired Fire & EMS Dispatcher
I had an LJ before, and apparently, I could not use those license plates or my EZ-Pass on my Gladiator, as the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission and EZ-Pass claim it's a truck.

Jeepasaurus_Rex

First Name
Mike🖤
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 KJ -- '21 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
I still call it a Juck. People hate that for some reason 😆

MattHamilton

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Support Analyst
In Ontario (Canada, not California), when I bought my Gladiator, I brought an old set of car plates and an old set of truck plates to Service Ontario to get assigned to the Glad. The guy at the counter didn't know which plates to apply, went to the supervisor lady, and she was adamant: if it has a bed, it's a truck! So I put on the truck plates that were originally assigned to my 1991 Nissan pickup (it wasn't called the Frontier then). The guys at the dealership couldn't believe how "stiff" the plates were compared to what is made today.

Sponsored

HankB

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport, Porsche Panamera 4S
Occupation
Retired
Most things called suv by marketing people are really all wheel drive station wagons that get hung up on small road kill. Joke to call most "SUVs" a suv. And many states license them as station wagons. Jeep never called the original Cherokee a suv.
SUVs whether made by GM, or Lamborghini , all Jeeps, and crossovers are in the eyes of Federal Regulators, trucks. No discussion this is by definition. The reason you can no longer buy a “station wagon” in the US (unless you want a Merc) is because it is an automobile. What’s the big deal? The details of the FMVSS standards (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) for trucks are less stringent than for automobiles. The big measure is the approach angle of the vehicle. The approach angle is basically the slope of a rise that vehicle can approach befoe the body drags. My Porsche with its 4” ground clearance and long nose has the approach angle of two sheets of paper, the Glad can drive up to a 12” log and drive over it without touching the front bumper. QED, the former is an automobile , the latter a truck. So is the wife’s SQ5 despite all the luxury BS. And since Canada‘s Provinces pretty much piggyback off of the US DOT, the same is probably true there as well.

From a cynical perspective it’s ”all about the Benjamins”. Trucks are not Necessary cheaper to build, but carry far less liability exposure. Look up the Willets, or Chrysler mini-van case. A minivan drove over a piece of truck that had fallen on the interstate, punctured the fuel tank and killed most of riders. Had the minivan been a truck the case would never have gotten as far as it did, and Chrysler would still have several hundred million still in their pockets.

ZoMojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTM (sold) '23 WL74
According to the state of Wisconsin, my JT is considered and licensed as a class C truck (same as the Ram 1500 I traded on it). Still scratching my head on that one.
Jeep Gladiator The Jeep Gladiator IS a CAR!! 1678982324146

As far as station wagons, the only vehicle I think of today is a Subaru Outback.
Jeep Gladiator The Jeep Gladiator IS a CAR!! 1678982396103

HankB

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport, Porsche Panamera 4S
Occupation
Retired
I hadn't thought of the Subaru, but it definitely is a wagon. Audi and Volvo make them, although I don't think they import it to the US.

Chunky White

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Industrial Electrician
Yes, Gladiator is. But for the jokes called SUVs.....those are stationwagons. JT is a truck with a bed and registered as a truck in IA. In fact my Chevy truck plates transferred from my Silverado to my jt back in 2019.
You have truck plates in your state? In Tennessee you can transfer tags from any vehicle to another. I had the same tag on probably twenty vehicles until they changed the state tag last year

Rocksalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
not labeled " station wagonsl" in Illinois.. simply labeled "wagons", Not sure about what they are called in Iowa

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
not labeled " station wagonsl" in Illinois.. simply labeled "wagons", Not sure about what they are called in Iowa
"Station wagon". The 1984 Eagle wagon was registered as "station wagon", my 1980 Eagle was a station wagon, our 90s Cherokee was a station wagon, and our last Grand Cherokee (WK2) was a station wagon. Unless it's a truck or sedan, it's generally a station wagon if it's called an "SUV" by the media.
Wagon would be short for station wagon. Few use the full term, few ever did. Dad's 64 Rambler Classic 770 station wagon would have simply been referred to as a "64 wagon".
Same thing. Wagon is just shorter. It originated from the wagons used for transport before cars - take the wagon to town to pick up supplies. (horse drawn). Then there were wagons used to transport people to or from a station (as train station) - room for people and luggage.
Along came cars and the backs were hacked to add room for luggage and the station wagon car was born. So the term was originally a car with space for luggage in the back, used to haul people to and from stations.

Found a formal definition better than just typing from my own idea or definition of what they are -
a car with a longer body than usual, incorporating a large carrying area behind the seats and having an extra door at the rear for easy loading.

So a so-called SUV (such as the Traverse, Escape, the various Lexus "SUVs" and so on) are really more station wagons that are modern all wheel drive cars than anything else. They'd get hung up on a pavement crack in some states. Crap for ground clearance, no real articulation, whatever, don't take them where you take your Jeep JL or JT. SUV is a joke. Glorified station wagon with all wheel drive and a higher roof line (and even that doesn't follow in all cases)

Seriously, Eagle wagons had a lot more ground clearance than today's "SUV" and could go just as well.

Jeep Gladiator The Jeep Gladiator IS a CAR!! 1679062416129

- look at the clearance under my car - then compare it to the "SUV" in traffic in front of you. I've got double the clearance of many....SUV my butt......

Jeep Gladiator The Jeep Gladiator IS a CAR!! 1679062579437

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
"Station wagon". The 1984 Eagle wagon was registered as "station wagon", my 1980 Eagle was a station wagon, our 90s Cherokee was a station wagon, and our last Grand Cherokee (WK2) was a station wagon. Unless it's a truck or sedan, it's generally a station wagon if it's called an "SUV" by the media.
Wagon would be short for station wagon. Few use the full term, few ever did. Dad's 64 Rambler Classic 770 station wagon would have simply been referred to as a "64 wagon".
Same thing. Wagon is just shorter. It originated from the wagons used for transport before cars - take the wagon to town to pick up supplies. (horse drawn). Then there were wagons used to transport people to or from a station (as train station) - room for people and luggage.
Along came cars and the backs were hacked to add room for luggage and the station wagon car was born. So the term was originally a car with space for luggage in the back, used to haul people to and from stations.

Found a formal definition better than just typing from my own idea or definition of what they are -
a car with a longer body than usual, incorporating a large carrying area behind the seats and having an extra door at the rear for easy loading.

So a so-called SUV (such as the Traverse, Escape, the various Lexus "SUVs" and so on) are really more station wagons that are modern all wheel drive cars than anything else. They'd get hung up on a pavement crack in some states. Crap for ground clearance, no real articulation, whatever, don't take them where you take your Jeep JL or JT. SUV is a joke. Glorified station wagon with all wheel drive and a higher roof line (and even that doesn't follow in all cases)

Seriously, Eagle wagons had a lot more ground clearance than today's "SUV" and could go just as well.

- look at the clearance under my car - then compare it to the "SUV" in traffic in front of you. I've got double the clearance of many....SUV my butt......

Awesome ride ^.

Rocksalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport

yep
yep the Eagle was ahead of its time... truly uniique

49Gramps

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired Fire & EMS Dispatcher
My YJ, KJ, and LJ were all classed by DMV as "WAGON", as were our 2 Outbacks. Our Forester is simply classed "Passenger".
Sponsored