Sponsored

Thieves Use Proximity Key Fob Relays to Gain Access.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
yet the business case is usability and idiots losing fobs so there needs to be a way to add keys.
In my case - my father was killed while by his Ranger. He had his Grand Cherokee fob in his pocket.
The impact - well, my brother tried to clear the "body fluids" from the Jeep's fob, but it was just too badly damaged. The Jeep was at home safe in his garage. I was able to get that fob working well enough by some fine surgery on the board to get the Jeep going and added other fobs to it (and ended up buying the GC from his estate)
It was really frustrating when I jeep dealer's shop told me it wasn't possible to add fobs to a Jeep - he said they could only work with the supplied fobs.
I went to a local safe and lock company and he said "do you have 5 minutes?"

There are times where circumstances make it necessary, otherwise a vehicle could be totally unusable through no fault of the owner or driver.
Sponsored

f33d

First Name
Maxwell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer
well depends on the situation. most crimes like this are very targeted. technology is noramlly not so easy to match different manufacters implementaton, so its specifc to that radio and ive seen tests like this fail cause of slight changes. while im sure you have speed, i bet you wouldnt even know whats happening till you see the taillights.
Except I will. Dogs, gate and security cameras.

Deleted member 47279

1. Sorry bout your dad man.
2. i think being able to drive without a FOB is stupid. not anything else.
3. ive lost several keys over the years so im an idiot and totatly see the use case for adding keys.
4. key security has been on hackers radars for a long time. capturing a few packets with the proper setup and you can "emulate" a FOB due to a improper authorization setup. i mean i heard of rolling codes on well-known algorithms.

5. replay attacks can easily be stopped by that faraday bag as mentioned before.

cuellar13

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 RAM, 2021 Bronco Big Bend, 1966 GMC Stepside
Occupation
Director of Recruitment for Pharma/Biotech/Device Consulting Firm
In my experience, it doesn't take a lot to block the signals. They aren't overly powerful. But for a 50K vehicle, more is better!
We live in a rural area. We can see all around us for the most part, any vehicle acting strangely around here gets photographed or a video made, and/or I walk out the door and approach. Done that every since we got up one morning and all of the Christmas display I had in the front yard 20' from the big front window was GONE.
Otherwise, it's been pretty quiet around here. The only break-ins were years ago, and they were targeting guns.
Yeah, that's why I prefer our rural property in N FL to this location. I can see all around us. Every weekend, summer, and holidays, thugs load up in cars and come to our local neighborhoods to steal cars, or anything out of them. They got in and out of my father's Tahoe in about 10 seconds at the end of our driveway, the day after Christmas 2020.

Sponsored

Deleted member 47279

Yeah, that's why I prefer our rural property in N FL to this location. I can see all around us. Every weekend, summer, and holidays, thugs load up in cars and come to our local neighborhoods to steal cars, or anything out of them. They got in and out of my father's Tahoe in about 10 seconds at the end of our driveway, the day after Christmas 2020.
I remember a story of all the guns that got stolen out of cars in panama city cause they didnt lock the doors lol

OP
OP
Lunentucker

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
Sounds like a standard replay attack. but seriously my FOB must be in close ass range to start. im sure its a threat, but doors are normally off anyways and i have to be close by. its a risk, but idk if its that high.
If I am not mistaken the thief with the receiver / repeater at the vehicle would be perceived as having a valid fob in hand, so if he's in the car with the device then the car thinks he has the fob on him. The devices essentially create a wireless bridge between the fob and the vehicle.

cuellar13

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 RAM, 2021 Bronco Big Bend, 1966 GMC Stepside
Occupation
Director of Recruitment for Pharma/Biotech/Device Consulting Firm
I remember a story of all the guns that got stolen out of cars in panama city cause they didnt lock the doors lol
That sounds about right, too. lol

Deleted member 47279

If I am not mistaken the thief with the receiver / repeater at the vehicle would be perceived as having a valid fob in hand, so if he's in the car with the device then the car thinks he has the fob on him. The devices essentially create a wireless bridge between the fob and the vehicle.
pretty much. need another factor to mitigate, but im not rigging up a kill switch lol

Sponsored

Deleted member 47279

Except I will. Dogs, gate and security cameras.
by all means brah. im sure you got it on lockdown. but criminals dont like to get hurt, so recon is important and if a target is safe at home, they will just wait till your not. its all about how badly they want it. risk vs reward. and avoiding a slug to the chest i worth waiting till you go to the gym lol

joeym7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, 2003 Cadalac STS
Occupation
Retired
I keep all of our fobs in a faraday box. Signal can't penetrate for them to repeat it. Here in the Tampa Bay Area (last year, I believe), there were 3 Jeeps (2 JLs and a JT) stolen simultaneously one night, in the same neighborhood, using repeaters. All within seconds of each other. Toll cameras picked up the plates just outside of Miami before morning traffic started, all driving together. Local news did a story on it. I bought a faraday box after reading the story. Cheap extra insurance. You can make your own, too.
Thanks for the idea, just ordered some on Amazon, very inexpensive, why not!

atxatxatx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WK2Grand Cherokee,Gladiator Mojave
I've been using faraday bags for a number of years, keys when at home are always stored in them, also have a bag that goes with me on road-trips.

"Mission darkness" is one brand that sold on amazon.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
My wife makes credit card size holders of fabric lined with an RF blocking material. She uses it for her cards - started making and using them for her travels to Europe but has been using them everywhere now because of people scanning the cards in your pockets.
I wonder how effective this could be for the fob............

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
I don't have prox locks so they can't open the doors with the repeater. If they broke the window and opened the door, I wonder if the ignition is able to be armed, since the security system went active. I'll have to test this. Windows down instead of breaking them of course ;)
Sponsored