Sponsored

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
Same, we are planning a trip out there next summer to visit family and do Alpine loop/black bear pass, etc. This would 100% be a non starter if she saw it
Might be tough. This story has made it to the wife-sphere
Sponsored

Rainman519

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Tourist's supposedly hired both the Gladiator and driver from a local tour business. Driver was obviously seasoned and familiar with the roads, so it just goes to show you, it can happen to anyone, anytime. Be careful out there!

salvino

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GC Trailhawk/ 2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE
Occupation
Finance Guy
Vehicle Showcase
Stupid is what stupid does. Sympathy for stupidity?
So you have inside information that he didnā€™t have a heart attack or the like or that he didnā€™t get run off the road by someone?

phranican

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 YJ4.0l, '20 Telluride SX, '21JTR
The tour company was Colorado West Jeeps out of Ouray. You can see the same Jeep from this accident on Black Bear Pass in an instagram post here. Sorry for all involved.
Whoa, so the two passengers were sitting above the bed like that??

Sponsored

Nubs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys
I vacation here almost every summer. It's a very beautiful area and some of the passes are quite treacherous. I flipped 2 ATVs up there over the years and luckily lived to tell the tale.

So sorry to hear about this!

Randonexplosion

First Name
Randon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
I see tour vehicles like that all the time around here and Moab. Not very safe but they dont do very hard trails. Unfortunately it wouldnt have made a difference whether they were in the cab or not in this situation šŸ˜•

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
Per this news release, the passengers "remained inside the vehicle", so I don't believe they had those bed-mounted seats.

Always sad to see these stories, crazy how your adrenaline filled ride can turn deadly so quickly. With it being an experienced driver from the area, makes you wonder what all *could* have happened to cause it (medical emergency, oncoming traffic that fled the scene, lapse of judgment, etc), but probably best to just chalk it up as a cautionary tale for now.

Be safe out there all!

Akgladiator

Banned
Banned
First Name
Ak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Gladiator Wrangler Camaro Mustang GXP Taurus
Occupation
Bee
So you have inside information that he didnā€™t have a heart attack or the like or that he didnā€™t get run off the road by someone?
What do u think u should be doing when u are driving in that kind of environment????

Extra precautions and defensive driving is needed. If you are not up to that level then don't go. If you still want to go, that means something is wrong with your head!

HooliganActual

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
What do u think u should be doing when u are driving in that kind of environment????

Extra precautions and defensive driving is needed. If you are not up to that level then don't go. If you still want to go, that means something is wrong with your head!
FWIW, itā€™s all speculation until there is some coronerā€™s report that says cause of death was the impact or something else, or a witness comes out saying ā€œYeah, I was going too fast and ran them off the roadā€. However, most people donā€™t know that they are going to have a heart attack at 1232 on that given day.

I donā€™t disagree with everything that has been said by everyone that we really need to be careful when we are out there on these dangerous roads, but your ā€œdeliveryā€ is a bit harsh even if he was inexperienced or being careless. Forget about the driver, think about the two people that hired the tour. Did they get what was coming to them as youā€™re implying?!?!

What if it was a relative of yours that was driving in that accident and I said what you said about them? Would you feel I was right in saying those things. Itā€™s not like this guy was liquored up jumping his brand new Ford Raptor and then surprised at the end result like that viral video.

Take your foot off the gas and have a heart.

Sponsored

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
We also donā€™t know if it was even their fault. Iā€™ve almost been run off the road there before by a tourist in s rental Jeep doing like 30 around a blind corner. I would have totally died. It was a shelf road and hundreds of feet down. I still have no idea how he didnā€™t go over the edge. He didnā€™t even slow down.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Condolences to the family's
No mud to be slung by me on this. I damn sure don't like shelf roads. I was driving on some last week but on my 4wheeler they were as bad as could be to the point of Oh. S### if we would have had oncoming traffic even on 4wheelers. I've not like shelf roads since I was driving as personal security in Bosnia, a few times I had everyone get out and walk just in case I couldn't successfully make the switch back turns in the up-armor SUV and went off the edge. The 1151 up-armor hummers escourt teams had a had times too. We had to ram the rear end of vehicles into the walls making maybe 2-3 ft movements. A CJ, or YJ /TJ would have been best and more capable of it. No F###ing way I'd take my JT on them trails I drove in Bosnia. Ever since that I've really not liked shelf roads and trails.