Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired College Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
I just finished a six-day vacation trip from TX>CO>WY>MT>SD and back with my Glad Sport and my R135 trailer. It was a BLAST. 3,281 miles driven; average MPG of 10.5; and approximately 69 hours behind the wheel.

I learned several things along the way:
  1. When you're pulling a trailer in the states of CO, WY, MT, and SD, it doesn't matter how recently you filled up -- stop and fill up again when you see a gas station. You can quite literally go hours without seeing a place to top off the tank! If/when I go again, I'll take at least two Jerrycans of gas. I never ran dry, but I did come close a couple of times.
  2. The Gladiator does fine going up and down steep grades in the mountains.
  3. There are really, really large swaths of land up there where there is zero cell signal, so make sure you don't need to "research" places to stay or places to gas up while you're on the road (see point one above!). Do those things before you hit the road for the day.
  4. While there are lots of flat areas with not much to look at, there are places up there that are stunningly beautiful. Devil's Tower is breathtaking.
  5. Everyone I met and talked to was nice and they loved the look of the Gladiator.
  6. I saw several other Gladiators along the way, many of which were also pulling TTs.
  7. I hate parallel parking a trailer ... at night ... in a tiny spot between two Airstream TTs ... after driving all day. LOL
  8. If you've not been to Little Bighorn battlefield, Devil's Tower, Mount Rushmore, or Estes Park -- you need to go. It's well worth the drive.
Jeep Gladiator To the Great Plains and back IMG_1447

Jeep Gladiator To the Great Plains and back IMG_1448

Jeep Gladiator To the Great Plains and back MVF_3769

Jeep Gladiator To the Great Plains and back MVF_3878
Sponsored

Last edited:

WhippetTaxi

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2017 Lotus Evora 410, 2011 BMW 1M, 2001 F250
Occupation
Retired
You covered a lot of territory in just six days! Thanks for the photos and the report. Glad to hear that the Gladiator does okay towing in the mountains.

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
I saw several other Gladiators along the way, many of which were also pulling TTs
For a moment there I read "TT" as "tractor trailers" - that would be impressive.

Great looking trailer & tow rig.
Sponsored