Vehicle(s)
2021 Diesel Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cybersecurity - Cyber Intelligence
Vehicle Showcase
** Edited the guide 3/10.

For those wondering about a template/stencil, I figured I would share my experience and process the best I can. It was a little trial and error (a v1 and v2 and v3) but ultimately I ended up with a great stencil that worked well for me. This should save you a lot of hours (I spent almost 12hrs trying to perfect) and a bit of sanity. It's detailed but that's because I wanted to dumb it down and remove any ambiguity. If something doesn't make sense feel free to ask and I'll update as necessary. For what it's worth, there are several corners you could cut on this to shorten the time, but I wanted to be 100% sure everything was lined up and tried hard to remove any pain points that could introduce error.

Two options now: Option one, download the PDF template and take it to a shop that can print it out

Option 1:
Download the 44inch badge.pdf template and take it to a printing place that can print the PDF out as one banner. Put that on a piece of cardboard and trace it out, then cut out each letter. You should have a piece of cardboard with all the letters cut out so that you can stick the badge letters into them. All you'll need to do is make sure the top of the cardboard stencil has a perfectly level top matching the letters. That way you can put the cardboard up on the tailgate and level it out. Then, just start sticking the letters in!

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...139727/?hash=53db9afb24b2799f724df3c8476879ca

Option 2:
Supplies needed:
1) Painters tape
2) X-acto knife with a new blade
3) GOOD, STIFF, RIGID, STURDY cardboard that you can cut out a 53" x 12" section. You want the section cut from one whole side section, not something like a side and flap that add up to 53". Skip that side/flap combo because the has a crease and the crease isn't rigid.
4) Tape measure
5) Pen or pencil
6) A level - 4FT level is ideal but smaller will do. You will need to draw a 48" STRAIGHT line that has been leveled out.

Steps:

1) Start with cutting a section of cardboard 53" L x 11" high. It is important to get the lines and cuts straight here, so make sure the measurements are good and lines are straight. The indented area of the tail gate is 53" wide (edge to edge) by 8.75" tall. Later you will be trimming that 11" height down to 8.75". I found that having a piece of cardboard fit into this section really helped with lining everything up.

2) Take your piece of cardboard and place it on a wall, use a level to make sure it's level. On the left side of the cardboard make a mark .5" front the top. Move to the center of the cardboard (26.5") and make another mark .5" from top, then move to the right side of the cardboard and repeat. Now, use your 4ft level and place it over top of the three marks.

3) Use the level to draw a straight line through all three marks (the entire 53" width). Confirm with the level the line you just drew is LEVEL. Take down the cardboard and use the Xacto knife to cut along the line and trim off the .5" section. Congrats, you now have a flat/straight top for reference.

4) Now to trim off the remainder of the bottom to leave you with the 8.75" width. Put the cardboard back on the wall. Before you tape it up use your level to confirm it is 100% level! This is important as you need the bottom to be as level as the top. You will again make three markings left, center and right) but this time use the tape measure from the top and measure down 8.75". You should now have 3 marks at the bottom of the cardboard, all measuring 8.75" from the top.

5) Follow the same procedure as in step 3. If the line is level... ya screwed up. Stop drinking, put your glasses on and repeat back at step 1! If the line is level take the cardboard down and cut along the line. You'll be left with a 53" L x 8.75" H piece of cardboard.

6) For this step you can leave the cardboard off the wall (I chose to leave it up to make sure the line was level). The line you draw next is the top reference point for the letters. That is, the top of each letter will sit on this line. Using your tape make make another mark on the left, center and right 2.55" down from the top. Use the level to draw a straight line across the 53" length.

***NOTE: You can play with this 2.55" depth later on once the stencil is cut. This 2.55" SHOULD be just enough to cover both holes on the tailgate, If it doesn't there will be an opportunity I will call out in a later step to very easily bring the entire badge down closer to the camera, and to cover the holes.

7) Next is to mark the left and right outer edges of the badge. The length of the badge with .5" spacing measures a perfect 44" (that wasn't an accident). Make a mark 4.5" in from the left and right sides along the line you just drew in step 6. Go to the bottom of the cardboard and again make marks 4.5" in on the left and right. Use your level and draw a vertical line between the top and bottom points on the left and right sides. This now gives you the left and right borders.

