Sponsored

Thieves Use Proximity Key Fob Relays to Gain Access.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I don't have prox locks so they can't open the doors with the repeater.
Actually, they can. They capture your button press, not the proximity bit. You press a button, they block the signal from being received by the truck and capture/save your button press. You press again, they capture and save press number 2 and send the code for your first button press to the truck - and unlock it.
Zip to do with proximity locks. It's all about pressing a button.
So if you press a button on your fob to unlock your truck - they've got you.
Doesn't matter if you have proximity locks. In fact, if you never press a fob button, there's little to capture.
In theory, proximity locks could be "safer".
Sponsored

OP
OP
Lunentucker

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
I think it's important to understand that these thefts don't just occur at home.
Thieves could easily watch valets, hotels, restaurants, shopping centers.
Thief #1 follows you or stays close enough to get the signal while thief #2 stands by your car in the lot.

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Thief #1 follows you or stays close enough t get the signal while thief #2 stands by your car in the lot.
And thus my comment about not unlocking unless I am AT the truck. Normally I use the passive entry, though........ no fob button press.
That truck stays locked until I am there touching or about to touch it, and I observe who is around me. Especially if my wife is with me.

OP
OP
Lunentucker

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
People Work?
No one has to press anything. The proximity fobs are always signaling and the vehicle is always listening. The repeaters simply fool the car into thinking that the fob is close by. If you have doors that automatically unlock on touch then they're in.

"Here's how it works: Each person carries a relay box, which can be purchased for as little as $20 online. The boxes can pick up the radio frequency from a car key fob that's sitting on a table inside, hung up on a key rack, or even resting in a purse. The relay boxes allow one person to stand near the home to pick up and amplify the key fob signal and then transmit it to the second box, which the other person holds outside the door of a car. Once the key fob signal reaches the second box, it unlocks the door, as the car thinks you're holding your key fob nearby. Now the criminals just have to drive away without getting caught and then change the locks."

https://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/security/a29835980/technology-theft-rfid-bluetooth/

https://www.wired.com/2017/04/just-pair-11-radio-gadgets-can-steal-car/

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
Actually, they can. They capture your button press, not the proximity bit. You press a button, they block the signal from being received by the truck and capture/save your button press. You press again, they capture and save press number 2 and send the code for your first button press to the truck - and unlock it.
Zip to do with proximity locks. It's all about pressing a button.
So if you press a button on your fob to unlock your truck - they've got you.
Doesn't matter if you have proximity locks. In fact, if you never press a fob button, there's little to capture.
In theory, proximity locks could be "safer".
Oh, I read they were capturing the prox signal, perhaps near your front door of your house, then repeating that at the car and taking off.

Back to the key I guess in sketch areas.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Lunentucker

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
People Work?
Oh, I read they were capturing the prox signal, perhaps near your front door of your house, then repeating that at the car and taking off.

Back to the key I guess in sketch areas.
That's exactly what they're doing. It's an active signal all of the time.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
No one has to press anything. The proximity fobs are always signaling and the vehicle is always listening. The repeaters simply fool the car into thinking that the fob is close by. If you have doors that automatically unlock on touch then they're in.

"Here's how it works: Each person carries a relay box, which can be purchased for as little as $20 online. The boxes can pick up the radio frequency from a car key fob that's sitting on a table inside, hung up on a key rack, or even resting in a purse. The relay boxes allow one person to stand near the home to pick up and amplify the key fob signal and then transmit it to the second box, which the other person holds outside the door of a car. Once the key fob signal reaches the second box, it unlocks the door, as the car thinks you're holding your key fob nearby. Now the criminals just have to drive away without getting caught and then change the locks."

https://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/security/a29835980/technology-theft-rfid-bluetooth/

That makes sense, so it doesn't matter whether or not you have passive entry, or you use the fob button - they've got it.
That's the relay system you are talking about, as opposed to capturing the signal and saving it.

So it doesn't matter -
With a standard "press fob button to unlock car" they capture the first unlock press while blocking the car from receiving it, they can use that first capture to get in. you press it again because the first time didn't work, they let that one pass, and now they have a capture they can use to run the car.
Otherwise, they catch the FOBs constant signal, amplify and relay it to another location to get in with passive entry.
The only way around it is manual locks, but wait - those can be foiled, too!

Like I said in an earlier post - if they want it, they'll get it.

OP
OP
Lunentucker

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
People Work?
That makes sense, so it doesn't matter whether or not you have passive entry, or you use the fob button - they've got it.
That's the relay system you are talking about, as opposed to capturing the signal and saving it.
BINGO!

Joe Gladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
at home i drop my fob in a small metal box with a lid so the signal cant get out. Here thefts at night one stands at the house door with laptop and antenna to get the RF signal they reprogram a new fob with it a away they go takes about 4mins they showed it on the news from a doorbell cam.

Sponsored

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
at home i drop my fob in a small metal box with a lid so the signal cant get out. Here thefts at night one stands at the house door with laptop and antenna to get the RF signal they reprogram a new fob with it a away they go takes about 4mins they showed it on the news from a doorbell cam.
That's the vector I think can be defeated by not having prox locks. While they can dupe the RF signal they can't dupe the fob keypress without prior capture. SO - if they break in the old fashioned way and the fob hasn't disarmed the BCM, the car will not start even with the real fob. I'll test that out.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I am SO glad I live where I do............. and that my wife is a stickler for "the garage doors shall always be closed unless you are actively driving out or in"

joeym7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, 2003 Cadalac STS
Occupation
Retired

Sounds like parking lots of all kinds would be their (most) lucrative prowling grounds...I suppose they can drive up and down neighborhood streets too though and hope for a signal. I keep my Mojave in the garage and disable the remote door capability at night just for good measure. My neighbor hood is very safe 99% of the time, but we have had a "rogue-wave" of a dirtbag every 7 years or so, so one has to take necessary steps anyway. So I'll be putting them in a F-box starting tomorrow when my gear shows up.

Deleted member 47279

Honestly it’s a risk, but I’d say gladiators aren’t that high on the list to jack. Maybe a tricked out one, but risk/reward I would get me some range rovers, g36 etc… gladiators are niche in that you gotta love the look. It’s very galvanizing with folks and not as sought after overseas.

joeym7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, 2003 Cadalac STS
Occupation
Retired
That video is an eye-opener btw...Just too easy...What a disgrace that some nitwit marketing person put this in their business case to start this crap throughput the industry. Tics me off a bit.
Sponsored