First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Self Employed
Just saw an M1101 trailer for sale. Too heavy to convert for over landing? Just curious what everyone thinks.
Jeep Gladiator The M1101 too heavy or no 0EEE1266-F785-4B6E-B159-5818F7462D40
Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1400 lbs empty seems ridiculous considering the gross weight is between 3400 lbs and 4200 lbs.

I'm sure they are tough as nails. But do you 1) want to haul that much weight around? 2) actually need that toughness?

OP
OP
The White Rabbit

The White Rabbit

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self Employed
1400 lbs empty seems ridiculous considering the gross weight is between 3400 lbs and 4200 lbs.

I'm sure they are tough as nails. But do you 1) want to haul that much weight around? 2) actually need that toughness?
Weight is of course my concern not interested in over taxing my gladiator. Thanks

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
There is a bunch of weight that can be shed on those.

Get that unneeded hitch off that tongue and get a standard 2" hitch on it.
Lose the wheels and tires and get into a lightweight alloy with tires that are much lighter.

I know part of the allure is the beefy, macho, military look. But those trailers can be utilized and lightened up.

OP
OP
The White Rabbit

The White Rabbit

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self Employed
There is a bunch of weight that can be shed on those.

Get that unneeded hitch off that tongue and get a standard 2" hitch on it.
Lose the wheels and tires and get into a lightweight alloy with tires that are much lighter.

I know part of the allure is the beefy, macho, military look. But those trailers can be utilized and lightened up.
Exactly what I was considering.

Sponsored

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
Silver Eagle makes them in aluminum for air deployement and they also offer one in a J8 scale but I've never seen them in the wild.

https://www.silvereaglemfg.com/l-watts/

The M1100 and M1101 are designed to trail an HMMWV and so shares wheels and shocks and lighting etc. Sharing similar OA width, trail width and ground clearence they can look a little goofy behind a jeep, last outing I dropped one on my hitch just to see and it looked too mucho, not bad but pulling it off pavement would stress me out quick.

The L-Watts is much friendlier to a jeep/gladiator scale vehicle.

Radio Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Broadcast Engineer
If you want something lightweight and are going to make it into an overlanding camping thing, here is something a friend of mine makes. Its already a camping tent trailer and very light weight at under 500lbs. I've seen these in person and they are really well made. These were designed with ATV/UTV camping in mind and It would probably disappear behind a Gladiator. I'm tempted to get one for those places I can't take my 16ft. BTW the company has been in business since 1967 making aerospace products and their quality is first class plus the owner is a Jeep guy.

http://www.hi-standardoutfitters.co...tical-off-road-overlander-camper-for-atv-utv/

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Exactly what I was considering.
The problem then is by that point, how much cash are you into it for?

Could you buy a middle duty trailer for less?

I have a lightweight STS trailer. Its rated to 2500 lbs and weighs about 350 lbs. The tub is aluminum and the frame is a galvanized steel. As are the wheels. Its a great trailer for MY needs.

I did upgrade to a 3500 lb axle when I had them build it and have hauled 1.5 tons of gravel home from the local sand pit in it with no problems. Both the trailer and my wife's Volvo do fine with about a 3500 lb total load. (Her car's US tow rating is 3000 lbs. In Europe its 1750 kg, or 3850 lbs)

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
I spent plenty of miles pulling those behind my M998 or my LMTV. But yeah, they're pigs that need a diet for JT usage.

Sponsored

OP
OP
The White Rabbit

The White Rabbit

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self Employed
I spent plenty of miles pulling those behind my M998 or my LMTV. But yeah, they're pigs that need a diet for JT usage.
Exaggerating information I was looking for. I didn’t buy it before asking so I’ll move on with my money. My budget is tight so back to the search.
Thanks

OP
OP
The White Rabbit

The White Rabbit

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self Employed
Exaggerating information I was looking for. I didn’t buy it before asking so I’ll move on with my money. My budget is tight so back to the search.
Thanks
Exactly not exaggerating good lord🤦‍♂️

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
I like that little ghost trailer. I wonder if they would build you one without axles, then supply your own with correct hub to carry jk/jl/jt wheels and tires to match the rig as a quick source of spares in a jam.

That said, depending on your desires and capabilities you could knock your own trailer together pretty easily and quickly to meet your specific needs. Ultimately track width is very important so it follows you correctly off road and isn't a highway lane wide.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Weight is of course my concern not interested in over taxing my gladiator. Thanks
I tend to agree with others that while it would look great, by the time you scale it down to be reasonable to tow, you’d be in it for quite a bit of cash. We have the Smittybilt Scout, which has been amazing. 12”+ of clearance with independent A arms, four shocks, limiting straps, Jeep fenders, and so much more. The tent or gear rack has an 800lb capacity and it has a rear 2” receiver for bike racks and other accessories. 3,300lbs if it’s fully loaded. We’ve never had it past 3k. Rear slide outs take 200lbs each while extended. It’s truly ready to go for a very small price tag. I think it’s on approximately 32” tires, and it includes a spare. We tow it up some crazy roads and it’s easy with the gladiator.

Radio Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Broadcast Engineer
I like that little ghost trailer. I wonder if they would build you one without axles, then supply your own with correct hub to carry jk/jl/jt wheels and tires to match the rig as a quick source of spares in a jam.

That said, depending on your desires and capabilities you could knock your own trailer together pretty easily and quickly to meet your specific needs. Ultimately track width is very important so it follows you correctly off road and isn't a highway lane wide.
The owner of the company is Joe, give him a call and see if he'll put a Jeep compatible axle on one or ship without an axle.
Sponsored