At this point you have created a giant 53" L x 8.75" H square that should fit nicely within the indented section of the tailgate. You have marked the top line that all the letters will bump up against and marked the left/right outer boarders that the badge should sit within. Now the fun begins.

8) Put the G down on the cardboard. Butt the left side of the G to the left boarder line from step 7, and also butt the top of the G to the line drawn in step 6. Now tape it in place.

9) Put the .5" back space piece flush along the right side of the G, then place the L letter up flush against the spacing, and also line it up flush to the top line. Tape the L down once you have it snug in place (I went tape crazy here FYI). You should now have the G and L taped to the board with the tops of both letters lined up with the top line and .5" spacing between them. Repeat this process over and over until you finish.

***NOTE: After you add each letter I took the level and made sure that the tops were flush with the level. Just extra pre-cautions.

You SHOULD have the entire badge taped in place at this point with .5" spacing between each letter and the word should fit perfectly between your left and right vertical lines giving you an overall 44" length badge. If you don't, I probably F*^*&Ked up the instructions, so feel from to reach out and ask Whiskey Tango Foxtrot. I'll figure it out, apologize, and send you on your merry way with the right info!

10) Use a pen to trace around the BOTTOM HALF of each letter. You do not need to trace the top half.

***NOTE: You are not worrying about tracing the insides of any letters (i.e. inside of the O or the A). The object of this trace is just to get the outside area of each letter.

11) Using your X-acto knife, with the letters still taped on, run the knife over the lines you just drew. You will start slicing through tape and that is fine. Just make sure to put more tape back down after you cut threw it. You need to make sure all the letters stay on the cardboard.

***NOTE: Don't bother trying to run the knife all the way through the cardboard. You will need to make several passes with the knife to get through the cardboard so you're aim here is to get the first cut into the cardboard with the letters up. After you've gone through all the letters, you will take down the letters and do deeper cuts.

12) After you have ran the knife through the lines with the letters up you can now remove the letters and finish the cuts.

13) With the letter cuts down, you will now cut out the entire middle portion of the stencil. You will make two cuts. Purple Lines: Run the knife down the left and right vertical outer boarder lines. Start from the top line the letters butt up against and run the knife down the sides of the G and R. Blue Line: Next you will run a horizontal cut that intersects through the bottom of the As and O. After making these cuts you should be able to remove the entire center section.

Purple and Blue lines to cut:
Jeep Gladiator The last Gladiator Tailgate Badge You Will Ever Need! E07FDDC9-8A12-4D3F-BB10-8B2058D2FB00_4_5005_c

Your finished stencil:
Jeep Gladiator The last Gladiator Tailgate Badge You Will Ever Need! 7FD0805C-6BDE-42CE-A960-B54FA62B47C4

14) The final step involves making a cutout for the camera. That way your stencil will fit flush on the tailgate. Measure in from the top 26.5", this is your center point. Then measure down 6 1/8". This is the top of the camera. Cut a horizontal line about 2" wide (1" to left and right of the 26.5" middle mark). Then just cut down a few inches (3" is enough) on the left and right. Finish it off by cutting a bottom line and remove the square section. The length you cut down left and right is not important, nor do they need to be perfectly straight.

15) You should now have a functional stencil. Place it on the tailgate, tape it up with plenty of tape then put the letters up (LEAVE THE BACKING ON) and see how they look. If the letters are sitting too high and not fully covering the holes in the tailgate go back to step 14 and trim out a little more from the top of the camera square cutout. The aim is to trim tiny bits out so that you bring the entire stencil lower on the tailgate, which will bring the badge down enough to fully cover the holes.

16) At this point I would advise you take some measurements to make sure everything is squared. With the stencil taped up and the letters still up, make sure the tops of the letters are all level and the distance from each letter and the top ridge of the indent is the same. Also check that the distance from the left and right sides is equal. If you make any adjustments make sure you double check that the letters are still level and still covering the tailgate holes.

Jeep Gladiator The last Gladiator Tailgate Badge You Will Ever Need! 65C0A1B4-03BD-4707-831D-8F8F41EA99A8

17) You're now cleared to start removing the backing from each letter and sticking them in. My preference is to leave all the letters sitting in the stencil and only take out the one you are peeling the backing off of. It will be easier to make sure you are sticking it up perfect if you have a letter to the left and right to reference.

Good Luck!

