Sponsored

Thoughts from a new Gladiator (and Jeep) owner after a 1100 mile drive home.

Elff

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ Rubicon, Buell XBRS
Occupation
Interwebs
Vehicle Showcase
To be honest, I do not know
I have to check the door jamb sticker
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I bought the Rubi take offs but I also run those at 36
Still on the same page. My stock Overland tires came to me at 41/42, then I bought Rubicon 33" take-offs (the Falken tires) and when i had the TPMS sensors put in and on my truck by a TIRE STORE - those were installed with 41 psi. I lowered to 36 and loved them. I took it in for some other work - got the truck back from the dealer with those Falken tires at 41 psi.
Then I sold those Falken Rubicon take-offs and bought 18" A/T tires (General A/Tx) through the Jeep dealer at tire store internet pricing and they installed them for me - you'll never in 100 posts guess the psi I got those back at.......

Last edited:

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR, '08 JKUX, '08 JKUS
Glad you are mostly enjoying it so far. I'm an android guy, and no real complaints once I went to a quality cable. I'm not doing any major off-road, so I didnt feel I needed one of those really heavy duty (ie expensive) phone mounts. A went with this cheap cup holder/phone mount and it's been perfect for my needs so far: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LCGKMVX

1642032029397.png

I power it with a short 12 inch double braided cable so there is no excess wire in the way.
Be careful with anything mounted on/near the passenger grab bar. There is a video on the airbag deployment that made me get rid of mine.

When the airbag deploys it will launch anything above/below and potentially to the side of the bar.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Be careful with anything mounted on/near the passenger grab bar. There is a video on the airbag deployment that made me get rid of mine.

When the airbag deploys it will launch anything above/below and potentially to the side of the bar.
I'd be interested in seeing that. Link if possible?
I'm curious as I have one of those "Trays" that simply sits in the dash passenger "Grab bar" giving a place to put small stuff. My wife sets her phone in that tray.
Maybe you are suggesting that's not cool?

I also agree with another post that the not so cheap quality USB cable I got (c on both ends and 90 degree connector at one end) made things a lot better for Android Auto or whatever it's called. It's still like my son says "so 1990s" but it works for basic stuff.

and no real complaints once I went to a quality cable.
Yeah, that's the post. The cable made a huge difference even though my other cables weren't exactly cheap/free stuff either.

Elff

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ Rubicon, Buell XBRS
Occupation
Interwebs
Vehicle Showcase
Do you know if this was by accident or they specified more air in the front. Generally in RWD vehicles, you put more air in the rear.
Just checked the placard and its supposed to be the same for all 4 tires.
So I just balanced them all out as it's cold and will see how it rides next time out.

As far as the CarPlay comments, Initially when IOS 15 came out, there were issues with a bunch of music services, but that got fixed in one of the 15.1 releases.
Aside from that, it works fine for me and I use Apple Maps. They are very accurate in my area.
I like it so much, I added a Double Din Radio with CarPlay in my TJ so I could have the bigger screen and I went down to an iPhone Mini since I did not need the larger screen for in car navigation anymore.
Jeep Gladiator Thoughts from a new Gladiator (and Jeep) owner after a 1100 mile drive home. 1642191549473

Sponsored

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
I'd be interested in seeing that. Link if possible?
I'm curious as I have one of those "Trays" that simply sits in the dash passenger "Grab bar" giving a place to put small stuff. My wife sets her phone in that tray.
Maybe you are suggesting that's not cool?
I will see if I can find it again. It was on some obscure site and wasn't easily "googled".

As far as the tray, the tray itself won't "launch" but depending on what's in it (and if it protrudes too far above) those objects just might. A cell phone in the face at
100+ MPH may sting a bit...

Basically the airbag deploys out above the bar and then a curtain shoots upward toward the dash and downward to protect the legs. The bar essentially gets covered on all sides.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I will see if I can find it again. It was on some obscure site and wasn't easily "googled".

As far as the tray, the tray itself won't "launch" but depending on what's in it (and if it protrudes too far above) those objects just might. A cell phone in the face at
100+ MPH may sting a bit...

Basically the airbag deploys out above the bar and then a curtain shoots upward toward the dash and downward to protect the legs. The bar essentially gets covered on all sides.
That info is helpful, thanks. I never gave a whole lot of thought as to exactly what direction that might pop out and what could be in the way.

