Sponsored

Thieves Use Proximity Key Fob Relays to Gain Access.

Deleted member 47279

Then you won't mind showing me your hat? A color picture, please? LOL

I actually enjoyed the work, especially with the state. I got invited into meetings over at central IT as I thought a lot differently than most of the others, and saw things differently. It's often a bad side of my little "malady" but in that work, it was a help. I think they sort of wanted me to move over there as central IT took over operations for most of the other agencies, to try to centralize things and cut costs, but I was ready to move on......... another feature of my stuff going on.
Then you won't mind showing me your hat? A color picture, please? LOL

I actually enjoyed the work, especially with the state. I got invited into meetings over at central IT as I thought a lot differently than most of the others, and saw things differently. It's often a bad side of my little "malady" but in that work, it was a help. I think they sort of wanted me to move over there as central IT took over operations for most of the other agencies, to try to centralize things and cut costs, but I was ready to move on......... another feature of my stuff going on.
Jeep Gladiator Thieves Use Proximity Key Fob Relays to Gain Access. 1652824050351
Sponsored

f33d

First Name
Maxwell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer
by all means brah. im sure you got it on lockdown. but criminals dont like to get hurt, so recon is important and if a target is safe at home, they will just wait till your not. its all about how badly they want it. risk vs reward. and avoiding a slug to the chest i worth waiting till you go to the gym lol
I work from home

Haha.

YOUR NOT GETTING MY TRUCK

Terry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Private Investigator
Vehicle Showcase
Not Gladiator specific, but worth knowing.

Thieves boost the key fob signal using two devices. A repeater near your home or person repeats the signal to the partner standing next to your car, enabling a proximity signal that unlocks the doors and allows the vehicle to be started and driven.
Tow companies used what some called "swizzle sticks" to determine correct codes to open garages, yet my wallet will prevent electronic intrusion and copying of my card information. There are similar devices that can protect your key fob; i.e., TICONN Faraday Bag and Samfolk Faraday Boxes. Go on the web, they are there and are easy and safe to use.

Sponsored

BrentMG

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Service Member
I keep all of our fobs in a faraday box. Signal can't penetrate for them to repeat it. Here in the Tampa Bay Area (last year, I believe), there were 3 Jeeps (2 JLs and a JT) stolen simultaneously one night, in the same neighborhood, using repeaters. All within seconds of each other. Toll cameras picked up the plates just outside of Miami before morning traffic started, all driving together. Local news did a story on it. I bought a faraday box after reading the story. Cheap extra insurance. You can make your own, too.
They can still access your stuff when you are pressing your lock unlock buttons. A lot of the times that is when they're getting your "data," if you will.

I attended a surveillance/counter surveillance course late last year. They covered how thieves can get in your vehicles without the FOBs or keys and take off. They didn't get into too much of a detailed demo due to the fact they were using rentals, but it is pretty shocking what some people are capable of. I believe the head instructor stated he could pretty much have the vehicle running and taking off by the second beep of the horn on the alarm on most vehicles.

They were using rentals because it was a mobile training thing here where I'm stationed. Before anyone asks.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Tow companies used what some called "swizzle sticks" to determine correct codes to open garages, yet my wallet will prevent electronic intrusion and copying of my card information. There are similar devices that can protect your key fob; i.e., TICONN Faraday Bag and Samfolk Faraday Boxes. Go on the web, they are there and are easy and safe to use.
That's fine and dandy for when your vehicle is parked at home. But when you are out away from home and need to unlock the car/truck......... they've still got ya. You can't unlock and drive it with the fob wrapped in foil.
Using a fob condom is only going to work when you park and store the fob in your house.

f33d

First Name
Maxwell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
People always do this tough guy talk but the reality is you’d most likely wake up with an empty spot where you Jeep used to be.

This has been happening for years.
Glass half full kinda guy I see.

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Glass half full kinda guy I see.
Glass full of reality.

Upwards of 1 million vehicles stolen every year in the United States… Most of which have a tough guy attitude sleeping in the bedroom when it happens.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Lunentucker

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
People Work?
Testing theory.

Started with fob inside truck, which would replicate the thief starting it with the relay device.
Handed the fob to my wife in the garage and drove away.

Drove well out of range.
There was no notification or alert from the vehicle that the fob was left behind.

Stopped and powered down, still without the fob. Powered back on, still without the fob, no problem.

Off camera I tested that further and it will let you restart once before it says fob is missing. I didn't get too far away because my helper had to walk the fob back to me if it failed - which it did on the second restart attempt.

So, yes, a thief can keep going, presumably indefinitely, as long as the engine is running. They may even be able to restart once, although that's not 100% proven at greater time and distance.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Drove well out of range.
There was no notification or alert from the vehicle that the fob was left behind.
My 2020, as well as each of my wife's Grand Cherokees, tells you the FOB has left the vehicle. In some Jeeps it really harps and annoys you. We were waiting at the airport one time for my son to arrive back from Korea. My wife was getting impatient and went inside to look for him and left me in her Jeep - engine running, as you aren't supposed to sit or park out front of the terminals so you have to move every few minutes then circle back around so their parking enforcement doesn't hassle you.
She had the fob clipped to her pants, merrily took off into the airport, me stuck in her Jeep with engine running listening to loud DING DING DING DING DING for 10 minutes.

OP
OP
Lunentucker

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
People Work?
My 2020, as well as each of my wife's Grand Cherokees, tells you the FOB has left the vehicle. In some Jeeps it really harps and annoys you. We were waiting at the airport one time for my son to arrive back from Korea. My wife was getting impatient and went inside to look for him and left me in her Jeep - engine running, as you aren't supposed to sit or park out front of the terminals so you have to move every few minutes then circle back around so their parking enforcement doesn't hassle you.
She had the fob clipped to her pants, merrily took off into the airport, me stuck in her Jeep with engine running listening to loud DING DING DING DING DING for 10 minutes.
Edit - Misread the first time. Mine alerts if the FOB is left in the vehicle, but with the engine running it gave no indication that we had been separated.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
The jeep tells you too. Not sure why his didn't. Mine does. It tells you immediately when it leaves the vehicle. The new ones (2022+) even beep at you.

OP
OP
Lunentucker

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
People Work?
The jeep tells you too. Not sure why his didn't. Mine does. It tells you immediately when it leaves the vehicle. The new ones (2022+) even beep at you.
Try it with the vehicle started and then hand the fob away.
Sponsored