***Disclaimer*** My pics of stencil and mounting below will look different than yours. I cut my cardboard to 46” wide as opposed to 53” wide. 46” will work and leaves you with a 1” spacing on each side. Looking back the 53” full width of cardboard would have been easier since you can line it up left/right and top/bottom. I also put my letters on backwards/facedown because I was worried about cutting them up. I discover the tracing and knife cutting wasn’t as precise this way, hence my recommendation to lay the lettering down normal (face up left to right).

Jeep Gladiator The last Gladiator Tailgate Badge You Will Ever Need! 8D00A043-966C-433F-B2C6-9B096E2B5CEC

Jeep Gladiator The last Gladiator Tailgate Badge You Will Ever Need! D0484ADF-7E72-4D01-A68B-E3397E052858
Sponsored

Attachments

Last edited:

HouseOfWolves

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
Can they do orange for us Mojave guys?
✌

You Mojave guys will get what you get! :)

All kidding aside -- my youngest son's favorite color is orange -- he was slightly disappointed that we went with a Rubicon instead -- given the choice.

SuburbanGP88

First Name
Willy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Retired
I think the bandit mask would look great on my white JT.

Jonny A

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Bridge Construction and Maintenance
For those wondering about a template/stencil, I figured I would share my experience and process the best I can. It was a little trial and error (a v1 and v2 and v3) but ultimately I ended up with a great stencil that worked well for me. This should save you a lot of hours (I spent almost 12hrs trying to perfect) and a bit of sanity. It's detailed but that's because I wanted to dumb it down and remove an ambiguity. If something doesn't make sense feel free to ask and I'll update as necessary. For what it's worth, there are several corners you could cut on this to shorten the time, but I wanted to be 100% sure everything was lined up and tried hard to remove any points to introduce error.

Supplies needed:
1) Painters tape
2) X-acto knife with a new and sharp blade
3) GOOD, STIFF, RIGID, STURDY cardboard that you can cut out a 53" x 12" section. You want the section cut from one whole side section, not something like a side and flap that add up to 53". Skip that because the flap has a crease and the crease isn't rigid.
4) Tape measure
5) Pen or pencil
6) A level - 4FT level is ideal but smaller will do. You will need to draw a 48" STRAIGHT line that has been leveled out.

Steps:

1) Start with cutting a section of cardboard by 53" L x 11" high. It is important to get the lines and cuts straight here, so make sure the measurements are good and lines are straight. The indented area of the tail gate is 53" wide (edge to edge) by 8.75" tall. Later you will be trimming that 10" height down to 8.75". I found that having a piece of cardboard fit into this section really help lining everything up.

2) Take your piece of cardboard and place it on a wall, use a level to make sure it's level. On the left side of the cardboard make a mark .5" front the top. Move to the center of the cardboard (26.5") and make another mark .5" from top, then move to the right side of the cardboard and repeat. Now, use your 4ft level and place it over top of the three marks.

3) Use the level to draw a straight line through all three marks (the entire 53" width). Then take down the cardboard down and use the Xacto knife to cut along the line and trim the .5" section off the top. Congrats, you now have a flat/straight top.

4) Now to trim off the remainder of the bottom to leave you with the 8.75" width. Put the cardboard back on the wall. Before you tape it up use your level to confirm it is 100% level! This is important as you need the bottom to be as level as the top. You will again make three markings left, center and right) but this time use the tape measure from the top and measure down 8.75". You should now have 3 marks at the bottom of the board all measuring 8.75" from the top.

5) Put the level over top of the three lines. At this point you should be able to drawn a line through the 3 marks and see that the line is level without any adjustments. If the line is level... ya screwed up. Stop drinking, put your glasses on and repeat back at step 1! If the line is level take the card board down and cut along the line. You should have a 53" L x 8.75" H piece of cardboard.

6) For this step you can leave the cardboard off the wall. The line you will draw next is the top reference point for the letters. That is, the top of each letter will sit on this line. Using your tape make make another mark on the left, center and right 2.55" down from the top. Use the level to draw a straight line across the 53" length.
***NOTE - You can play with this 2.55" depth later on once the stencil is cut. This 2.55" SHOULD be just enough to cover both holes on the tailgate, If it doesn't there will be an opportunity I will call out in a later step to very easily bring the entire badge down to cover the holes.