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
That info is helpful, thanks. I never gave a whole lot of thought as to exactly what direction that might pop out and what could be in the way.
This isn't the video I saw, but you can get an idea of how the passenger side deploys.

Still looking for the other one...

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
This isn't the video I saw, but you can get an idea of how the passenger side deploys.

Still looking for the other one...
... and here you can see the beginning of the deployment. This is from the video I saw (it's a JT) but I can't find the video! (yet)

Jeep Gladiator Thoughts from a new Gladiator (and Jeep) owner after a 1100 mile drive home. Clipboard02

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Still on the same page. My stock Overland tires came to me at 41/42, then I bought Rubicon 33" take-offs (the Falken tires) and when i had the TPMS sensors put in and on my truck by a TIRE STORE - those were installed with 41 psi. I lowered to 36 and loved them. I took it in for some other work - got the truck back from the dealer with those Falken tires at 41 psi.
Then I sold those Falken Rubicon take-offs and bought 18" A/T tires (General A/Tx) through the Jeep dealer at tire store internet pricing and they installed them for me - you'll never in 100 posts guess the psi I got those back at.......
I twice on going in for oil change when it came back the tires were in the 40's the last time I went for oil change I asked the service tech to please put a note to inflate tires to no more than 36 and when I got it back they were at 36.

Sponsored

SSISailor

First Name
Milton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
All of you should consider a wireless CarPlay or android auto dongle. They’re available on Amazon. I have one for CarPlay and it works perfectly. Stowed and plugged into the usb in the center console. Out of sight, auto connects when I turn the truck on.

For CarPlay maps, make sure you’re in the map app, not the Home Screen. You’ll know you’re there because map will fill the screen. Tap on the map and + and - buttons appear on the right side of the screen for zoom. Also, as the previous user stated, an arrow will appear in the upper right corner. Tapping this arrow allows you to move through POV settings.

I’m happy with CarPlay now that I have the wireless dongle. My biggest disappointment is that it doesn’t fill my entire screen.
What flavor of dongle are you using? Does it connect reliably every time? I bought the "Drimfly AircarplayQ" off of Amazon, and it connects quickly only about 50% of the time. I often have to reboot it to connect. At first I kept it in the center console, but eventually moved it to the USB connector on the dash so I could reboot it rapidly.

2doxieLisa

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
It took me a few months of turning knobs and pushing buttons. if you turn off “auto” and Click off a/c then you can turn the knob which turns up the fan and brings in outside air. Which is helpful in East Texas in January when the temp is 70 outside and the “auto” doesn’t know whether to run heat or a/c…:)

FloridaJT6MT

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport Willys
What flavor of dongle are you using? Does it connect reliably every time? I bought the "Drimfly AircarplayQ" off of Amazon, and it connects quickly only about 50% of the time. I often have to reboot it to connect. At first I kept it in the center console, but eventually moved it to the USB connector on the dash so I could reboot it rapidly.
That’s the same one I’m using. Man that sucks. Mine connects about 9 out of 10 times without issue. Something odd I’ve noticed is that it seems to struggle more when my wife rides with me. I don’t know if having two iPhones near it causes an issue. I’ve never paired it to her phone. Other than that, it’s almost perfect when I’m driving alone, which is most of the time.

cotnballs2000

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Gladiator Diesel
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer, past- USAF vehicle mechanic
General, carplay, select your blue tooth device, add your app to car play. Waze shows up on my CarPlay in my JKR with the 8.4" screen.

Wolf Island Diver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Rubicon EcoDiesel
Occupation
Software Engineer
I have CarPlay2Air and the leatherseats.com Qi charging Sanctum center console and it’s a great combo. No problems with zoom or North up. As others have said touch the triangle.
My only real beef with CarPlay is it trying to be to smart and auto zoom all the time and the fact that it’s useless without a cell signal despite having a GPS chip because the route finding is all cloud-based. I can navigate out to someplace but then I have to use the Uconnect nav system or Gaia to get back. I use OnX and Gaia off road but prefer Apple/Google on road. Also iOS 15 on iPhone 13 ironically is a total dumpster fire. They need to take some of that massive cash pile and invest in some better software integration testing.
Sponsored