7) Now you need to mark the left and right edges of the badge. The length of the badge with .5" spacing measures a perfect 44" (that wasn't an accident). Make a mark 4.5" in from the left and right sides along the line you just drew in step 6. Go to the bottom of the cardboard and again make marks 4.5" in on the left and right. Use your level and draw a vertical line between the top and bottom points on the left and right sides. This now gives you the left and right borders.

At this point you have created a giant square that should fit nicely within the indented section of the tailgate. You have marked the top line that all the letters will bump up against and marked the left/right boarders that the badge should sit within. Now the fun begins.

8) Put the G down on the cardboard. But the left side of the G to the left line 4.5" from step 7 and the top of the G to the line drawn in step 6. Now tape it in place.

9) Put the .5" back space piece flush along the right side of the G, then slide the L letter up flush against the spacing, and also line it up flush to the top line. Tape the L down once you have it snug in place (I went tape crazy here FYI). You should now have the G and L taped to the board with the tops of both letters lined up with the top line and .5" spacing between them. Repeat this process over and over until you finish.

You SHOULD have the entire badge taped in place at this point with .5" spacing between each letter and the word should fit perfectly between your left and right vertical lines giving you an overall 44" length badge. If you don't, I probably F*^*&Ked up the instructions, so feel from to reach out and ask Whiskey Tango Foxtrot. I'll figure it out, apologize, and send you on your merry way with the right info!

10) Use a fine tipped pen to trace around the BOTTOM HALF of each letter. You do not need to trace the top half.

11) Using your X-acto knife, with the letters still taped up, you can now run the knife over the lines you just drew. At this point you will probably start slicing through tape and that is fine. Just make sure to put more tape back down. You need to make sure all the letters stay on the cardboard. Don't bother trying to run the knife all the way through the cardboard. You will need to make. several passes with the knife to get through the cardboard so you're aim here is to get the first into the cardboard with the letters up.
***NOTE: You are not worrying about tracing the insides of any letters. The object of this trace is just to get the an area that each letter will sit in. That way you can sit the letter into the cardboard THEN press it up to the tailgate.

12) After you have ran the knife through the lines with the letters up you can now remove the letters and finish the cuts.

13) Run the knife through the left and right vertical lines and the top line. You should now have a giant section cut out that looks something like what you see in my pictures below.

14) The final step involves making a cutout for the camera. That way your stencil will fit flush on the tailgate. Measure in from the top 26.5", this is your center point. Then measure down 6 1/8". Cut a horizontal line 2" wide (1" to left and right of the 26.5" middle mark). Then just cut down a few inches (3" is enough) on the left and right. Finish it off by cutting a bottom line and remove the square section.

15) You should now have a functional stencil. Place it on the tailgate, tape it up with plenty of tape then put the letters up and see how they look. If the letters are not fully covering the holes in the tailgate go back to step 14 and trim out a little more from the top of the camera square. The aim is to trim tiny bits so that you bring the badge down enough to fully cover the holes.

16) At this point I would advise you take some measurements to make sure everything is squared. With the stencil taped up and the letters in there make sure the tops of the letters are all level and the distance from each letter and the top ridge of the indent is the same. Also check that the distance from the left and right sides is equal. If you made any adjustments make sure you double check that the letter are still level and still covering the tailgate holes.

17) You're now cleared to start removing the backing from each letter and taping them in. My preference is to leave all the letters sitting in the stencil and only take out the one you are peeling the backing off of. It will be easier to make sure you are sticking it up perfect if you have a letter to the left and right to reference.

Good Luck!
That is one good looking tail gate. I would like if I could do a simple tailgate swap and a little cash. If I did it on my own own, I know one letter would be off by 1/64th of an inch, and I would never be able to unsee it. You know... no good deed goes unpunished!

Awesome job dude.

Sponsored

Snzzbry_Ovrlnd

First Name
Lin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Army
Vehicle Showcase
Ladies and Gentlemen, boys and girls... What you see here is a genuine "Damn, why didn't Jeep do this?" moment!

After hounding several companies for months on end trying to get a two layer/dual color “Gladiator” badge for the tailgate, I finally got one made! I couldn’t be more happy with the end result. I wanted a red/dark grey color scheme that matched the stock Jeep rubicon lettering and think I nailed it. I thought other kits (i.e. Hauk Offroad) were too small, so I wanted mine bigger. We went back and forth for a week working out the proper size for the outer letters (G-R) and all the inside lettering, spacing between the letters, and even several mock up printouts to confirm what variant and placement fit best and looked the most "stock".

The lettering is made from acrylic, and is laser cut with 3M adhesive for the backing. MADE here in the good ol' USA! I did have to make my own stencil kit, but that wasn't hard, just time consuming. I had the shop print out a spacer at the specified size so that each letter had the proper spacing. I lined up the letters on a piece of thick cardboard, taped them down, then used an X-acto knife to cut around them.

For those that don't want vinyl wrap on the tailgate like I did... The cool part is I worked out the measurements so that the holes from the original Jeep badge are covered by the new badge.

*** Edit: The purchase link is live! There are 3 options for $98 each: Rubicon, Mojave or Black/Red. Any other custom color combo is $118 due to the time involved.

https://limitlessparts.com/products...e-lettering-dual-color?variant=39258389348413

Jeep Gladiator The last Gladiator Tailgate Badge You Will Ever Need! D0484ADF-7E72-4D01-A68B-E3397E052858
I have a Snazzberry colored JT. I went to the website to order a custom badge but I didn't see any place to put the colors I wanted. Since it is probably a color they don't have on hand, I was going to go with the gloss black with a matte black border. If they had MOPAR paint color code PRV (Octane Red or Snazzberry Pearl), I would prefer that with a black matte or shiny border. Did I stop the order too quickly?

FloridaMan655321

First Name
Lieutenant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 1973 F-100 - both manual
Occupation
Lieutenant (not really)
I think this looks great. With this said, now way am I attempting it ;)
Will keep an eye out for ones in the wild. I'd love to see a Mo'Jave one in the wild one day.

OP
OP
tampahoosier

tampahoosier

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Do they also sell the black stripe that goes across tailgate?
That’s a vinyl wrap I did. You can grab the stuff from Amazon. It is 3M - 2080 Matte Deep Black. Very easy to do with some knifeless tape, cheap vinyl squeegee and YouTube.

OP
OP
tampahoosier

tampahoosier

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I have a Snazzberry colored JT. I went to the website to order a custom badge but I didn't see any place to put the colors I wanted. Since it is probably a color they don't have on hand, I was going to go with the gloss black with a matte black border. If they had MOPAR paint color code PRV (Octane Red or Snazzberry Pearl), I would prefer that with a black matte or shiny border. Did I stop the order too quickly?
Yes you did lol, you just have to click the custom color button and check out with that, but email him before hand and let him know. Then you can work with him on getting the color combo you want. From my understanding his orders have picked up significantly since I posted this on FB and here yesterday. If you don’t get an immediate response just be a bit patient.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tampahoosier

tampahoosier

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Here’s another

18A72724-22CA-4049-9CAD-220B242E2EE9.png
I reached out when they originally posted this because I liked theirs as well. They are still early on trying to work out some details. Also a great looking product though!

Sponsored

OP
OP
tampahoosier

tampahoosier

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
@OP, these look to be next level! :like::rock:
Thanks man, appreciate the comment. Always good to here them!

That is one good looking tail gate. I would like if I could do a simple tailgate swap and a little cash. If I did it on my own own, I know one letter would be off by 1/64th of an inch, and I would never be able to unsee it. You know... no good deed goes unpunished!

Awesome job dude.
LOL I know it, hence why I was overly detailed on the tailgate write up! It was probably a bit overkill but I couldn’t stand the thought of seeing something even slightly out of whack. If you lived local to Tamp, FL we could probably work something out. Or I could help you do the vinyl and lettering.

Last edited:

SuburbanGP88

First Name
Willy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Retired

Snzzbry_Ovrlnd

First Name
Lin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Army
Vehicle Showcase
Yes you did lol, you just have to click the custom color button and check out with that, but email him before hand and let him know. Then you can work with him on getting the color combo you want. From my understanding his orders have picked up significantly since I posted this on FB and here yesterday. If you don’t get an immediate response just be a bit patient.
I emailed him first thing this morning.

jlc64uk

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Rubicon; 21 Ford Explorer
Occupation
Asst. Principal
Jeep should do like Ford and Chevy and stamp the tailgate and then you could add colors as you choose.
Sponsored